urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

42 minutes ago, checkers said:

Rockies placed RHP Wade Davis on the 10-day injured list with a case of bad.

Davis really struggled in his last appearance on Friday and is now going to be on the shelf for a while. With Scott Oberg (blood clots) also sidelined indefinitely, the closing duties for the Rockies would figure to fall to Jairo Diaz and/or Carlos Estevez.

fixed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So who's the add in Colorado? Estevez or Diaz? [...]

I posted this on page 3, before the official DL moves, reposting here. The last few paragraphs have Black talking up Diaz.

“(Diaz) is already pitching late in the game — we saw him pitch the ninth inning last year and get some saves — and the start of last season in Albuquerque we pitched him as the closer in Triple-A,” Black said. “He responded and pitched very well.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/08/01/rockies-bud-black-on-wade-davis-closer/

• Thanks 1

Yes I agree, Diaz did indeed take over after injuries last year in Colorado.  I remember well picking him up in a couple of leagues last season so it doesn't surprise me if Colorado goes with him again because they are all about vets with experience in all their spots.

Any news if Chapman will be available tonight? 

How would people rank Jairo, Karinchak, Burdi, Drake, Bass for ROS?   Considering both save chances and ratios.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

How would people rank Jairo, Karinchak, Burdi, Drake, Bass for ROS?   Considering both save chances and ratios.

I'd say Karinchak has the biggest upside -- great stuff and good team. The biggest obstacle is probably Tito's loyalty to veterans as a manager. But one more Hand blow up might force his hand, pardon the pun.

Bass probably has the best floor since he has the role right now and should be getting saves opportunity for at least the next month or so with Giles out. The most mediocre pitcher of the bunch, though

The rest have their warts. If Jairo does indeed get the job the Coors factor is an issue, but if he has early success should run with with it. I'm big Burdi guy but it seems they are managing his workload and Kela's return looms. And love the Drake but with Cash at the wheel you never know when you are going to randomly seem him in the seventh.

Not sure how much that helps, but stuff to think about.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Astros placed RHP Roberto Osuna on the 10-day injured list with right elbow soreness.

25 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Cole suser working in another save right now, the 2 inning kind

Seems safe to say he’s running with the job. If he keeps this up, I can’t see Harvey being a threat when he’s activated. 

Estevez was clearly the best arm in that COL pen last year.  Also closed a bit a few years back. Worth a stash if you can or missed out on Jairo.

• Like 1

Cole Sulser picked up his 3rd save of this short season and he is still somehow under the radar

• Like 2

With osuna hitting the IL, is anyone worried about Pressly leaving last night with a cut on his cuticle above the thumbnail?...manager seemed to downplay it as minor

9 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

With osuna hitting the IL, is anyone worried about Pressly leaving last night with a cut on his cuticle above the thumbnail?...manager seemed to downplay it as minor

Worried, yes, but signs indicate he's okay and will still be able to pitch so I don't think there's any reason to avoid or change actions.

Just now, aapox said:

Worried, yes, but signs indicate he's okay and will still be able to pitch so I don't think there's any reason to avoid or change actions.

really considering using a claim on him so a bit worried as well..lol

17 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

really considering using a claim on him so a bit worried as well..lol

Only closer I drafted was Osuna and I have a bunch of these committee type guys and Kintzler so I bid $11 and won him with little resistance. I think there was a 3-5 bid though. Just FYI for faab spending context. 

Just now, aapox said:

Only closer I drafted was Osuna and I have a bunch of these committee type guys and Kintzler so I bid $11 and won him with little resistance. I think there was a 3-5 bid though. Just FYI for faab spending context. 

not FAAB..#2 claim

Posted (edited)

So who would you rather own given the osuna injury...how would you rank these 4 closers/potential closers

sulser

pressly

rosenthal 

Robles 

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992

Jairo in with runner on second and two out in ninth and Rockies up 9-6. I think its a save situation since tying run is in on deck circle but not positive...

5 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

possession is 9/10 of the law.  Even with hirano coming back, he may hold onto it.

He's splitting saves with Altavilla right now, but considering the rest of the M's pen is a dumpster fire, Williams may be the 2nd least rotten apple? 

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Jairo in with runner on second and two out in ninth and Rockies up 9-6. I think its a save situation since tying run is in on deck circle but not positive...

One pitch and that's the ballgame. Looks like it's a save also. Good news for those who scooped up Jairo, especially since Estevez was not good.

• Like 1

Jairo is top 5 rest of season since Bud Black ain't into that funny business.

Why do I get this awful feeling that Edinson Volquez is getting the 9th for Texas?