Panthers8912

2020 Late Round Sleepers

Didn’t see a thread for this yet, apologies if there was one (I did search). Who are some of the late round players you all will be snagging this year? Guys like John brown last year (ended up taking him thanks to another users advice, s/o to that guy). The only names that come to mind for me are jalen reagor and Mike gesiki. Both mostly do to volume projections. Floating around Carlos Hyde as Chris carson insurance and potential fill in even if carson is healthy (penny role). Who are some of the guys you love late? Thanks 

Posted (edited)

I’m keeping an eye on GB WR Allen Lazard. He may even go undrafted as he did in 1 league I’m in. He was a $1 flyer in my auction, as well

1) Rodgers likes him & urged LaFleur to put him on the field 

2) Funchess opted out 

3) MVS & St.Brown didn’t step up 

This all leads me to believe he could have a really nice year as a fantasy WR3/Flex option with upside. Adams’ ceiling is about 105-1200-10. If Rodgers throws for 4100-30, Lazard could very well approach 900 yards on 60-70 receptions & score 5-6 times

Edited by lvsaint429
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Edit: my definition of "late-round flyer" is round 12 in a 12-team draft, so essentially after around pick 140. Maybe pick #150 is a better cut-off point.

Here's a couple of the kids I follow:

RANK

PLAYER Team (Bye)

POS

Comment

Preston Williams MIA (11) 

WR56

Everyone’s favorite sleeper

Anthony Miller CHI (11) 

WR58

Has only ARob ahead of him

Jonnu Smith TEN (7) 

TE17

Very talented TE

Duke Johnson HOU (8) 

RB49

What happens if David Johnson breaks down (again)?

Michael Pittman Jr. IND (7) 

WR60

Talented rookie with a decent QB, should be starter

Blake Jarwin DAL (10) 

TE21

Again very talented TE

Tyrell Williams LV (6) 

WR69

The Raiders have no clear #1 WR after Waller

Corey Davis TEN (7) 

WR71

Is now considered a flop, but he still had round1 talent some years ago.

Anthony McFarland Jr. PIT (8) 

RB62

Interesting rookie RB in a very messy backfield.

DeAndre Washington KC (10) 

RB78

There is essentially no RB2 after CEH

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Fun fact on the ^aforementioned Corey Davis. He was drafted before Mike Williams and has more yards and receptions then Williams (skewed by Williams getting hurt but still). Last we saw Davis he had more targets then AJ Brown in the playoff loss to the Chiefs. He's also entering his 1st NFL season without Mariota as his starting QB and for the first time likely won't be drawing the opposing defenses top corner. In a contract year too.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, turner46 said:

Fun fact on the ^aforementioned Corey Davis. He was drafted before Mike Williams and has more yards and receptions then Williams (skewed by Williams getting hurt but still). Last we saw Davis he had more targets then AJ Brown in the playoff loss to the Chiefs. He's also entering his 1st NFL season without Mariota as his starting QB and for the first time likely won't be drawing the opposing defenses top corner. In a contract year too.

Like this take... but as someone also eye'ing Jonnu (with context of Delanie's legacy target share)... can the TEN passing volume support three receivers?

• Like 1

• Cardinals TE Dan Arnold was named among the team's 2020 breakout candidates. 

Cardinals correspondents Craig Grialou and Mike Jurecki, who work for the team, included Arnold in a short list of Arizona players who could surprise this year. At 6'6" and 220 pounds, Jurecki said Arnold will create mismatches with smaller safeties and slower linebackers. Arnold could be utilized in the slot, especially in the red zone, according to the correspondents, who talked up Arnold's "immediate chemistry" with Kyler Murray. In three games with Arizona last season, Arnold caught eight of 14 targets for 127 yards and two touchdowns. The third-year tight end will compete with Maxx Williams for playing time this season. 

Aug 6, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

•  

47 minutes ago, Maroney's Bolgna said:

Like this take... but as someone also eye'ing Jonnu (with context of Delanie's legacy target share)... can the TEN passing volume support three receivers?

Imo no, but it is possible. Corey Davis is free, I haven't been targeting Jonnu but assume he's cheap so it may be worth checking out and easy to move on from if one or both don't pan out in what I believe is a contract yesr for both.

45 minutes ago, The G Man said:
  • Cardinals TE Dan Arnold was named among the team's 2020 breakout candidates. 

