Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Jo Adell 2020 Outlook

Angels have already said back in camp that they wouldn't bring him up if he wasn't gonna get everyday AB's so he's gonna be in the lineup daily. Likely means Ohtani is hitting the IL unfortunately

• Like 2

His .676 OPS and 1 SB in 27 PCL games scares me a bit. I guess in these situations you add him and pray but not sure if he’s there yet.

4 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Angels have already said back in camp that they wouldn't bring him up if he wasn't gonna get everyday AB's so he's gonna be in the lineup daily. Likely means Ohtani is hitting the IL unfortunately

Timing is interesting but they’ve given 35 plate appearances to Tyler Ward and Hermosillo in the outfield. There’s still room for Ohtani to DH if he’s just got some soreness. 

2 minutes ago, exaulz said:

His .676 OPS and 1 SB in 27 PCL games scares me a bit. I guess in these situations you add him and pray but not sure if he’s there yet.

Eh, he had a slump after the promotion. He hit .314 with 9 doubles in the final 15 games at Triple-A. 

12 minutes ago, street sharks said:

What's a good comp for Adell?

Probably Justin Upton when he was young. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, street sharks said:

What's a good comp for Adell?

I read one scout throw out Eric Davis and Ron Gant as his potential.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Not to derail this thread, but I completely forget how good Ron Gant was from 90 - 93. He even stole double digit bases most years. Man oh man those early 90s Braves teams were absolutely stacked. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Davis's name is thrown out too easily in comps like this (Robert has been compared to him as well). When he was healthyish his numbers were kind of insane -- 30/40, high BA and OBP, about 180 combined R + RBI per year during his 5 year peak before injuries really slowed him down, and that's averaging only 130 games per season.

Adell doesn't project to match ED's production in any cat except maybe home runs. Justin Upton with a less discerning eye is probably a better comp.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Davis's name is thrown out too easily in comps like this (Robert has been compared to him as well). When he was healthyish his numbers were kind of insane -- 30/40, high BA and OBP, about 180 combined R + RBI per year during his 5 year peak before injuries really slowed him down, and that's averaging only 130 games per season.

Adell doesn't project to match ED's production in any cat except maybe home runs. Justin Upton with a less discerning eye is probably a better comp.

I agree. Davis had an 80 stolen base season as well. The Upton comp is more realistic but he will have the chance to rack up RBIs behind guys like Trout, Rendon, Upton and Ohtani, assuming that’s where fits in the lineup. 

Edited by ryno1980

5 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Tough day for Adell. Canseco’d a ball in RF and went 0-4 with 4 strikeouts.

Does that count as his first HR hit?  Technically hit knocked it over the fence.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If your league rewards hitters for striking out, this guy is going to be (already is really) a bonafide stud right out the gates. I’m talking ELITE 

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Haha 1

Couple of knocks tonight.  Showing some life, hitting the ball hard when he connects.  His swing reminds me a lot of McCutchen. 

Yikes...13 Ks in 29 PAs so far. No ebh, one walk, two runs and a bunch of nothing. SSS and all that, but he's completely overmatched right now. I keep thinking back to when Madden said Adell was a great talent but had a long way to go, or a lot to learn, or something along those lines. He just doesn't seem ready for this stage. 

30 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yikes...13 Ks in 29 PAs so far. No ebh, one walk, two runs and a bunch of nothing. SSS and all that, but he's completely overmatched right now. I keep thinking back to when Madden said Adell was a great talent but had a long way to go, or a lot to learn, or something along those lines. He just doesn't seem ready for this stage. 

No doubles, no rbi, no hr, has only scored 2 runs. Dude isn't rdy at all for the big leagues 

Finally got an RBI today, but he just isn’t ready...59 AB and 1 RBI. Yikes. 

Seems like he's at least calming down a little and stringing together a few hits though...In a dynasty league, any signs of life are good to see. Like FlyMan said, he just doesn't seem quite ready...There's no shame in that...I'd rather see them stick with him this year, than him bounce up and down from the minors. I feel like that kind of stuff wears on some of these younger guys.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Yes 

Yo Brock, good to see you're still on here. This is my first post on here in like... 2 years? 1.5 years? Something like that.

How are you feeling about this kid going forward? I might be grabbing him in a dynasty setting. Pretty stoked for him, I think he's just lost atm!