einstein2u

Tyler Mahle 2020 Outlook

Don't know much about him, but he pitches on a good team with a good schedule.  Seems to increase velocity.  Is he someone we should be more interested in?

He has good fastball command and is still relatively young, so that's kept him on my radar the last few years, but he's never had good secondary pitches. Last season he ditched his change-up and slider for a splitter and a curve, but it didn't really help. This season he's brought back the slider and so far it's been better.

Might not have huge upside but if he's finally found a good breaking ball he should become a solid mid-rotation type worth rostering in most leagues.

• Like 1

I'm a fan.  Has a good offense behind him if wins are a category too, worst part is the ballpark.  I like him as a backend starter on a fantasy team, I own a couple shares.

• Like 2

damn.  back in the bullpen and lost his  2 start.

Mahle is available out of the bullpen Sunday since Wade Miley (groin) will rejoin the starting rotation this week, Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

11 K’s with 19 swinging strikes.  I think he’s worth grabbing in most leagues with a hope of locking down that rotation spot.   

• Like 2

This kid is very good. Surprised he's so slept on - if he runs away with a rotation spot he'll be solid.

41 minutes ago, Acre said:

This kid is very good. Surprised he's so slept on - if he runs away with a rotation spot he'll be solid.

Maybe, but he has  been inconsistent. I'm rooting for him.

Is he trustworthy this week?  Starts @CHC and @STL. He's look great with the slider lately but hard to ignore his low BABIP and extreme fly ball ways.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:50 PM, Josean Pelota said:

Is he trustworthy this week?  Starts @CHC and @STL. He's look great with the slider lately but hard to ignore his low BABIP and extreme fly ball ways.

Streaming him in leagues where necessary but not going out of my way due to the babip and fly ball numbers you mentioned. 

Tough start at @CHC but Mills can be hit so I am going to start Mahle.  

• Like 1

Another nice outing.  

Too bad the Reds offense has been awful.

Remaining schedule : at STL, vs PIT, vs CHW, at MIN

If he can keep the momentum he should at least rack up Ks and not hurt the ERA and WHIP.

• Like 1

Concerned whether you can even roster him at this point with White Sox and Twins being next two opponents it sounds like.  Anyone trust him enough versus the White Sox to start tonight?

28 minutes ago, indycolts88 said:

Concerned whether you can even roster him at this point with White Sox and Twins being next two opponents it sounds like.  Anyone trust him enough versus the White Sox to start tonight?

Hell No

• Like 1

Pretty desperate for a Win & K's so I might start him.

Sox just clinched so I'll wait to see their lineup tonight before deciding. Hoping they rest their starters.

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Is he not slated to start again for the rest of the season?  Ugh.

I was looking at this earlier. They pushed Bauer up to pitch on 3 days rest. Regarding Mahle, I’d venture to guess he starts this weekend against Minnesota. The Reds are playing important games and I highly doubt they trot Desclafani out there against a tough Minnesota lineup. 

10 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Is he not slated to start again for the rest of the season?  Ugh.

ESPN has him going on Friday

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

ESPN has him going on Friday

Yahoo has it tentatively scheduled as Bauer for Wednesday, off day Thursday, and @ Minnesota DeScalafani for Friday, Castillo for Saturday and Gray for Sunday.

He's going tonight. It'll be an interesting matchup: Twins struggle against good fastballs and sliders, but they have loads of power and Mahle loves his fly ball outs.