urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

1 minute ago, fredo_corleone said:

Thanks so much! Would you say at this point that Tyler Rogers and Bass are more likely to close than Staumont.

A lot of people like Staumont but I do not believe he is ready. Walks to many and gives up a lot of hard contact.

Rogers is in a committee right now so he probably will get a few saves.  In Toronto Giles on the way back.  

Not a lot of good choices but I would go Bass.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

good luck..career ERA pushing 5 and career WHIP of 1.55

yikes!

Less than 100 career innings, 12.59K/9 and  3.35xFIP in those innings. The BB/9 has to come down but given the other pen options I like his chances. Also, it's only 13 innings so far, but it will interesting to see if the huge rise in GB% continues.

3 hours ago, David Aames said:

Who would close for ariz if whats his name is traded today

If Bradley is moved my guess is either Guerra or Rondon get a look.  Rondon has the most experience as a closer and actually performed pretty well when he was a closer in the past.  His stats seem to suck mainly when he's not a closer.  The walks are largely concerning though and every single AZ relief pitcher has that issue with the exception of Young.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Less than 100 career innings, 12.59K/9 and  3.35xFIP in those innings. The BB/9 has to come down but given the other pen options I like his chances. Also, it's only 13 innings so far, but it will interesting to see if the huge rise in GB% continues.

He (Tanner Scott) has shown pretty significant R/L split issues before this year, however, which makes me think he is a matchups-based option at best. Even if he isn't installed as closer right away since he is fresh of the IL, I would still bet on Harvey getting the most of the meager O's save chances the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

He (Tanner Scott) has shown pretty significant R/L split issues before this year, however, which makes me think he is a matchups-based option at best. Even if he isn't installed as closer right away since he is fresh of the IL, I would still bet on Harvey getting the most of the meager O's save chances the rest of the year.

sounds like the O's manager is going to be very careful with easing hunter back into any mix...he said never back to back days but maybe every 3-4 days he will use him out of the pen..and with only a month left in the season, not sure how many save opps hunter will actually see.

Phillies just acquired David Phelps.

Phelps numbers have been excellent..Workman owners worry?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Archie Bradley to Reds.   Rondon the pickup for D-Backs saves?

Edited by swingbatter

Bradley to the Reds. Think this one could go either way. Would think Iglesias stays at closer but he's arguably more valuable in a multi-inning role. No clue on who get saves now for the Snakes.

just looked at 3 different sites, and all 3 had a different guy as next man up in the snakes pen...none of the pens stats are that great, but guerra was the best of the bunch..FWIW

Rondon sucks, Guerra is the better gamble IMO.

• Like 1

Castro getting traded really opens the door for Hunter to take the O’s closer role fully.  

4 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Rondon sucks, Guerra is the better gamble IMO.

tend to lean that way as well...of course bradley hasnt had a save in over 2 weeks..snakes in a freefall for sure,,,lol

of course as strange as saves are, they could have 5 save opps in the next week...lol

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Arizona going for a committee and Cincinnati has Bradley as their new closer.

https://baseballanalyzed.com/2020/04/18/value-changes/

This source is not a source. You’re speculating and they are speculating.

I’ll wait for interviews and usage before saying anything definitive about the closer situations in both cincy and Arizona.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Late one across the wire -- Taylor Williams to Padres. Hirano time? Nobody else left.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

tend to lean that way as well...of course bradley hasnt had a save in over 2 weeks..snakes in a freefall for sure,,,lol

of course as strange as saves are, they could have 5 save opps in the next week...lol

https://tht.fangraphs.com/are-saves-predictable/

If It's Rondon I won't even pick him and I advise others the same. He's a back of the bullpen talent guy at this point, imo.

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

O'S manager just came out and said suser has been removed from the closers role...mix and match time 

Seemed like Harvey was their guy going into the season before he got hurt.  I'd imagine he's the first one up.

Posted (edited)

Everyone saying Guerra or Rondon...

it’s going to be Critchon in my opinion. 

Good k/9 and has looked the best so far

Edited by CORTEz

1 minute ago, Motown_Magic said:

Who do we expect to close for the Mariners with Williams gone now? 

My money on Hirano. Has the experience and worked in the eighth in front of Williams yesterday. Seems the natural -- almost too obvious -- choice, which has me worried.

• Haha 1

I'm putting money on that Valdez guy for the Orioles closer position. It doesn't feel like Hunter Harvey is going to be thrown in there immediately or at all, as he's coming off an injury and he's been extremely injury prone in his career.