urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

5 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I'm putting money on that Valdez guy for the Orioles closer position. It doesn't feel like Hunter Harvey is going to be thrown in there immediately or at all, as he's coming off an injury and he's been extremely injury prone in his career.

I agree that it's likely (and smart) that the Orioles limit Harvey's workload due to his injury history. But do we really think that the Orioles closer is going to be overwhelmed with save opportunities? Don't pitch him back-to-back or only twice a week. Fine. But why not use him in the ninth when you have the lead if he is the best pitcher in the bullpen? Not a lot of difference between 15 or so pitches in the seventh, eighth or ninth as far as stress on the arm, and they threw him right into a high-leverage spot in his first appearance, so they are obviously not afraid to do that.

6 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I agree that it's likely (and smart) that the Orioles limit Harvey's workload due to his injury history. But do we really think that the Orioles closer is going to be overwhelmed with save opportunities? Don't pitch him back-to-back or only twice a week. Fine. But why not use him in the ninth when you have the lead if he is the best pitcher in the bullpen? Not a lot of difference between 15 or so pitches in the seventh, eighth or ninth as far as stress on the arm, and they threw him right into a high-leverage spot in his first appearance, so they are obviously not afraid to do that.

Maybe not "overwhelmed", but they're squarely in the middle of the Majors in converted saves with 8 to this point. I'm not sure how many legit save opps have been blown, but as a Sulser owner until recently, he was getting save opps. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Maybe not "overwhelmed", but they're squarely in the middle of the Majors in converted saves with 8 to this point. I'm not sure how many legit save opps have been blown, but as a Sulser owner until recently, he was getting save opps. 

Not saying that the Orioles won't get save opps. Even the worst teams get plenty, sometimes even more since they tend to not blow teams out in wins. But I just took a quick look and before Sulser blew both the last two games, they had only had one other time this season when there were save chances on back-to-back days. So I don't think giving Harvey at least a share of the closer role and limiting his workload are mutually exclusive.

19 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

So is Bradley the guy in Cincinnati? And who takes over in Arizona?

just scroll back a page or 2, already being discussed

1 hour ago, JameisofThrones said:

My money on Hirano. Has the experience and worked in the eighth in front of Williams yesterday. Seems the natural -- almost too obvious -- choice, which has me worried.

Would you expect Williams to be a setup guy in SD?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

Would you expect Williams to be a setup guy in SD?

Maybe a set-up guy but not the first option. Plenty of guys ahead of him in Rosenthal, Pagan and Pomeranz.

(Not the first option as a set-up guy to clarify. Almost zero shot to close)

Edited by JameisofThrones

Taylor Rogers has lost it.

22 minutes ago, B&F said:

Taylor Rogers has lost it.

I wasn’t watching but looks like 3 runs were unearned.

1 hour ago, cornerback said:

is castillo the guy now in tampa?

Yes, all arrows point that way. Process of elimination? LOL. Might change when they get healthy but he's the guy right now and has shown no reason to not have the job going forward. 

6 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I wasn’t watching but looks like 3 runs were unearned.

Kepler dropped a fly ball that he was running in towards second base for that he took his eyes off. Really bad error for a major leaguer - then the Sox just worked great AB's and got key hits. He was throwing primarily fastballs and seemed to be laboring though, so he didn't look great, but that flyball drop was a huge factor of this blow-up.

Taylor Rogers’ peripherals still look good. His BABIP coming into today was through the roof at .424, and is only going to climb after tonight’s outing. LOB was 61% coming into today and shrinking. It’s very frustrating and I hope the Twins don’t start fading him.

Has Diego Castillo become the favorite in Tampa Bay even when Nick Anderson returns? 

Any of these guys top 15 closers ros?

hirano

holland

no Phelps as workman is getting it done. They didn’t trade for his ratios

• Like 1

workman might be one more blow up away from not getting it done.

They didn’t trade for Phelps due to confidence in Workman. Workman has somehow managed to not blow a save but his Whip is over 2 which is unacceptable for a closer. In fact, correction, unacceptable for any major league pitcher.

For whoever is wondering about the Reds closing situation...

David Bell said he doesn't see anything changing with Raisel Iglesias' role. Archie Bradley is probably the next man up when Iglesias is unavailable.

5 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

They didn’t trade for Phelps due to confidence in Workman. Workman has somehow managed to not blow a save but his Whip is over 2 which is unacceptable for a closer. In fact, correction, unacceptable for any major league pitcher.

I wonder if Phelps will be available to pitch tonight since I'm not sure if he traveled to Philly last night or this morning. With Nola and Corbin on the hill there's a good chance we'll see him in a high leverage situation if he is available. Whether it happens right away or after another bad outing from Workman I think Phelps is the guy to own in the bullpen for saves and a definite must add if he's not already owned in saves+hold leagues. 

On 8/31/2020 at 1:38 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Quoting myself because I keep seeing people talk about save opportunities and bad teams.

the R2 on wins vs. saves opps is really low. Approx .14

Stop caring about how bad the team is.

Care how bad the reliever is.

• Like 3