Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

2 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

You can take him out of the lineup yourself right?

At the risk of going all "cool story bro", it was dumb, but I didn't have anybody to replace him yet, so I just left him in there since I didn't think there was any chance Kapler was going to be dumb enough to use him the very next day.

It should be interesting to see who gets their next save opportunity at the very least.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

Montero finally gave up a hit and an earned run (thanks to an inning starting catcher's interference) but rebounded to get 2k's and a flyout (K'd Story to end game) to get another Save. Mostly used that rising fastball tonight and it was just beating the hitters.

6 minutes ago, aapox said:

Montero finally gave up a hit and an earned run (thanks to an inning starting catcher's interference) but rebounded to get 2k's and a flyout (K'd Story to end game) to get another Save. Mostly used that rising fastball tonight and it was just beating the hitters.

It'll be unearned 

• Thanks 1

I know we talked about closers obliterating our ratios, but Gott almost single handedly too me from an ERA in the 1s to an ERA over 5 this week.  That's really quite incredible.  I rage dropped him without a care as to what his role might be going forward.

• Haha 3

Well looks like Pomeranz can just run wit it for a long time if not forever:

Padres' manager Jayce Tingler said Saturday that the MRI on right-hander Kirby Yates revealed bone chips in the back of his elbow.

Yates will get a second opinion on Monday. He had been battling elbow soreness for a few days before he was finally removed from Friday's appearance after throwing only six pitches. It certainly sounds like it could be an extended stay on the injured list. Drew Pomeranz is expected to serve as the Padres' primary closer in his absence.

Source: Dennis Lin on Twitter                      Aug 15, 2020, 11:50 PM ET

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well looks like Pomeranz can just run wit it for a long time if not forever:

Closers should never be considered long term pieces.  One to two years.  They should be traded at the height of their value.  

25 minutes ago, B&F said:

Closers should never be considered long term pieces.  One to two years.  They should be traded at the height of their value.  

If they are good why trade them?   Use them at their peak and cut them when they aren't.  Because everyone knows their shelf-life is short if their first name isn't Mariano so who would give you anything worthwhile for a closer that is only going to last a few weeks to a couple of months anyway?

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I know we talked about closers obliterating our ratios, but Gott almost single handedly too me from an ERA in the 1s to an ERA over 5 this week.  That's really quite incredible.  I rage dropped him without a care as to what his role might be going forward.

Gott ratios?

1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

re: Yates
Aren’t bone chips a near best-case scenario?

Pitchers pitch through bone chips all the time and clean it up in the off-season. I think the latest case was sonny gray last year. 

He has a sore elbow.  He can't pitch normally when it is sore.  He would have to fight through the pain and the psychological fact that he knows he could make the arm worse. He would be changing his mechanics etc to compensate.  And not all bone chips are the same.  I have no idea if this is a major injury but it seems major enough that he can't pitch with them right now.

9 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Rogers sucks too (although not as bad as Gott obviously).  Watson's actually pretty good and has had a very solid major league career (career 2.81 ERA).  He's clearly the best pitcher in the Giants bullpen.

Watson used to be good, but he’s pitching on fumes now. People are going to be adding him everywhere seeing his shiny 1.59 ERA and clear path to the closer gig. But, last year he had an average fastball velocity of 93.0 but yet still pitched to a 6.83 k/9, 4.81 FIP, and 4.89 FIP. He’s 35 and now after dealing with shoulder problems in March he’s got a 89.4 average fastball velocity this year yet a 1.59 ERA? That doesn’t add up. His BABIP has been around.295 the past 3 years but in the early going sits at .176.

I don’t blame anyone for adding him if you’re desperate for saves, but you should be aware that he probably sucks, pitches on a bad team, and has the biggest knucklehead in baseball making decisions in the dugout. He might in fact be the best pitcher in the bullpen but that’s like saying prostate cancer is the best type of cancer to get. (And for the record I actually think Sam Selman is the best pitcher in that dumpster fire of a ‘pen).

• Like 3
20 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I don't think so. The peripherals were screaming ugly days ahead. I don't expect him to melt down every outing, but I think more blowups are a virtual guarantee. He's never been more than a middling guy at best. If you're desperate for saves I understand you've sometimes gott to play with fire, but I didn't want him and still don't. I think he's getting replaced this year.

Two guys I'm buying on the cheap are Edwin Diaz and Kimbrel. I was in on Diaz but moved on shortly after he melted down. But he's quietly been putting together a nice little run the last couple weeks. Since August started he's pitched in 6 games, going 6 innings with no runs, 4 hits, 12 strikeouts, and 1 walk. Nobody else in the bullpen has laid claim to the closer role, and with Lugo blowing it last night I feel Edwin could get another shot sooner rather than later.

Kimbrel is a guy I didn't want to touch this season, and felt his early struggles justified my opinions. Last night he came out firing 97 regularly. I'm not sure where the hell that came from or if maybe the gun was just running hot, but it's very interesting. If he's on the wire I'm picking him up while he's free. If - granted a big if - that velocity has suddenly come back, we've got ourselves a guy with elite upside on a good team and a manager who would love to give him the role.

