urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Partly true, but they play a doubleheader today. The fact the Cards went right to Gallegos with a 4 run lead and everyone rested can't be a great sign that they'd burn him early and not reserve him for a more high leverage situation (either later in Game 1 or for Game 2). 

I feel you on this, but if I'm managing a team coming off of a 2 week lay-off and I have a 5-1 run lead on the road with the heart of the order of a dangerous power hitting lineup coming up, I'm putting my best guy in there to hold that comfortable lead. Getting that first win is super important to set the tone for your club, more-so than if it was any other game throughout the season, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Do Buttrey or Sulser have a chance to hold on to their jobs ROS? Or are we just waiting for Robles to take over fully/Harvey to come back?

1 minute ago, Rotofan24 said:

Andrew Miller up for Cardinals to close it out. 

Trying to relive his glory days!!

a handful of years back he was as nasty as there was

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Reyes puts the cards bullpen on notice with an impressive 1-2-3 inning for his season debut with 3 Ks, fastball range 97.1-99.5. 

Edited by cyberer

14 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Reyes puts the cards bullpen on notice with an impressive 1-2-3 inning for his season debut with 3 Ks, fastball range 97.1-99.5. 

Is he next behind Miller... just curious your speculation 

35 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Trying to relive his glory days!!

a handful of years back he was as nasty as there was

Loved watching him when he was on the yankees

3 hours ago, CrawfordMVP said:

Do Buttrey or Sulser have a chance to hold on to their jobs ROS? Or are we just waiting for Robles to take over fully/Harvey to come back?

Sulser is sneaky good.  I am getting a Koji Uehara vibe with him.  A junk ball closer that is effective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Harvey will get the job when he gets back.

between the injuries and his last 2 years in the minors being very blah, not sure how true this statement actually is

4 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Harvey will get the job when he gets back.

Maybe...maybe not. 

4 hours ago, CrawfordMVP said:

Sulser has a better shot of the two. Buttrey used to be good, but has looked pretty blah this entire year and might have already lost the Angels job back to Robles. If Buttrey still has it, he's on thin ice. Sulser seems the best of a weak group on the Orioles. Harvey looms, but may never be healthy and certainly won't just be given the job once/if he is.

Kintzler gave up a dong to Duvall tonight and took the loss after entering in the 9th in a 1-1 game and going down to 2-1. Also gave up a hit but got 2 K's. Tough to give up a HR to Duvall but should be fine in his role moving forward.

Pressly getting ready to come in in a 2-1 game against Seattle. Going to be very important for him and his role security to get this save and not give up more than 1 hit or walk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Here we go Pressly..lol

Finally what we all wanted to see. 

• Like 1

Who is coming in for the Giants save opp?

6 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

You got GOTT

Trevor Gott is a hilariously bad closer.  I thought Wade Davis and his 8.65 ERA last year would be the worst I'd ever see from a closer, but Gott's ERA is now over 9.  And he only has 3 strikeouts in 6.1 IP.  It's rare to see a closer average less than a K per IP, let alone worse than 0.5 K per IP.  Gott has no business being in the major leagues, let alone closing.