urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

Switching gears - you think it be wise to assume Wick has the job in Chi-town for now?

I've advocated for Wick here before, and I'm a Cubs fan so I follow the team closely, but I don't think it would be wise to assume that. I think he's the guy I'd put money on, but Jeffress is still there, has done everything asked of him including pitching out of multiple DIFFICULT situations, and Kimbrel is still there as well (though I think he's just going to be used as a regular reliever until he gets it together, at least).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Padres closer rankings:

1. Kirby Yates

2. Luis Patino

3. Drew Pomeranz

(Kidding but not really kidding, Patino supposed to be NASTY)

Pirates manager Derek Shelton said Tuesday that Keone Kela (COVID-19) will be the closer upon his return.

Kela was just cleared to returned to workouts a couple of days ago, so there's no clear timetable for his return. Nick Burdi is the top option in the back-end of the Pirates' bullpen for now, but be ready to pivot not so far in the distant future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aapox said:

I've advocated for Wick here before, and I'm a Cubs fan so I follow the team closely, but I don't think it would be wise to assume that. I think he's the guy I'd put money on, but Jeffress is still there, has done everything asked of him including pitching out of multiple DIFFICULT situations, and Kimbrel is still there as well (though I think he's just going to be used as a regular reliever until he gets it together, at least).

If you were to roster either Diego Castillo or Wick in a roto league with SV & SV+HLD as categories, who would you choose? 

From Rotoworld site:

Astros manager Dusty Baker said during an appearance on SportsTalk790 on Tuesday that he's not optimistic about the outlook for Roberto Osuna (elbow) moving forward.

"Doesn't look real good, actually," explained Baker. "He went and had an MRI yesterday. He's in our prayers and in our thoughts. The reality is it's probably not really good news." Osuna was pulled from an appearance on Saturday before landing on the injured list with right elbow soreness. Tommy John surgery or not, it appears he's facing a lengthy absence. Ryan Pressly will likely be the fill-in closer, though he has had his own elbow issue of late. Blake Taylor would be the darkhorse here.

12 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

If you were to roster either Diego Castillo or Wick in a roto league with SV & SV+HLD as categories, who would you choose? 

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well I don't like Osuna as a person after teh domestic violence stuff but I don't wish him TJ either.

Mark Berman of FOX 26 hears that the initial diagnosis for Roberto Osuna (elbow) is that he needs Tommy John surgery.

This seemed to be what Astros manager Dusty Baker was indicating in a radio interview on Tuesday, but now we know for sure. Osuna will receive a second opinion before making a decision, but either way he's going to be out for an extended period. With this shortened season, it's safe to say he's not going to pitch again this year. And given the timing of potential surgery, it could put his participation in the 2021 season at stake as well. We should have some clarity on his situation in the next couple of days, but for now, Ryan Pressly should see the bulk of the save chances for the Astros.

Source: Mark Berman on Twitter            Aug 4, 2020, 2:13 PM ET

• Like 1

I'd pick Wick. TB just has so many guys who will be used interchangeably I'm avoiding now. They're all good and should contribute but I'd rather have a guy with more upside.

Agreed with you on both accounts, @The Big Bat Theory. For owners, at least, this provides clarity that you can use an IL Spot on someone else, should you need it.

Rosenthal worth a hold anymore?

8 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

I'd say depends on what your other options are. When I have watched him pitch, he has looked great, and I think he is the reliever that they have the most confidence in right now. But the problem is that Royals just aren't going to generate a ton of saves chances and when they do, it might depend on how the game falls whether or not he gets the opportunity. If maybe 5-6 saves ROS with solid ratios (although with the short season one blowup can always torpedo that) and a good K rate works for you, I'd say it's a hold. But there might be other guys out there with more pure saves upside. I'm holding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

I dropped him cuz I already had shares of Hader, Britton, Hudson, Diaz and Pressly.  

It certainly depends on how deep your league is.  

My thought process basically was yes he’s throwing hard and looks solid so far but IF he’s sharing duties with Holland then it really hurts his value ESP considering how little save opportunities the Royals will receive.

I was a Kennedy owner last year and the same was said about limited chances, however in a 60 game season it’s hard to justify holding him if you’re in a 12-teamer or less 

• Thanks 1

This is my favorite thread!  I learn so many new names of players I never knew existed.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

I'm stashing Staumont in KC, but there may not be many saves opps there. Hopefully I don't botch copying this link, but he's nasty....

Schwarber's pitching wedge at the end is nice. 

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

Yes. I know there have been some quotes about Matheny having no set roles, but I think he’ll emerge as the go-to guy in the 9th. Holland is trash and will fade into irrelevance again soon. Kennedy is still pretty good but I think he’s the “fireman” who can give 2 innings if needed. He and Staumont are the best arms in the pen.

9 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I'm stashing Staumont in KC, but there may not be many saves opps there. Hopefully I don't botch copying this link, but he's nasty....

Schwarber's pitching wedge at the end is nice. 

I was watching that game live, and my Cubs guys had NO CHANCE. His stuff was absolutely on, and if that's the case, forget about it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

So is it “run, don’t walk” to get Pressly? 

I'm pretty sure he is already gone in most league but if not in yours then yes.  But you should know he might not be charging right out of the gate.  This was from 2 days ago.  Just be patient.

Ryan Pressly dealt with a cut on the cuticle above his right thumbnail during his season debut Saturday.

It does not sound like the cut was the reason he was removed after two-thirds of an inning, though. “Fortunately for us, he was alright,” Astros manager Dusty Baker said. “We got him out of there because we didn’t want him to throw too many pitches because that’s his first outing.” Pressly's season debut was delayed due to elbow issues, but it appears that is behind him for now. If Roberto Osuna (arm) has to miss time, Pressly could step in at closer. However, Baker might not want to throw him into save situations right away.

Source: MLB.com           Aug 2, 2020, 10:28 AM ET

Elbow issues tend to make managers nervous as in don't push the guy too much just in case it comes back again.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

I hoped Familia may be given a shot to close for the Mets but his usage tonight, in the 5th and 6th, kinda dampens that parade....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

I hoped Familia may be given a shot to close for the Mets but his usage tonight, in the 5th and 6th, kinda dampens that parade....

If Diaz is garbage fire, Familia is said garbage fire, except you throw an extra bucket of dog poop in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

If Diaz is garbage fire, Familia is said garbage fire, except you throw an extra bucket of dog poop in there.

Well said

Wick is a pickup...Doolittle is droppable