B&F

Dylan Moore 2020 Outlook

Late bloomer.  Getting a Whit Merrifield vibe with him.  More power and less speed.  Good eye at the plate.

Good start to the season and should be entrenched in the #2 hole. Potential to be a 15/15 player over a full season which definitely has value in most leagues.

• Like 4

Playing everyday?  I debated between him and Cronenworth, and picked Cronenworth based on clearer path to time.

7 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Playing everyday?  I debated between him and Cronenworth, and picked Cronenworth based on clearer path to time.

He'll play as long as he keeps hitting, and he can play multiple positions. Mariners are seeing what they have this season. Mallex and Vogelbach aren't doing anything and they just optioned Marmolejos who would have been competing with Moore for playing time. Lopes has turned back into a pumpkin as well.

He just swiped another bag.

Moore showed these flashes of greatness last season as well.  His playing time always suffers somehow though.  He will continue to fight for space with Lopes/Vogelbach/Smith.  The hot bat may mean more games, but every day is tough to believe.  

During the game today the manager said the organization really likes what he did in the minors and said he wants to get him constant ABs

• Like 2

Just went to add him in all my leagues because f*** it the season is short you only live once or something of that nature

15 hours ago, Macgregor said:

So...

19654934_ScreenShot2020-08-07at12_58_48PM.png.513fa4407dfcec73b0f328122dc694c4.png

...how much of that is noise?

It's all noise/garbage .. nothing to see here

1 hour ago, Truth11 said:

So is this guy a not worth a pickup?

just depends on what your giving up

in deep leagues you could do worse than a guy playing seemingly everyday with versatility and is hot.

but most likely it's just air and will roll over and ull drop him in 4 days. 

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

but most likely it's just air and will roll over and ull drop him in 4 days. 

0 for his last 8 with 7 Ks, it could be starting.

Bomb.  Probably bought him a couple more starts at least to prove himself.

@TEX and @HOU this week.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 5:34 PM, uwguy98 said:

Moore showed these flashes of greatness last season as well.  His playing time always suffers somehow though.  He will continue to fight for space with Lopes/Vogelbach/Smith.  The hot bat may mean more games, but every day is tough to believe.  

I’d say he bought himself a bit of breathing room tonight....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BMcP said:

I’d say he bought himself a bit of breathing room tonight....

A most logical assessment...and then somehow Dee Gordon is going to take his place for a night. 

He made history though. His home run (435 ft) off Jesse Chavez is the first ever to hit the center wall beyond the 407 foot sign in Global Life Field history.  

• Like 1

I'm letting him play out because of the steals, they are so hard to find. But long term is murky.

Striking out a ton at 28% but great o-swing at 23% and only 9% swinging strikes... Those don't mesh with a 28% krate, but then again we look at pitch values on fangraphs and he's killing fastballs but negative on pretty much everything else. Perhaps the k rate is high because pitchers are hitting him with breaking and offspeed deeper in counts and hasnt hit them. If pitchers lay off throw heat it could get ugly.

He's hitting the ball hard 54% of the time and that's no mistake, looks like he's adjusted to a pull heavy approach with only 21% oppo, after spending his career spreading the ball around.

All small samples but that's what we got to work with this year, right?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Josean Pelota said:

What's the DTD about?

Sore wrist.

• Thanks 1

He's looking like a prime regression candidate. We know he has speed, and that will help maintain an inflated BABIP some, but his K rate is almost 30% and I don't think the .250 ISO holds up. But he does have an ability to hit to all sides, and hit plenty of line drives, so I take those as indicators of great potential if he can decrease the K rate some. 

16 hours ago, Josean Pelota said:

He's looking like a prime regression candidate. We know he has speed, and that will help maintain an inflated BABIP some, but his K rate is almost 30% and I don't think the .250 ISO holds up. But he does have an ability to hit to all sides, and hit plenty of line drives, so I take those as indicators of great potential if he can decrease the K rate some. 

You have to look beyond strikeout numbers to judge regression.  Yes, his strikeout rate is high, but his SwStr% is actually not too bad, his underlying power metrics all look good, and he has enough speed to keep his babip high (especially with that line-drive approach.)  His xBA is actually higher than his current BA, so I don't see why he can't be a 20HR/15SB player that hits .270+, with maybe upside for a little more.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

You have to look beyond strikeout numbers to judge regression.  Yes, his strikeout rate is high, but his SwStr% is actually not too bad, his underlying power metrics all look good, and he has enough speed to keep his babip high (especially with that line-drive approach.)  His xBA is actually higher than his current BA, so I don't see why he can't be a 20HR/15SB player that hits .270+, with maybe upside for a little more.

I mean, I have him, so I'm hope you're right. His O swing is actually what gives me the most hope; his K rate isn't really owed to having poor judgment, so I'm hopeful he can keep putting it together, sooner rather than later. 

Posted (edited)

And he's hit the DL with a wrist injury.  Might be time to cut bait.  Wrist injuries can be tough to come back from, especially in a shortened season.

Edited by Snilbog