urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

Posted (edited)

"Drew Pomeranz is dealing with shoulder tightness according to Padres manager Jayce Tingler."

Given Drew's injury history... Not good.

Edited by TheChamp

Re: the SD closer situation, keep an eye on universally un-owned Matt Strahm.  Why, you say?

Career as SP: 106.2 IP, 5.06 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 1.86 HR/9, 24.1% K%, .267 AVG

Career as RP: 131.9 IP, 2.65 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 0.97 HR/9, 26.6% K%, .194 AVG

Dude was a good prospect, has a four-pitch mix, and is pegged as a long-relief guy.  Yet... he has not pitched over 2 innings in a game this season and routinely goes for 1.1 or 1.2.  Yates is done for the year, Pomeranz is having shoulder issues and has an injury history, Pagan is crapping the bed, Patino has walked as many as he's struck out, and Stammen has 18 blown saves to 5 saves in his career.  So that leaves... Matt mf-ing Strahm.

2020 so far: 13.1 IP, 2.02 ERA, 0.45 WHIP, 6 K, 0 BB, 6 H, 3 HR.

The K rate is way down and the HRs way up, but he's generating 42.1% ground ball contact.  Oh, and he qualifies for SP in Yahoo.  I was right about Rosenthal in KC, can I go 2 for 2?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Re: the SD closer situation, keep an eye on universally un-owned Matt Strahm.  Why, you say?

Dude was a good prospect, has a four-pitch mix, and is pegged as a long-relief guy.  Yet... he has not pitched over 2 innings in a game this season and routinely goes for 1.1 or 1.2.  Yates is done for the year, Pomeranz is having shoulder issues and has an injury history, Pagan is crapping the bed, Patino has walked as many as he's struck out, and Stammen has 18 blown saves to 5 saves in his career.  So that leaves... Matt mf-ing Strahm.

The K rate is way down and the HRs way up, but he's generating 42.1% ground ball contact.  Oh, and he qualifies for SP in Yahoo.  I was right about Rosenthal in KC, can I go 2 for 2?

This makes sense.

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I was thinking this as well.  He's been on my watch list since the season started because of his value as a reliever in a SP slot. 

He hasnt been getting lots of K's this year but in previous years,  he had over a strikeout per inning.

Last year, he was a sleeper SP coming into the season but got rocked his first start.  He settled down but after July, he was a reliever.
One big problem with him as closer is that he has not relieved much on successive days and i don't think he had good success the few times he tried.

I just don’t see one guy emerging if Drew is out for a while. I can see it going more committee but I’d have money on Pagan first. Strahm might have the better stuff but he’s also a guy that can be trusted for an inning plus that makes me think fireman more than closer.  Stammen, Quantril, Pagan could be a mess there 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tristan0823 said:

I just don’t see one guy emerging if Drew is out for a while. I can see it going more committee but I’d have money on Pagan first. Strahm might have the better stuff but he’s also a guy that can be trusted for an inning plus that makes me think fireman more than closer.  Stammen, Quantril, Pagan could be a mess there 

4 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Is pagan usually really good but his numbers this early in the year are inflated by a couple bad outings? Could you see him improving on those considering his stats were really good last year?

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Is pagan usually really good but his numbers this early in the year are inflated by a couple bad outings? Could you see him improving on those considering his stats were really good last year?

Pagan has been bad. There have been a few bad outings, but he has let up at least 1 ER in 5 of 11 appearances this year, with 3 of those being multi-run innings. He has not been good.  5.7 BB/9 and 8.2 K/9, not great at all. 

Its going to be a mess. Mostly because half of their bullpen is actually SPs. Quantrill, Strahm, Patino, Morejon, are all aiming for that 5th SP spot. Along with the Padres bullpen ERA being in the clouds, its going to be constantly changing based on who is hot and matchups, and it is going to be frustrating. 

22 hours ago, cizastro said:

Non-save opp though.  A lot of closers get roughed up when they're brought in for non-save situations.  I don't really see anyone else in that bullpen that's making a great case to take the reigns at this point.  They do have a guy in Middleton who has some absolute gas, but he also walks a ton of guys so I don't see him being a viable alternative.

What about Buttrey?  <ducks>

Honestly though, he hasn't allowed a run since the 2nd.  He's actually been pretty solid this year, knock on wood.

• Like 1

I haven't visited here all season, but I just pulled an offer for Jansen and decided I would come try my luck here instead. Glutton for punishment, I guess. 

Rumor mill pumping out Phillies interested in Workman. Doubt he'd get the ninth right away, but it would at least give the Phillies another established option if Neris continues to struggle. There are worse places he could land if you are Workman owner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

Who would replace Workman in Boston?

image.jpeg.b4d9fc055c27b5c78da1d8ac84f352f6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Barnes is only potential replacement in Boston I'd think about picking up---though he could be dealt himself and is no sure thing anyway

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

I'd guess Barnes right now followed by Hembree but I'm sure they are both on the block as well. Austin Brice / Josh Taylor could be a righty-lefty committee if everyone goes. Probably not worth the trouble.

Edited by JameisofThrones

3 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Rumor mill pumping out Phillies interested in Workman. Doubt he'd get the ninth right away, but it would at least give the Phillies another established option if Neris continues to struggle. There are worse places he could land if you are Workman owner.

Yes and Heath Hembree, a set-up guy, could be going out the door with him.

2 hours ago, slaphitter said:

Definitely Matt Barnes.  And he has said repeatedly he doesn't like being a closer.  He doesn't like the pressure.  His stats back him up.  Avoid him at all costs.

Plus rumor has it that the Sox are trying to move him too.  If you have a dumpster fire for a bullpen best put in young guys that are at least at league minimum wage.  Maybe one of these young pieces of mud will stick to the wall.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Deal almost done:

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are finalizing a trade with the Phillies and that both Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree are involved.

This rumor has been growing legs all day and it looks like it's now near completion. The Phillies' bullpen has been in absolute shambles lately, and blowing multiple leads on Thursday appears to have been the final straw. Workman should be expected to function as the team's closer in Philadelphia, while Matt Barnes seems to be the most likely candidate to work in the ninth inning for the Red Sox.

Source: Alex Speier on Twitter   Aug 21, 2020, 8:58 PM ET

Rotoworld Blurb Man thinks Workman will be the closer in Philly.  Why?

Also avoid Matt Barnes like the plague.  He is semi-workable as a set-up guy but has been bad when put into the closer position.  He hates closing.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)

It's official.  Sox get Nick Pivetta back and cash and/or player to be named later for Workman and Hembree who are Philly bound.  From one dumpster fire bullpen to the other, haha.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's official.  Sox get Nick Pivetta back and cash and/or player to be named later for Workman and Hembree who are Philly bound.

Nothing like kickstarting your rebuild by trading for Nick Pivetta!

• Haha 8

Have been considering dropping neris for roster space, and as equally bad as Workman has been, not sure neris will keep his job

26 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Have been considering dropping neris for roster space, and as equally bad as Workman has been, not sure neris will keep his job

Don’t be too quick ; I own Workman. And he hasn’t been that good either. Workman might set up.  I don’t mind because we use holds as well.