Boudewijn

2020 RB Handcuff Thread

5 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

One way under the radar option I am looking at in deep (think 16 teamers) leagues is Corey Clement. He has taken the absolute lions' share of the 1st team reps this camp.

He was injured with a shoulder all last year, but has shown well in spots for this PHI staff (100 receiving in that magical super bowl win).

It is within the range of possibilities that he has reclaimed his back-up role over B Scott.

Man, the hype here was through the roof with Clement a couple years ago and then he faceplanted. Good call for deeper leagues though where all the attractive stashes are gone.

14 minutes ago, dnorma2 said:

I don't understand why ... And I'm a saints fan and watch all there games .... But to each his own 

Saints fan here too ... and thats just silly. L Murray is the clear cut backup to AK.

Proof is in the pudding, just look at last year what he did the few games Kamara went down. Absolutely dominated.

Ty Montgomery is an over glorified WR who would take some passing down work , and minimal carries. Latavius Murray is an easy lock for 20+ touches. 

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, dnorma2 said:

I don't understand why ... And I'm a saints fan and watch all there games .... But to each his own 

You should watch the games last season without AK.... there is zero Chance murray wont be the workhorse. Zero!

31 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Man, the hype here was through the roof with Clement a couple years ago and then he faceplanted. Good call for deeper leagues though where all the attractive stashes are gone.

He was injured and unable to maintain his backup role. He is healthy now though. I'm not a big believer in Scott being the sole backup to Sanders. Scott would be sharing the load with at least one other back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Saints fan here too ... and thats just silly. L Murray is the clear cut backup to AK.

Proof is in the pudding, just look at last year what he did the few games Kamara went down. Absolutely dominated.

this ^

Slats was THE rb1 for those 2 weeks ... not "a" rb1, but the top scorer at the position. 

he had 60+ touches, 300+ yds, 4 TDs ... he is undoubtedly the #1 'cuff in the gig. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

One way under the radar option I am looking at in deep (think 16 teamers) leagues is Corey Clement. He has taken the absolute lions' share of the 1st team reps this camp.

He was injured with a shoulder all last year, but has shown well in spots for this PHI staff (100 receiving in that magical super bowl win).

It is within the range of possibilities that he has reclaimed his back-up role over B Scott.

Good plug.  He has looked great in training camp after 2 injury plagued years.  I think he'll carve himself a role, and if Miles were to get hurt I could see him being the more fantasy relevant guy over Scott in PPR formats (although both can catch moderately well so who knows). Sanders/Scott/Clement is a solid grouping but beyond that it's talented project RBs in Huntley/Killins and a plodding Elijah Holyfield (Evander's son!) so if any one of those top 3 goes down the other 2 get a serious value boost.

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

He was injured and unable to maintain his backup role. He is healthy now though. I'm not a big believer in Scott being the sole backup to Sanders. Scott would be sharing the load with at least one other back.

I’m on the same inclination, your a Philly fan huh dev 

Edited by RunCMC

3 hours ago, dnorma2 said:

Because he's a very good football player and Ty Montgomery is only a good player.

I think it'd go from 75% output AK41/25% Latavius (to make it a simple 2 way split, in reality there's a 3rd) to 75% Latavius/25% Ty-Mont. Montgomery is a nice pass catcher but I can't see him having anywhere near the rushing role that AK41 has. He was unimpressive when rushing in GB.

EDIT: oops, didn't see this was hashed out already on page 2. My B.

Edited by aapox

As an Aaron Jones owner I wasn't sure to grab AJ Dillon or Williams. I ended up doing research on the spot and grabbed Dillon, but it seems like Williams will take some of the rushing and passing work away from Jones while both are healthy. And Dillon might step in for Jones in the event of an injury, minus the passing downs (Williams role stays relatively the same,  maybe a little more rushing work and most of the receiving). Not sure if my understanding is correct. 

For any Josh Jacob's owners - you may want to roster Devontae Booker as his handcuff. Basically signed for nothing and made Lynn Bowden expendable apparently. 

Jalen Richard is looked at a change of pace back and receiving back. Booker had some flashes with the Broncos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cbsholy said:

As an Aaron Jones owner I wasn't sure to grab AJ Dillon or Williams. I ended up doing research on the spot and grabbed Dillon, but it seems like Williams will take some of the rushing and passing work away from Jones while both are healthy. And Dillon might step in for Jones in the event of an injury, minus the passing downs (Williams role stays relatively the same,  maybe a little more rushing work and most of the receiving). Not sure if my understanding is correct. 

This seems about right. You went with the right player. Dillon has more upside. Williams is a JAG...granted, a JAG who has been startable in a pinch because he is a dependable rusher, receiver, and blocker.

Also, FWIW, I don't consider the Packers or Raiders situation worthwhile to handcuff. Maybe Oakland just because of that beastly line and really the lack of depth, but I don't think I'd put a roster spot on Booker.

• Like 1

I haven't read this whole thread but I got a couple questions. Do you normally only roster a handcuff for your own player or would you grab a handcuff for someone that isn't on your team? And would you hold onto any handcuff vs taking fliers on some potential value players on the wire? (James Robinson, Bryan Edwards, etc.)

