urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Sergio Romo got the save for Minnesota. That's his second of the year.

That is because Taylor Rogers pitched -- and got the Save -- in the last 3 out of 4 games including the last two in a row.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

So it looks like the Cubs turned to Jeffres today in a tie game in 9th (and he got the win). 

Buttrey came in with one on and out on in the eighth to protect a 4-3 lead and allowed a single to Springer but got Altuve and Bregman on ground outs. I wonder if the plan is to give him the ninth as well. Only threw 12 pitches.

Bedrosian, Middleton and now Buttrey have pitched..either Buttrey goes 2 for the save or dare we say......ROBLES!

ūü§£ūü§£

10 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Buttrey came in with one on and out on in the eighth to protect a 4-3 lead and allowed a single to Springer but got Altuve and Bregman on ground outs. I wonder if the plan is to give him the ninth as well. Only threw 12 pitches.

They did go to Buttrey to see if he could get five outs but leadoff double and one-out single and it's a blown save. Fun while it lasted.

Posted (edited)

Buttrey is out of the picture.  Who next?

Edited by B&F

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

Buttrey is out of the picture.  Who next?

My opinion is that even if Buttrey had nailed it down he wasn't going to be the main guy. You typically don't ask a regular closer to get five outs in a normal situation. I think the next save opp might have been another multi-inning job by Pena, or playing matchups, and I think that will probably be the case until Maddon finds someone he thinks he can trust with the actual "closer" role.

This is going to be the longest thread in Rotoworld history at the pace closers are changing.  They should just start making RP like Team Defenses in football LOL!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Why do I get this awful feeling that Edinson Volquez is getting the 9th for Texas?

Because one of their beat writers suggested it? Lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That is because Taylor Rogers pitched -- and got the Save -- in the last 3 out of 4 games including the last two in a row.

Still worth grabbing Romo IMO...

In regards to the Angles closer situation....why isn't Felix Pena being talked about more? He's been lights-out so far!

What about Blake Taylor for the Astros? If Pressly isn't ready......something to pay attention to

4 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

So who would you rather own given the osuna injury...how would you rank these 4 closers/potential closers

sulser

pressly

rosenthal 

Robles 

I'm no expert and it's so tough with all these guys because we just don't know as much as we'd like, but I'd say:

Pressly (we've seen success before, he should get the job, and we know he can be good, Astros are very good and will win a lot)

Sulser (seems like he's got the job and has been good so far, but Baltimore is not great)

Rosenthal (unsure of job, but good stuff)

Robles (disaster)

Does anyone have an information about how long Osuna's injury might keep him out?

Britton is just lights out. Just does not get hit hard. Choppers and Ks all the time. I trust him more than Chapman in a big spot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Does anyone have an information about how long Osuna's injury might keep him out?

I'd say absolute minimum 2 weeks, given the location and uncertainty, maximum season (obviously), but it's all speculation because the MRI results haven't been reported yet. I'd be (and am) holding with hopes but the expectation that he's going to miss the season, but that's just how I roll. gotta protect the heart, ya know?

All - I have $8 bid on Diaz and $1 on Sulser. Does that seem about right?

Ranking the edge/WW relievers for future saves onlyōĆ what do you think?

1. Pomeranz

2. Lugo

3. Pressly

4. Bass

5. T. Williams

6. Sulser

7. Hernandez

8. J. Diaz

9. Gott

10. Burdi

11. Hand

12. Karinchak

13. Wick

14. Jeffress

15. Rosenthal

16. Holland

17. Castillo

18. Anderson

19. Familia

20. Pena

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So it looks like the Cubs turned to Jeffres today in a tie game in 9th (and he got the win). 

Correction:
It looks like it was the 11th, and the Cubs happened to score at the bottom half.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure this has been discussed to death - but is Kennedy still closing or are they doing a closer by committee in KC? (Rosenthal, Kennedy, and Holland). 

5 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Ranking the edge/WW relievers for future saves onlyōĆ what do you think?

1. Pomeranz

2. Lugo

3. Pressly

4. Bass

5. T. Williams

6. Sulser

7. Hernandez

8. J. Diaz

9. Gott

10. Burdi

11. Hand

12. Karinchak

13. Wick

14. Jeffress

15. Rosenthal

16. Holland

17. Castillo

18. Anderson

19. Familia

20. Pena

lol fair play my man. Can't believe you had the mental and intestinal fortitude to put together all these rankings.

What a total clusterf*** closer is this year...mercy. 

2 hours ago, fredo_corleone said:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death - but is Kennedy still closing or are they doing a closer by committee in KC? (Rosenthal, Kennedy, and Holland). 

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article244024547.html

Wish I'd seen this before the season (or at least before I bid aggressively on Rosenthal haha) - apparently a committtee was always the plan. 

• Thanks 1