Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

9 minutes ago, aapox said:

Chicago is a committee with Wick the presumable 1a based on what has happened, though who knows what WILL happen. Jeffress was just due for work after Wick pitched yesterday (and gave up a devestating 2 run HR, though it was his first given up in like 200 batters and to Jose Abreu who is ungodly hot and Cub killer) and Ross trusts them both.

I'd still pick Taylor Williams either way, though.

Agree, that's an easy choice. Taylor Williams by a mile. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

13 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Trainer just came out to look at pagan

He finished and got the save, so I'm guessing he's fine.  Whatever that was, there's no mention of it, so he should be fine to keep rolling out there.

15 hours ago, B&F said:

Joe Jiménez who 💩  the bed in a non-save situation in the ninth.

A sleeper in the Tigers bullpen is Gregory Soto who is has gained some velocity this year and is throwing 97 from the left side with a wicked slider.

Yeah, I think Jimenez is likely done as their closer after two epic implosions.  This isn't Gabe Kapler with his man Gott.

Cisnero got the save yesterday and has been solid, but he's been awful in the past, so who knows who will be the guy going forward.

I'm interested to see what the Tigers do with Jimenez. He has been atrocious his last two outings but they were mop-up duty situations since he hasn't had a a save opp since Aug. 9. He's actually still 5-for-6 on the year. Guessing he still gets one more shot but that's as long as his leash is. If he blows it we get to deal with another not-worth-it committee with Farmer, Cisnero and Soto.

Edited by JameisofThrones
6 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Didn't look good, but looks to be the closer. He's lucky Yandy Diaz is slow AF lol.

Didn't look good? Leadoff single was an infield hit that was a high chopper that sprung off the turf in front of the plate. Then got another chopper that again was too high off the turf to turn two. Walked Meadows on a close 3-2 pitch. Struck out Lowe and got Diaz on a weak bouncer to second. I'll take it.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

What’s with Romano  closing?

There have been signs the Blue Jays have been leaning that way for about 10 days now. I’ve had him rostered for about 2 weeks, even ditching my shares of Bass in the process.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Didn't look good, but looks to be the closer. He's lucky Yandy Diaz is slow AF lol.

He didn't look that bad, though. He barely missed on the walk, the single was an infield single, and the rest of the contact (iirc) were meh grounders. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, meh2 said:

There have been signs the Blue Jays have been leaning that way for about 10 days now. I’ve had him rostered for about 2 weeks, even ditching my shares of Bass in the process.

Exactly. This thread called the changing of the guard at least a week ago, and did so repeatedly. Though it's all about to become a moot point with Giles on the cusp of returning.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Exactly. This thread called the changing of the guard at least a week ago, and did so repeatedly. Though it's all about to become a moot point with Giles on the cusp of returning.

Giles is still just playing catch. I’d say he’s at least 2 weeks away and there’s always the possibility of a setback as his elbow/forearm issues have been a recurring thing now for a while.

• Like 1

If his peripherals hold up, Romano is not giving up the role to Giles. He has been too good ( 13 k/9 2 fip/xfip )

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

If his peripherals hold up, Romano is not giving up the role to Giles. He has been too good ( 13 k/9 2 fip/xfip )

Giles is one of the few closers who wouldn't lose his spot coming back from an injury, especially after the year he had last season

I could see them using Romano in save situations if they don't want to overwork Giles though if the situation presents itself

3 hours ago, meh2 said:

Agreed. Bass owner too and he's pitched well, but hasn't been presented with save opps.

Buttrey a sure thing for the Angels?

13 minutes ago, MJtheGOAT said:

I'd be interested to know how everyone here ranks the following Closers/ Relievers ROS.

My rankings

1. Hudson 2. Pressly 3. Karinchak 4. Romano 5. Trevor Williams 6. Edwin Diaz 7. Kintzler 8. Jon Hernandez 9. Montero 10. Pagan.

Well I'd split them into tiers (listed in order of rank within the tier):

Tier 1 -- Guys who have the job: Pressly, Hudson, Montero, Kintzler, Williams (I assume you mean Taylor)

Tier 2 -- Guys who are in a committee or have a share of the job: Diaz, Romano, Pagan

Tier 3 -- Set-up guys who need injury or ineffectiveness to get the job: Karinchak, Hernandez

Diaz would be the guy that might seem slotted aggressively, but I believe they were ready to reinstall him as closer when they hit the Covid pause, so he actually might be too low.

38 minutes ago, MJtheGOAT said:

I'd be interested to know how everyone here ranks the following Closers/ Relievers ROS.

My rankings

1. Hudson 2. Pressly 3. Karinchak 4. Romano 5. Trevor Williams 6. Edwin Diaz 7. Kintzler 8. Jon Hernandez 9. Montero 10. Pagan.

Don't sleep on Staumont he has been absolute filth. If Rosenthal gets traded even better.