urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

2 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

He only has pitched 2 innings but looks filthy. Still think as others have said Miller is the closer for now and GG main set up guy. Maybe after a few more outings and a Miller implosion things could change but in S+H he’s a good pickup.

I think they’re going to mix and match these guys based on matchups. But I do think these are the 2 guys.

Up I55, it seems like we may have a 3 guy committee happening soon:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/if-cubs-craig-kimbrel-walks-closer-talks-closer-he-closer?amp

Rage dropped Hudson for Rainey this morning in a S+H league. Felt damn good after last night's implosion. His K9 is off the charts.

Also had to cut Taylor Williams after being brought in to pitch the 5th yesterday. Don't have time for that nonsense in this short season.

40 minutes ago, aapox said:

I think they’re going to mix and match these guys based on matchups. But I do think these are the 2 guys.

Up I55, it seems like we may have a 3 guy committee happening soon:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/if-cubs-craig-kimbrel-walks-closer-talks-closer-he-closer?amp

Add Carlos Martinez to the mix when he returns. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Was he not moved to rotation?

Link

56 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

With the amount of doubleheaders that the Cardinals are going to have to play my guess is that they are going to need CMart much more as a starter than at the back end. If he is in the bullpen, more likely a bulk role to give them innings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Was he not moved to rotation?

Link

Before he had COVID, yes. I don’t know what they’ll do. They moved Kim to the rotation and CMart has to ramp back up. I thought it would make more sense to get him back as a reliever. But who knows.

2 hours ago, cizastro said:

Any chance Sam Selman gets a look in SF after the Gott implosion?

To be manager? B)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Pressly with a nice 10th inning..1 hit allowed and 2 strikeouts

True, but also an IBB. And after he struck out Arenado with 1 out and Story on 3rd, they walked Murphy and then he hung a breaking ball and Tapia drove it into center for a single.

He had a good chance to hold them without a run for a really, really good shot at winning and wasn't able to. I'm not too worried about it and he still looked good, but a bummer, for sure.

(I like your condensed, optimistic version :))

Posted (edited)

Yency Almonte throws his name into the Rockies closer mix. Couldn't hold the one-run lead in the 10th but would have been a scoreless inning without the ghost runner. Bard worked a clean ninth.

(Please only read if truly desperate. Chasing Rockies saves not for the faint of heat)

Edited by JameisofThrones

27 minutes ago, aapox said:

True, but also an IBB. And after he struck out Arenado with 1 out and Story on 3rd, they walked Murphy and then he hung a breaking ball and Tapia drove it into center for a single.

He had a good chance to hold them without a run for a really, really good shot at winning and wasn't able to. I'm not too worried about it and he still looked good, but a bummer, for sure.

(I like your condensed, optimistic version :))

Yeah, Didn’t include the IBB because it had nothing to do with how he looked and what he was responsible for

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Yency Almonte throws his name into the Rockies closer mix. Couldn't hold the one-run lead in the 10th but would have been a scoreless inning without the ghost runner. Bard worked a clean ninth.

(Please only read if truly desperate. Chasing Rockies saves not for the faint of heat)

Yeah I'm out on Jairo Diaz now. The guy is walking way too many.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, rlaalsrb said:

Ugh, Pomeranz in 7th inning

he hasn’t pitched forever..just getting in some work with a big lead

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992

44 minutes ago, rlaalsrb said:

‘Ugh’ is right. <_<

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

‘Ugh’ is right. <_<

2 hours ago, rlaalsrb said:

Should we be adding quantril now?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Also had to cut Taylor Williams after being brought in to pitch the 5th yesterday. Don't have time for that nonsense in this short season.

Sorry but this is a mistake.  He hadn't gotten work in a while and the last time he was randomly brought in in early innings / non-save situations two days in a row he actually got the save on day 3.

Yea it's a crappy situation and yea Hirano may complicate it but Taylor Williams is 100% the current SEA closer.

Edited by Magoo

12 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Hudson in to close out the Braves 

looks like he bought himself some leash 

• Like 1

Taylor Rogers bs