urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

12 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Workman’s days look numbered..2 outs then 2 base runners?? 

Agreed...he needs to have good ratios like Gallegos 

Arizona nursing a 1-0 lead against LAD in the bottom of the 8th.

Chrichton relieves Gallen after Gallen walks the leadoff batter in the 8th. Chrichton induced a doubleplay & then got another out to get out of the 8th.

It will be interesting to see how the next 20 minutes play out. 

Anyone know who is warming up for Arizona?

13 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Ginkel.. what a joke!!!

where was Guerra?

He's been terrible this year, but he put up some elite numbers in the minors and Majors in 2018 and 2019. 

Another lead for Arizona, we shall see who comes in for the bottom of the 10th. 2-1 Arizona with K. Jansen on the ropes. 

Bases loaded, 1 out for Arizona in the top of the 10th.

Two meltdowns and we're no closer to figuring out who the closer in AZ will end up being.  Who's next on the closer carousel? 

I'm going to place a roulette chip on Stefan Crichton who got the hold earlier in last night's game. 
If you have an open spot and chase saves, why not...

if Crichton can get his walks under control that's a possibility, but I'm not impressed by his minor league numbers.  11 saves in 20 opps isn't really screaming long-term closer to me but it could be good enough to finish out this season or maybe pick up a few before disaster strikes.

22 minutes ago, cizastro said:

if Crichton can get his walks under control that's a possibility, but I'm not impressed by his minor league numbers.  11 saves in 20 opps isn't really screaming long-term closer to me but it could be good enough to finish out this season or maybe pick up a few before disaster strikes.

But how many of those blown saves were actual 9th inning save opps? I don’t know anything about the guy, but context always matters when talking blown saves or save percentage. 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:52 AM, fawkes_mulder said:

Quoting myself because I keep seeing people talk about save opportunities and bad teams.

the R2 on wins vs. saves opps is really low. Approx .14

Stop caring about how bad the team is.

Care how bad the reliever is.

Justin Mason didn’t receive this memo. This is what he wrote on Fangraphs:

“Greg Holland got the save on Monday for the Royals versus the Indians. With Trevor Rosenthal gone, it appears that Holland is likely the next man up, but it is hard to trust Mike Matheny right now especially since Scott Barlow got a save last week and was brought in to keep the game close in the eighth. The Royals aren’t likely going to win a ton of games moving forward anyhow, so it may not be worth the speculation outside of AL Only.”

51 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Justin Mason didn’t receive this memo. This is what he wrote on Fangraphs:

“Greg Holland got the save on Monday for the Royals versus the Indians. With Trevor Rosenthal gone, it appears that Holland is likely the next man up, but it is hard to trust Mike Matheny right now especially since Scott Barlow got a save last week and was brought in to keep the game close in the eighth. The Royals aren’t likely going to win a ton of games moving forward anyhow, so it may not be worth the speculation outside of AL Only.”

There’s a Sept closer thread now.