Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rotofan24 said:

Don't think Gott is closer anymore after this. Ouch. 

Gott has allowed more HRs than he has strikeouts this year.   He might the worst pitcher I've ever seen.  Yet somehow he's closing for the Giants.  That's Gabe Kapler for you.

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Damn that great orioles offense..gonna blow my Sulser save opp

😡😡

I believe he will still get credit for one.  It matters when he came in and whether he completes the game.

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Rogers and Watson are the other options 😁

Rogers sucks too (although not as bad as Gott obviously).  Watson's actually pretty good and has had a very solid major league career (career 2.81 ERA).  He's clearly the best pitcher in the Giants bullpen.

10 hours ago, cyberer said:

Classic kapler. Willfully refusing to use his best reliever (who pitched a scoreless 8th) to close out games. It’s easy to be the smartest guy in the room when no one wants to be in a room with you for a reason.

I said what I said. Stand by it now that he made the mistake 2 days in a row. 

4 minutes ago, mortl said:

Gott sucks

Gott has allowed in 5 HRs and has only 3 strikeouts.  I've never seen a stat quite like that before.  He simply has no business being in the major leagues, let alone closing.  As a Tony Watson fantasy owner, it's been very frustrating watching Kapler inexplicably use Gott as closer

12 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Guys look on the bright side. Only four runs tonight for Gott. Trending in the right direction. 

Gott makes Wade Davis look like a Cy Young award winner.  Gott has both more walks than strikeouts and more home runs allowed than strikeouts.  Has any pitcher in baseball history ever done that?  To be perfectly frank, most position players would make better pitchers than Gott.

I'm hoping Watson finally gets the closer role after this, but with Kapler, you never know.

Edited by FootballFan101
1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Yes I know who he is, point being he will not be put into the closers role ahead of a veteran who is pitching well with closer experience like Watson has

With Gabe Kapler, you never know.  Kapler evidently thinks a pitcher who walks more guys than he strikes out and allows more homeruns than he strikes out is a good idea to use at closer.

13 minutes ago, B&F said:

I believe he will still get credit for one.  It matters when he came in and whether he completes the game.

10 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Not if they had scored 2 or 3 more runs like it looked like they might, only ended up with one

First post was correct. If a pitcher comes into a save situation in the eighth, it doesn't matter how many runs are scored subsequently, as long as he finishes the game he is credited with a save. The concern would be if the O's had broken it open and decided to finish it out with a lower leverage reliever.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Gott has allowed in 5 HRs and has only 3 strikeouts.  I've never seen a stat quite like that before.  He simply has no business being in the major leagues, let alone closing.  As a Tony Watson fantasy owner, it's been very frustrating watching Kapler inexplicably use Gott as closer

He's an awful manager and I'm not sure why anybody hired him after the Phillies fired him, but in his defense, Gott was doing pretty good up until these last two disastrous appearances.

It's a shame for people that held onto him for some stupid reason like me thinking there's no way Kapler would throw him out there again the very next night after an epic meltdown, but here we are.  Kapler needs to be out of the majors.

31 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Not if they had scored 2 or 3 more runs like it looked like they might, only ended up with one

Pretty sure he would have. It depends on what the score and situation is when he enters the game. They could have score 15 runs in the 9th, and he still would have gotten the save. 

ETA...I should have kept reading. Lol. 

Edited by Flyman75
1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

He's an awful manager and I'm not sure why anybody hired him after the Phillies fired him, but in his defense, Gott was doing pretty good up until these last two disastrous appearances.

It's a shame for people that held onto him for some stupid reason like me thinking there's no way Kapler would throw him out there again the very next night after an epic meltdown, but here we are.  Kapler needs to be out of the majors.

You can take him out of the lineup yourself right?