Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Best RP in baseball Nick Anderson with another HOLD!!!  Where all my saves+holds people at??

This is beyond frustrating.  Seemed like they had him starting to close and then just like that he's back to setup again despite dominant outings.  I just don't get it. 

6 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Dolis trying to save it right now for Jays. Understand why they stayed away from Bass after he threw two innings yesterday, but they passed over Romano after only throwing 19 pitches and having the previous two days off. Probably figuring Dolis could handle the three-run cushion and keep the pen fresh, but still disappointing.

You know they do have a DH tomorrow, I didn't realize that. Gotta think they were saving guys for that with the 3 run lead.

9 minutes ago, cizastro said:

This is beyond frustrating.  Seemed like they had him starting to close and then just like that he's back to setup again despite dominant outings.  I just don't get it. 

They're using him where he's needed most, and not just saving him for the ninth inning when there might not be any real threat?

8 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

So Diaz working the eighth/ninth tonight makes sense as the Mets announced after the game that Lugo is moving to the rotation (and Matz to the pen). Free Edwin!

[...as he blows another save]

11 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

[...as he blows another save]

Technically, yes, if you want to blame him for not cleaning up Betances' mess in the eighth. But striking out the side in order in the ninth with a 5-3 lead feels like a pretty good audition to get his job back to me. Free Edwin!

(Yes I realize it was the Marlins. Baby steps)

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Technically, yes, if you want to blame him for not cleaning up Betances' mess in the eighth. But striking out the side in order in the ninth with a 5-3 lead feels like a pretty good audition to get his job back to me. Free Edwin!

The Mets know what they're dealing with. Diaz has already been demoted. Maybe he "wins" the job back by default but he responded w/another blown save when opportunity knocked tonight. He needed 1 out and didn't get it - then he got a bunch of other outs in a different role. So I don't know what to expect from the team that already demoted once him for BSs.

This was an opportunity wasted - so I don't think it's a done deal that he just re-assumes the role after blowing a win once again.

3 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

The Mets know what they're dealing with. Diaz has already been demoted. Maybe he "wins" the job back by default but he responded w/another blown save when opportunity knocked tonight. He needed 1 out and didn't get it - then he got a bunch of other outs in a different role. So I don't know what to expect from the team that already demoted once him for BSs.

This was an opportunity wasted - so I don't think it's a done deal that he just re-assumes the role after blowing a win once again.

Look, I agree that nothing is a given in the Mets bullpen and am not denying that Diaz is a gasoline can. But all blown saves aren't created equal and to say that "then he got a bunch of other outs in different role" is disingenuous and plain wrong. He got three outs starting with a clean ninth with his team up by two runs. That is exactly his role as a closer.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Look, I agree that nothing is a given in the Mets bullpen and am not denying that Diaz is a gasoline can. But all blown saves aren't created equal and to say that "then he got a bunch of other outs in different role" is disingenuous and plain wrong. He got three outs starting with a clean ninth with his team up by two runs. That is exactly his role as a closer.

Fair enough - we shall see. I'm holding him after his recovery tonight (was ready to drop) - but the leash is short in fantasy and reality at this point regardless of all the other chaos in this pen. He can be a grease fire at times and in the end I think we all get burned JMO.

Edited by SuperJoint
2 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

He also got squeezed on the Grisham ab.

Alfonso Marquez is officially on my S-list now. He was squeezing Lynn all game and giving Paddack everything off both sides of the plate.

Honestly, it should have been 3-2, runner on 3rd and 2 outs to face Tatis. That pitch against Grisham was an obvious strike call. Not even borderline.

Long story short, cool story bro aside, Montero will be fine.

Edited by aapox
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

They're using him where he's needed most, and not just saving him for the ninth inning when there might not be any real threat?

Looking at the lineup he faced compared to the 9th I'm not sure the 8th inning guys were more of a threat than the 9th inning guys.  8th inning had Urshela, Voit and Mike Ford.  The 9th had Gleyber, Gary Sanchez, Gardner (Andujar also batted).  Seems like the 9th inning had the more potent bats.

• Like 1

Today was rough for relievers that had been decent up to this point 

Britton gave up 2 and took the loss, and is DTD now 

Kintzler gave up 2 in his showing that’s runs in 3 of his last 4 (one save 2 losses) 

Montero gave up 3 but was squeezed by the ump as discussed above 

Miller gave up 2 as well 

how are we all feeling about these guys moving forward 

• Like 1