urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

Gregory Soto could be the guy for the Tigers. Two blow ups has his era at 3.77, but no runs in his other 8 outings. His FIP and xFIP are under 3.77, and has a 11.93 K/9 and 2.51 BB/9. High Ks, low walks. A lot of things you like to see in a closer.

Is it worth speculating on the Tigers closer? That’s up for debate. But I think Soto could get the next opportunity. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Gregory Soto could be the guy for the Tigers. Two blow ups has his era at 3.77, but no runs in his other 8 outings. His FIP and xFIP are under 3.77, and has a 11.93 K/9 and 2.51 BB/9. High Ks, low walks. A lot of things you like to see in a closer.

Is it worth speculating on the Tigers closer? That’s up for debate. But I think Soto could get the next opportunity. 

I don’t have a dog (Tiger?) in the fight but why wouldn’t it be Cisnero next? I don’t see how it wouldn’t be unless they’re trying to increase other RP’s trade value. I could easily see him not be available tonight because of usage

Edit: I know he pitched but was thinking they don’t want him to finish the game do to over use but knowing he’s the best RP to get them out of the jam tonight. 

Edited by Wytchclt55

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I don’t have a dog (Tiger?) in the fight but why wouldn’t it be Cisnero next? I don’t see how it wouldn’t be unless they’re trying to increase other RP’s trade value. I could easily see him not be available tonight because of usage

Edit: I know he pitched but was thinking they don’t want him to finish the game do to over use but knowing he’s the best RP to get them out of the jam tonight. 

It could be. But Soto has come out of nowhere and is 25. Cisnero is like 31? I’d assume they’d like to see if they have a closer in Soto.

EDIT: FWIW Fangraphs and Closer Monkey have Jimenez/Farmer/Soto as the depth chart.

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rosenthal just came into a 3-2 game (winning) with the bases loaded and 1 out vs. Cardinals and struck out Carlson and Wong to get out of it. Studly. He'll prob blow the 9th though 😝

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aapox said:

Rosenthal just came into a 3-2 game (winning) with the bases loaded and 1 out vs. Cardinals and struck out Carlson and Wong to get out of it. Studly. He'll prob blow the 9th though 😝

Had to open your virtual mouth...

Loads the bases himself in the 9th, gets another K to get two outs, and then promptly gets pulled at 34 pitches.

• Haha 1

Was there a save in Oakland?  Didn’t see anything register in cbs.

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

Was there a save in Oakland?  Didn’t see anything register in cbs.

Yes, I’m seeing Hendriks save #10.

• Like 2

I think Brach may be next in line for the Mets.  Who else is there? Lugo is a starter now and Diaz may be hurt.

43 minutes ago, aapox said:

Good call. Ugly finish to his night but I'd think it won't be held against him too much as they were stretching him for longer than one inning and I'm not sure there's enough fuel in that tank.

1 minute ago, KingJoffrey said:

I think Brach may be next in line for the Mets.  Who else is there? Lugo is a starter now and Diaz may be hurt.

Maybe Joff...maybe

Royals gotta be happy with how Rosenthal boosted his trade value today 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Chasen Shreve has pitched well lately and has a more strikeout friendly history but is a lefty.  Jared Hughes could get a look.  Familia always likes to jump into these situations just to be annoying.  Brach looks to be the guy for now.

However, I speculate it would be Betances if he's healthy and available.  Maybe he's got a little Raisel Iglesius in him where he feeds off the high leverage situation and pitches better (i personally doubt this is the case).

No matter who it is, I'm personally staying away because I like my ratios in the single digits.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Had to open your virtual mouth...

Loads the bases himself in the 9th, gets another K to get two outs, and then promptly gets pulled at 34 pitches.

I just felt the energy!

Edited by aapox

Sounds like leg cramps for Diaz. Shouldn't miss much if any time. So if he's the closer, he's probably still the closer. But who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Just another committee:

Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire said after Wednesday's game against the Cubs that Joe Jimenez will no longer be used as the team's closer.

Gardy confirmed what was obvious after he used Jimenez in top of the sixth inning with the team trailing 2-1 at the time. Jimenez served up a home run to Kyle Schwarber to push his ERA to 12.10 but then picked up the win after the Tigers plated five in the bottom of the frame. Jose Cisnero, Gregory Soto and Buck Farmer were the final three relievers used Wednesday and Gardenhire said he'll mix and match with that trio to close out games.

Source: Chris McCosky on Twitter       Aug 26, 2020, 10:57 PM ET

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Wilson or Familia

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Taylor Williams IMPLOSION today. Magill and Altavilla not much better. Hirano time?

He was also brought into the seventh inning.

Eta I'm an idiot and forgot the new 7 inning double header.

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

I’ve done that more than a few times

why is Yahoo showing them as unearned 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I’ve done that more than a few times

why is Yahoo showing them as unearned 

Yes, why ?

He has 5 ER on MLB.COM

8 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Don't worry we've all done that :)

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:34 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Just another committee:

Soto was recently highlighted (Aug. 10) by rotographs/fangraphs as part of "the next crop of elite relievers" after karinchak:

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-next-crop-of-elite-relievers/

"The Tigers have an... awesome reliever?!?! Gregory Soto now has 9.3 scoreless innings with a 36% K rate and 3% BB rate in 31 batters faced. He has a 97.7 mph heater and 88 mph slider from the left side. It's veeery early, but the 25-year old looks dominant!"

However, recently (18th and 19th of this month) he had two pretty bad outings. 

15 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I still make this mistake daily lmao.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 9:59 PM, KingJoffrey said:

So they have Brach, Betances, and Familia as possibilities.....I guess you throw some crap at the wall and see if it sticks??