urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

Workman traded and Barnes with his first save tonight 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A couple of quotes on Kela to maybe make owners feel a little better. Still not great. He's was probably the next domino to fall in the reliever trade market if he could demonstrate that he's healthy anyway. RichRod up next?

Pirates manager Derek Shelton said Keone Kela felt some tightness in his forearm. Shelton said he “was erring way on the side of safety” by taking him out immediately.

Pirates manager Derek Shelton said Keone Kela experienced forearm tightness and was taken out as a precautionary measure because of all the injuries in the bullpen. “I didn’t really give him the option. When he said he tightened up, I said, ‘Give me the ball.’”

Edited by JameisofThrones

Whoever is closing for the pirates will get minimal chances at saves.  I have doubt they’ll be worth a roster spot in standard leagues (or smaller) unless their ratios are *pristine*.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredo_corleone said:

Is Bass still closing in TOR - He hasn't been brought in for a save opp. for a while now.

Unclear. After Bass blew that save against the Marlins, there were a few times it looked like the team was going to set up Romano to close. But then the save situation fell apart. And due to the (over)use of both Bass and Romano, Cole and Dolis snuck in for saves in the interim. And now Romano finally has a save, but it was in an extra innings game where Bass already pitched (though in the 8th). Which now means three different Toronto relievers have gotten saves since Bass. I tend to think its actually Romano at this point, but we haven't seen a "normal" save situation where everyone is available in a while for the Jays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

Unclear. After Bass blew that save against the Marlins, there were a few times it looked like the team was going to set up Romano to close. But then the save situation fell apart. And due to the (over)use of both Bass and Romano, Cole and Dolis snuck in for saves in the interim. And now Romano finally has a save, but it was in an extra innings game where Bass already pitched (though in the 8th). Which now means three different Toronto relievers have gotten saves since Bass. I tend to think its actually Romano at this point, but we haven't seen a "normal" save situation where everyone is available in a while for the Jays.

To add to this mess, Giles could be back in a week to 10 days

• Like 1

Philly closer going forward??..as a neris owner (yes he has been bad) I think it is Workman 

neris

workman

commitee 

35 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Philly closer going forward??..as a neris owner (yes he has been bad) I think it is Workman 

neris

workman

commitee 

99% chance it's Workman.

Pagan finally converted a save.  Will we ever see the real Pagan at all this season?  Who knows, as he's never had issues with his control, but that's been his biggest issue this season and he still walked somebody last night.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Pagan finally converted a save.  Will we ever see the real Pagan at all this season?  Who knows, as he's never had issues with his control, but that's been his biggest issue this season and he still walked somebody last night.

8 walks and 9 runs allowed in 12 innings hurts. I thought he struggled a bit with command last year but upon looking not the case. The most he walked over a whole month was 3 or 4. I've owned him a lot and watched a lot last year he seemed to flirt with guys on base but tough risking other categories just for a save/hold. He has the defense and ballpark.. 

Edited by Zeezee

4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I guess it's a positive step and I really think they want him to be the guy with Yates on the shelf and Pomeranz out (shocker) but watching it last night wasn't particularly encouraging. Gave up a deep opposite field warning track shot to Altuve to lead off the inning that just stayed in the park and then hung a breaking ball to Correa that he absolutely murdered but it wasn't high enough and got snagged at the wall. Lost Reddick after being up 0-2 and finally got Toro to tap to second. Didn't instill much confidence.

• Like 1

Marlins targeting KC relievers. A separate article mentioned Rosenthal and/or Holland. Hard to say who would close for Miami if that happens because Kintzler has done a decent job but it seems Scott Barlow would be the favorite to take over closing duties in KC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, smeeze said:

To add to this mess, Giles could be back in a week to 10 days

that, if anything, will clear up this mess imo

Who's the guy to grab in the KC Bullpen if Rosenthal is dealt?? I imagine Staumont

3 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

Who's the guy to grab in the KC Bullpen if Rosenthal is dealt?? I imagine Staumont

I hope it's not Holland, who I'm sure they are trying to move along with Rosenthal. It would be typical if they gave it him because of history as a closer but he is doing his patented fade after a strong start with earned runs in his last three appearances. Staumont is nasty, but I assume they would go Barlow over him, as has been suggested in an earlier post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

Staumont is generally viewed as their closer of the future and has significant upside but I think it’s a coin flip between him and Barlow. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Barlow getting dealt either as he would bring back the most in a deal. Theoretically you could see them deal all of Barlow, Kennedy, Holland, and Rosenthal. If I’m a contending team  there’s no way I’m trusting Holland at this point in his career, though. As a Royals fan I’d love to see them get something back for those 4 guys and hand over the keys to the 8th and 9th innings to Zimmer and Staumont, respectively.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Buttrey in the 8th..will it be Robles time in the 9th if the save opp is there?

He’s gone more than an inning before. And Was able to do it again. 

Hector Neris on in the 8th and already with two on, none out. Looks like Workman will have first crack at the closer gig.

Add Neris to the list of top preseason closers that you can drop

Add workman to the list of preseason closers that you can drop. Change of scenery can’t fix suck

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Add workman to the list of preseason closers that you can drop. Change of scenery can’t fix suck

Who's next in Philly?