Cardinals correspondents Craig Grialou and Mike Jurecki, who work for the team, included Arnold in a short list of Arizona players who could surprise this year. At 6'6" and 220 pounds, Jurecki said Arnold will create mismatches with smaller safeties and slower linebackers. Arnold could be utilized in the slot, especially in the red zone, according to the correspondents, who talked up Arnold's "immediate chemistry" with Kyler Murray. In three games with Arizona last season, Arnold caught eight of 14 targets for 127 yards and two touchdowns. The third-year tight end will compete with Maxx Williams for playing time this season. 

Aug 6, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

•  

For starters, the bolded sentence is incorrect. That was his season total. In three games with Arizona, he caught 6 of 10 targets for 102 and 2 TD. 

As for his prospects in Arizona, we'll see. Nuk is in town now, and Fitz and Kirk are still there. Plus Drake and Edmonds out of the backfield. I just don't see that many targets for Arnold, even if he becomes the primary TE. 

• Thanks 3

Steven Sims for Washington presents an intriguing late round dart throw.

Last 4 games of last year had 36 targets.

Stat line of 20-230-4 over those 4 games.
Kelvin Harmon is now injured for the season and Gandy-Golden is a rookie with limited prep this year due to COVID. Sims did show some late season development and some chemistry with Haskins down the stretch. Obviously won’t be the no.1 option as that belongs to McLaurin but could do a lot worse as a last round dart throw.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Deep leagues I like JJ Arcega-Whiteside  Chase Claypool, and Parris Campbell...Blake Jarwin as a TE: 

Edited by hockeyfan77

I can't believe DeAndre Washington is going that late. He has shown that he can be the main back when injury hits while in Oakland. He seems like a good fit and you could possibly have a back end RB1 if CEH gets hurt. I guess the ADP is low because we saw the Chiefs rotate through the 2nd tier backs last season, but I think Washington has more experience and is most likely of the backups to get 10+ carries and work in the passing game.

5 hours ago, Black_Panther said:

Steven Sims for Washington presents an intriguing late round dart throw.

Last 4 games of last year had 36 targets.

Stat line of 20-230-4 over those 4 games.
Kelvin Harmon is now injured for the season and Gandy-Golden is a rookie with limited prep this year due to COVID. Sims did show some late season development and some chemistry with Haskins down the stretch. Obviously won’t be the no.1 option as that belongs to McLaurin but could do a lot worse as a last round dart throw.

This is a good one- has a leg up on the entire depth chart except McLaurin.  

40 minutes ago, Agmaniacmike said:

I can't believe DeAndre Washington is going that late. He has shown that he can be the main back when injury hits while in Oakland. He seems like a good fit and you could possibly have a back end RB1 if CEH gets hurt. I guess the ADP is low because we saw the Chiefs rotate through the 2nd tier backs last season, but I think Washington has more experience and is most likely of the backups to get 10+ carries and work in the passing game.

Personally I think they'll RBBC, but who knows for sure.   Darwin Thompson probably gets a shot too

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Personally I think they'll RBBC, but who knows for sure.   Darwin Thompson probably gets a shot too

If KC goes RBBC, it won't be for long. 

12 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Deep leagues I like JJ Arcega-Whiteside  Chase Claypool, and Parris Campbell...Blake Jarwin as a TE: 

Yea Paris Campbell and Pittman as well are intriguing options later in the draft. Colts number 1 receiver already dealing with injury niggles which seem to be a common theme for Hilton lately so both those players do seem to have a realistic shot to command significant targets. Rivers is well past his best but wouldn’t surprise me if he can muster one more good season and at least one of those guys should benefit.

Also agree with Jarwin. 166 targets were vacated by Witten and Cobb. Obviously a lot of those will go to Lamb but even if Jarwin gets around 50 of those that would take his target total to approximately 90 based off last seasons numbers. Wrote about this in another thread but Jarwin looked the far superior TE for Dallas last season yet they kept dumping it off to Witten for 5 yards who would literally just fall to the ground. Go figure

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This one is more for PPR leagues and those using a zero rb strategy or perhaps the way the draft went and didn’t get much rb depth but Chris Thompson for Jacksonville could surprise. Always looked good when he did play for Washington and Gruden I’m sure hasn’t brought him over for no reason. Over the last 3 seasons  has averaged 4 receptions per game but has had each of those seasons derailed with an injury. Certainly worth a dart throw towards the end of the draft for teams that didn’t draft much rb depth.

Edited by Black_Panther
  • Like 3

Gonna try and redeem myself after Flyman75 ripped me on my last entry...

Panthers coach Matt Rhule declared it is Ian Thomas' "turn" as the team's TE.