Ugh I've Gott to rethink things...

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Watson used to be good, but he’s pitching on fumes now. People are going to be adding him everywhere seeing his shiny 1.59 ERA and clear path to the closer gig. But, last year he had an average fastball velocity of 93.0 but yet still pitched to a 6.83 k/9, 4.81 FIP, and 4.89 FIP. He’s 35 and now after dealing with shoulder problems in March he’s got a 89.4 average fastball velocity this year yet a 1.59 ERA? That doesn’t add up. His BABIP has been around.295 the past 3 years but in the early going sits at .176.

I don’t blame anyone for adding him if you’re desperate for saves, but you should be aware that he probably sucks, pitches on a bad team, and has the biggest knucklehead in baseball making decisions in the dugout. He might in fact be the best pitcher in the bullpen but that’s like saying prostate cancer is the best type of cancer to get. (And for the record I actually think Sam Selman is the best pitcher in that dumpster fire of a ‘pen).

Watsons available too but I think I'm off the SF closer carousel, not worth the ratio explosions and headaches 

13 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

He's an awful manager and I'm not sure why anybody hired him after the Phillies fired him, but in his defense, Gott was doing pretty good up until these last two disastrous appearances.

It's a shame for people that held onto him for some stupid reason like me thinking there's no way Kapler would throw him out there again the very next night after an epic meltdown, but here we are.  Kapler needs to be out of the majors.

This article makes it sound like Kapler's sticking with Gott

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/giants-gabe-kapler-still-believes-trevor-gott-after-two-meltdowns

The funny thing is Gott, with his 12.86 ERA, has actually been fortunate his ERA is not worse.  His FIP is currently 14.14.  He's been ridiculously lucky with BABIP (.136 BABIP), yet he still has a 12.86 ERA.  I don't think I've ever seen a major league pitcher as horrendous at Gott.  But that's Gabe Kapler for you, using the worst pitcher on his staff as closer, to try to show what a genius he is.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, meh2 said:

I agree Watson's best years are clearly behind him.  However, all a closer has to do is be non-terrible to be worth owning in fantasy.  Watson's 4.17 ERA and 1.26 WHIP last year, while a far cry from his prime, isn't going to significantly hurt your team's ratios.  Unless you're in a super small league, I think grabbing a closer with a 4.17 ERA and 1.26 WHIP is worth owning just for the saves.

1 hour ago, metropolitans said:

Watsons available too but I think I'm off the SF closer carousel, not worth the ratio explosions and headaches 

This. Ever since they hired Kapler, I made it a point to avoid this bullpen. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I agree Watson's best years are clearly behind him.  However, all a closer has to do is be non-terrible to be worth owning in fantasy.  Watson's 4.17 ERA and 1.26 WHIP last year, while a far cry from his prime, isn't going to significantly hurt your team's ratios.  Unless you're in a super small league, I think grabbing a closer with a 4.17 ERA and 1.26 WHIP is worth owning just for the saves.

To each his own. Guys who aren’t currently closers that are available in many leagues that I’d rather speculate on than Watson: Robles, Karinchak, Romano, Staumont, Soto, Rainey, Reyes, and Selman. A 4.17 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, k/9 less than 7 reliever with a chance at a few saves isn’t worth wasting a roster spot on, but that’s just my playing style. I’d rather take a chance on the upside plays.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Romano came in for the Jays top of the 9th tied 2-2, gives up a solo shot to Brandon Lowe. Bass’ leash grows longer.

We can forgive Romano for giving up a HR to one of the best hitters in the AL

17 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Romano came in for the Jays top of the 9th tied 2-2, gives up a solo shot to Brandon Lowe. Bass’ leash grows longer.

Not what I had in mind. 😢

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

This article makes it sound like Kapler's sticking with Gott

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/giants-gabe-kapler-still-believes-trevor-gott-after-two-meltdowns

The funny thing is Gott, with his 12.86 ERA, has actually been fortunate his ERA is not worse.  His FIP is currently 14.14.  He's been ridiculously lucky with BABIP (.136 BABIP), yet he still has a 12.86 ERA.  I don't think I've ever seen a major league pitcher as horrendous at Gott.  But that's Gabe Kapler for you, using the worst pitcher on his staff as closer, to try to show what a genius he is.

Wow, I will repeat myself.  Kapler should not be in the majors at all.  I knew there were going to be issues with the Giants after they hired him since he was such an awful manager for the Phillies, but even Gott's mother would likely take him out of the closers role at this point.

Gott obviously is not this bad.  His past stats prove that, but it's not like he's some lights out guy either that deserves a leash after two debacles in a row.

As for Watson, he shouldn't be the closer either.  I'm not going to bother looking, but they have to have somebody else that could be decent at least. Watson is a solid setup man.  Always has been for the most part, but I remember watching him eventually meltdown as the closer in Pittsburgh.  He just doesn't have the mentality for it, but again, he's a good setup man.  That's his thing, just like some other pitchers.

• Like 1