Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

1 minute ago, smeeze said:

Kimbrel hasn’t pitched since Friday so it’s not like Ross is resting him. Changing of the guard?

Ross basically said as much after the last outing. Didn’t commit to Kimbrel as the closer when asked and said he was having conversations with Kimbrel. Doesn’t mean he won’t give him a shot to earn it back. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Ross basically said as much after the last outing. Didn’t commit to Kimbrel as the closer when asked and said he was having conversations with Kimbrel. Doesn’t mean he won’t give him a shot to earn it back. 

I think he'd be crazy to climb back on that rollercoaster. The only reason to even consider it is that I would imagine a guy like Kimbrel might kind of mentally check out and be useless if he is not the closer. Still another year on that contract with decent money too, I believe.

5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Burdi is threatening to torch everyone's ratios in a non save situation.

At least he's limited by the bottom of the ninth. But didn't look strong out there...

Jairo Diaz coming in with a three run lead to start the ninth and promptly gives up a double, single, sacrifice fly, single to Panda for another run... he's really trying to give Estevez a shot at this job.

Coors Field is a just a killer for any pitcher.  Honestly speaking, Ubaldo Jimenez really should have won the Cy Young in 2010 for putting up a 2.88 ERA with half his games at Coors

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Jairo Diaz coming in with a three run lead to start the ninth and promptly gives up a double, single, sacrifice fly, single to Panda for another run... he's really trying to give Estevez a shot at this job.

Managed to escape, and the Panda ball I think was ruled an error. Should be enough to hold off Estevez for now.

Just now, 80version said:

Not surprised by Diaz. He had his implosions in the short stint as closer last year too.  Closer spot really is an absolute dumpster fire this year. 

I had Diaz last year and he was so hit or miss in the closer role - decided to pass on him. Doesn't help that he's COL based. 

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Pomeranz with a scoreless inning. Always liked that guy.

Didn’t look all that good. Muncy hit a shot to the warning track.. another couple feet and it would have been a tied game. 

13 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He seemed to be pitching a little more to contact to start with a 3 run lead, but then couldn't reign it in. To be fair, he had things in control when McMahon bombed the throw to first on a groundball right to him that Panda hit and that both scored a run and let Panda get to 2nd. Without that error it would have been 7-5, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Big swing.

• Like 1

Burdi looked like he couldn't miss bats today... Burdi or Sulser in a better spot moving forward? I know Burdi has better stuff and he just faced the best offense in baseball (imo), but Sulser seems to have more season to him. Thoughts?

Yates immediately comes in and gives up a bomb to Bellinger. 

:unsure:

Then proceeds to strike out Pollock, Seager, and Taylor on the next 13 pitches.

I really think he's fine and this is some rust related to the lack of spring training.

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Then proceeds to strike out Pollock, Seager, and Taylor on the next 13 pitches.

I really think he's fine and this is some rust related to the lack of spring training.

Yep. He looked great after that floater that Belli pancaked. Should be fine moving forward imo.

14 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Any word on Kela? I’m a Burdi owner and wondering if I should cut bait soon since tonight looked bad and most likely Kela gets the role when he returns.

UN, AUG 2, 10:53 AMROTOWIRE.COM

Kela (illness) will not be activated for at least a few days, general manager Ben Cherington told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Spin: Speaking on his Sunday radio show, Cherington noted that the reliever is currently throwing with a number of rehabbing pitchers at PNC Park. Kela will need to throw off the mound multiple times and face live hitters, showing game shape prior to activation. Nick Burdi will likely continue to serve as the team's closer in Kela's stead.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, B&F said:

UN, AUG 2, 10:53 AMROTOWIRE.COM

Kela (illness) will not be activated for at least a few days, general manager Ben Cherington told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Spin: Speaking on his Sunday radio show, Cherington noted that the reliever is currently throwing with a number of rehabbing pitchers at PNC Park. Kela will need to throw off the mound multiple times and face live hitters, showing game shape prior to activation. Nick Burdi will likely continue to serve as the team's closer in Kela's stead.

What’s everyone’s thought in regards to Kela immediately getting the role upon return?

9 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

What’s everyone’s thought in regards to Kela immediately getting the role upon return?

I'm not sure he gets it back immediately, but I don't think it'll take him more than 1-2 outings. If he looks good I think the job is his. Burdi had the opportunity but didn't run away with things, imo.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm not sure he gets it back immediately, but I don't think it'll take him more than 1-2 outings. If he looks good I think the job is his. Burdi had the opportunity but didn't run away with things, imo.

Switching gears - you think it be wise to assume Wick has the job in Chi-town for now?

From what I read Kela is candidate to be traded at the August 31st trade deadline.  He is a free agent this offseason.  

• Like 3