Rhule opened the statement by declaring Chris Manhertz as potentially one of the league's best blocking TEs. Thomas, however, offers much more receiving upside, and is in the driver's seat to top the depth chart at the position. It's a fantastic opportunity for the athletic pass catcher, who has (mostly) shined in spot starts over the last two seasons with Greg Olsen sidelined. Thomas is one of the many intriguing upside tight ends being drafted in the later rounds.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:27 PM ET
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Gonna try and redeem myself after Flyman75 ripped me on my last entry...

Panthers coach Matt Rhule declared it is Ian Thomas' "turn" as the team's TE.

Rhule opened the statement by declaring Chris Manhertz as potentially one of the league's best blocking TEs. Thomas, however, offers much more receiving upside, and is in the driver's seat to top the depth chart at the position. It's a fantastic opportunity for the athletic pass catcher, who has (mostly) shined in spot starts over the last two seasons with Greg Olsen sidelined. Thomas is one of the many intriguing upside tight ends being drafted in the later rounds.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:27 PM ET

Lol. I didn't rip you...I corrected whomever wrote the blurb you quoted :). I like Thomas this year and think he could be a guy who helps with the resurgence of the TE position in fantasy. And the best part is that Thomas is mostly an afterthought right now. And something to consider...Joe Brady is Carolina's new OC, and he was the architect of an offense that helped Thad Moss break LSU single-season records for receptions and receiving yards for a TE. My assumption would be that the TE will be an integral part of his offensive scheme at Carolina. Moss' numbers weren't outlandish, but when you consider the WR trio and CEH AND the fact that he hadn't played since 2016, he was impressive. And in his final 7 games played, Moss put up 33-417-3. All that to say, if Brady makes TE a priority in the passing game in Carolina, Thomas could be a super sneaky pick near the end of drafts. 

I like the Ian Thomas tout infinitely better than the Dan Arnold tout :D. Now watch Arnold come out and turn into a top 5 TE out of nowhere this year while Thomas struggles to break into the top 15. LOL!!

Edited by Flyman75
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Noticing there is a lot of sleeper TE this year as some of the posts in this thread have highlighted. Very high chance I’ll take a TE or 2 towards the end of any draft.

Jarwin, Thomas, Jonnu Smith have been already highlighted. 

Doyle out of Indy also another. Wouldn’t say a supreme talent but Ebron is now out of town and Rivers has joined the fray and has a very strong history of using TE with the likes of Gates and Henry. Definitely worth a shot given the above reasons.

Another is Will Dissly from Seattle. From last season was well on his way to a top 5 TE finish after the first five games. 23-262-4 was his stat line to that point. I know they did pick up Olsen this season but will it be more of an insurance thing if Dissly gets hurt or more of a situation like what Dallas had with Jarwin and Witten last season? Either way in 2 seasons has proven to be very productive when he plays games and still quite young but just can’t avoid the injuries yet. A lot of the TE being drafted ahead of him or have higher ownership is baffling and one of those is his teammate in Olsen. If I’m drafting a Seattle TE it’s going to be the one with upside. At the very least I’ll be putting on watchlist and consider on waivers depending on what happens in weeks 1 and 2 of the season. 

Edited by Black_Panther
Grammatical errors

There has been apparently some talk that Dissly might start season on PUP which probably renders drafting him useless at this stage. Waiver watch probably the way to go contrary to my above post.

17 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

There has been apparently some talk that Dissly might start season on PUP which probably renders drafting him useless at this stage. Waiver watch probably the way to go contrary to my above post.

I think what you meant to write is that he WONT be on PUP?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/will-dissly-avoids-pup-list-for-seahawks-passes-physical-in-recovery-from-achilles-tear/ar-BB17xfwe

However, Dissly has managed to recover from the Achilles tear in time to avoid the Physically Unable to Perform list for the start of training camp.

“Will had an incredible offseason,” head coach Pete Carroll said on Monday. “He spent nine months working out on a real rigid schedule (in Los Angeles). He didn’t miss one minute of one day in nine straight months. They said they’ve never seen anybody do that before and the benefits of it is that he comes in and passes his physical.

• Like 1

1) Golden Tate

2) Nyheim Hines

3) Chris Thompson

4) Randall Cobb

5) Curtis Samuel

6) Hunter Renfrow

7) Chris Herndon

8) Blake Jarwin

9) Dawson Knox

10) DeSean Jackson

Nyhiem Hines will be this years late round League Winner