urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

Just now, uwguy98 said:

Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I'm holding onto Kimbrel (on my bench) for a few more days. In the the earlier closer thread, someone said he had been bad for a few years. That's really not true. He was bad last year. He was VERY good in 2018 and 2017. Is he done? Maybe, but let's not exaggerate the time span of his awfulness. And he's only 32 years old, which is a bit early for a pitcher (especially a closer) to just lose it. Right now I'd rather speculate on the high ceiling extremely low floor of Kimbrel than the limited ceiling of someone like Rowan Wick. I'm also keeping Robles on my bench (for a few more days), but for different reasons. Mainly, I don't really like any the Angels' in house alternatives.

25 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I'm holding onto Kimbrel (on my bench) for a few more days. In the the earlier closer thread, someone said he had been bad for a few years. That's really not true. He was bad last year. He was VERY good in 2018 and 2017. Is he done? Maybe, but let's not exaggerate the time span of his awfulness. And he's only 32 years old, which is a bit early for a pitcher (especially a closer) to just lose it. Right now I'd rather speculate on the high ceiling extremely low floor of Kimbrel than the limited ceiling of someone like Rowan Wick. I'm also keeping Robles on my bench (for a few more days), but for different reasons. Mainly, I don't really like any the Angels' in house alternatives.

I completely understand wanting to hold onto guys who have had previous success. However I think this year is a little different in terms of length of leashes.  With the shortened season teams aren’t going to be as forgiving in regards to blown saves as they typically would in a normal season. Every game is critical and it may only take 2-3 blown saves for a manager to consider the next man up.  There’s not much room for error in a 60 game season. 

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

That's one of the great things about fantasy...we can find leagues that suit our desires :). I think it waters things down because you can still find any number of RPs who produce holds and not have to really mess with them too much. Personally, I enjoy the saves chase. Some days I hate it, but most days I enjoy the chase and the guessing game. I wouldn't be interested in a SVHD league. But you do, and that's cool. I can agree to disagree :)

I like the challenge.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Sometimes you cannot trust mere surface stats.  He was really really bad in 2018.  I watched practically every single game he was in that year.  It was like torture to watch him.  He had shown some signs the year before but 2018 was really the true end of him.  The first part he got by stat-wise but he was loading bases and going deep into the count because he could no longer blow his fastball by anyone.  Players would foul off his pitches endlessly.  It was obvious he was on the decline.  The last two months of the season he was a total train wreck as players started straightening out those fouled off balls.  He wasn't trusted in the playoffs at all.  The honor of pitching the 9th in the last game of the World Series was given to Chris Sale.  No closer would be passed over for that honor unless they didn't even trust him to warm-up at that point.  So no, I am not exaggerating the time span of his awfulness.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

Wait...so no rush to pickup Jeffries?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Wait...so no rush to pickup Jeffries?

I think it’s a combo of Wick, Jeffres, and maybe Kimbrel gets a shot with a four run lead next time until - or if - he gets right.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No closer would be passed over for that honor unless they didn't even trust him to warm-up at that point.  So no, I am not exaggerating the time span of his awfulness.

Obviously you forget the Showwalter school of relief pitching management lol, where you leave Wetteland in the pen and go with Black Jack McDowell instead....or leave Britton in the pen in a playoff game in a series you are about to be eliminated from because it was not a save situation lol.

Posted (edited)

I would guess Wick/Jeffries---in an unpredictable combination---get the next couple save chances.  But given his contract and his history, I expect they'll have Kimbrel try to work it out in middle innings for a few appearances with the goal of getting him back to closing.  In a short season all saves matter, so I'd gamble on either Wick or Jeffries if I had a free spot but I see less chance either of them gets a 'full time' closer role for ROS than other situations.  And I don't love either of them as ratio guys, so personally I'd rather gamble on Burdi, Drake, Karinchak, even Bass or Rosenthal than either of them

Edited by Whizzinator
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

I would guess Wick/Jeffries---in an unpredictable combination---get the next couple save chances.  But given his contract and his history, I expect they'll have Kimbrel try to work it out in middle innings for a few appearances with the goal of getting him back to closing.  In a short season all saves matter, so I'd gamble on either Wick or Jeffries if I had a free spot but I see less chance either of them gets a 'full time' closer role for ROS than other situations.  And I don't love either of them as ratio guys, so personally I'd rather gamble on Burdi, Drake, Karinchak, even Bass or Rosenthal than either of them

The reality is Kimbrel isn’t what he used to be. Unless he adds a change-up to offset his fastball not being hittable, he’s toast. 

• Like 2

Everyone's thoughts on Taylor Williams?  Picked him up in a saves + holds league when I saw 2 saves and a hold already with no clue of the player.  Ha

1 minute ago, tsh00k said:

Everyone's thoughts on Taylor Williams?  Picked him up in a saves + holds league when I saw 2 saves and a hold already with no clue of the player.  Ha

Should be a nice pickup, but maybe there are others that are FA that are better. How deep is the league?

is Wade Davis hitting DL? if so who's up for Rockies?

Just now, checkers said:

Said who? 

1 minute ago, checkers said:

Jairo Diaz

• Like 2

Wade Davis isn't hitting the DL...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Rockies placed RHP Wade Davis on the 10-day injured list with a right shoulder strain.

Davis really struggled in his last appearance on Friday and is now going to be on the shelf for a while. With Scott Oberg (blood clots) also sidelined indefinitely, the closing duties for the Rockies would figure to fall to Jairo Diaz and/or Carlos Estevez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

possession is 9/10 of the law.  Even with hirano coming back, he may hold onto it.

Also Oberg says hi from the 45-day.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, checkers said:

Not just him but Oberg is definitely done and for the season too:

Rockies transferred Scott Oberg to the 45-day injured list with blood clots in his right arm.

It's the same thing that prematurely ended Oberg's 2019 season, and it will probably end his 2020 campaign, as well, in all likelihood. Oberg had been sidelined with a back ailment. The Rockies lost Wade Davis (shoulder) on Sunday, as well.

Aug 2, 2020, 12:40 PM ET

Hah, we posted at the same time.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1

So Jairo Diaz the add here?

23 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

and on top of Davis hitting the IL, oberg is also saying “hi” to you from the 45 day IL

🤣🤣🤣

Posted (edited)

So who's the add in Colorado? Estevez or Diaz? [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content.