2 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

I haven't read this whole thread but I got a couple questions. Do you normally only roster a handcuff for your own player or would you grab a handcuff for someone that isn't on your team? And would you hold onto any handcuff vs taking fliers on some potential value players on the wire? (James Robinson, Bryan Edwards, etc.)

My strategy is to never cuff your own players early in the season.  Instead, own at least two high level RB handcuffs on other teams as lotto tickets.  Chances are, you'll never need your own handcuff and he'll waste a roster spot.  Plus, the handcuff could also get injured.  See Chase Edmunds last year.  If you own other handcuffs, you can add and drop as the season progresses and handcuffs become more clear.  If you own your own RB's handcuff, you really just have to hang onto him.  

If your primary back goes down and you have his cuff, you avoided catastrophe, but your team probably still gets a little worse (since the cuff usually isn't as good as the starter).  There's exceptions to this, like Dobbins/Ingram, etc. 

On the other hand, if you get lucky with a lotto ticket RB stash who becomes starter, your team improves greatly.  You can also package him in a trade if his lead back gets a little dinged up and the owner gets worried.  

This year, I think RB lotto tickets are more important than ever.  The usual injury risk to the lead backs is still there, but add COVID-IR risk into the mix and we are talking major RB turnover this year.  With Covid, you don't even need to focus on the cuffs with lead backs who are an injury risk (like Dalvin Cook).   

• Thanks 2

Anyone else rostering Carlos Hyde?

Carson coming back from a bad injury and Penny will be out until at least week 8. Worth the stash IMO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MBarbarian said:

If your primary back goes down and you have his cuff, you avoided catastrophe, but your team probably still gets a little worse (since the cuff usually isn't as good as the starter).  There's exceptions to this, like Dobbins/Ingram, etc.   

Some great points. As you said there are exceptions. Sometimes in a 1a and 1b situation then if 1a goes down, then the time share is gone and 1b feasts more than the 1a ever did. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cbsholy said:

If there isn't a clear cuff you don't bother cuffing, imo.  Why waste a spot all year on a guy that might not benefit if the starter went down?

So you handcuff buffs, let me ask you this: I just dropped my 2 handcuffs in Mattison and Edmonds for Bryan Edwards and Jalen Reagor. Am I an idiot? Here's my thinking....I already own Dobbins who is essentially a handcuff and I didn't see a reason to hold on to 2 more (as good as they can be if called upon) and not take a chance on a couple rookie WR's who may end up being this year's AJ Brown.

Now this only leaves me with 4 RB's and 6 WR's, but I figured if I strike gold I can improve my team for my own use/trades. Maybe I should've dropped one of my other WR's (Anthony Miller/Slayton). But I'm banking on at least 1 of those 4 WR's to break out this year. What do you guys think?

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

How would you guys rank the top 5 most important handcuffs moving forward this year?

Edited by JEREMY LIN

7 minutes ago, JEREMY LIN said:

How would you guys rank the top 5 most important handcuffs moving forward this year?

For Me (purely handcuff edition):

1- Mattison, the no doubt workhorse in an offense that will always est. it

2- Edmunds, seems to really have juice and this scheme is set up very well for him

3- J.K. Dobbins, not the purest cuff but seems behind the starter, just electric talent and auto RB1 if Ingram ever sits

4- Pollard, such a nice talent but Zeke is just absurdly durable

5- J Wilkins, yeah a surprise but this o-line is so good and he actually has a lot of really good traits

HM: LMurray, followed by Jamaal Williams

30 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

2- Edmunds, seems to really have juice and this scheme is set up very well for him

3- J.K. Dobbins, not the purest cuff but seems behind the starter, just electric talent and auto RB1 if Ingram ever sits

5- J Wilkins, yeah a surprise but this o-line is so good and he actually has a lot of really good traits

No Boston Scott love?

1 minute ago, THall0890 said:

No Boston Scott love?

Before the year, yeah I had him in the top 5...he just hasn't looked very explosive and I tend to think that he would be committee member with PPR value.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Latavius Murray should easily be #1 or #2. imho 

Just check his game log last year w/o Kamara. It's insane 

Edited by RunCMC

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JEREMY LIN said:

I'm gonna do this simply based on value should the starter go down and not on likelihood of the starter going down. 

1.) Pollard. Explosive offense, good line, and he'd be the every down back. 

2.) Latavius. Essentially the exact same reasons as above. 

3.) Mattison. Again, same reasons as above, but the offense isn't as good. 

4.) Chase. All the same reasons, I just feel like there's a better chance they find some other RB to sprinkle in. 

5.) This one's tough. You have some RBs who'd be in some form of a timeshare (Dobbins, J Williams, Wilkins, Lindsay, Akers, etc.), then you have guys like Duke Johnson and Gio Bernard who you figure would get 90% of the snaps but just aren't all that exciting. I think because of the offense looking much better this year and his familiarity with it I'd probably go J Williams, but it's really close. 

If you factor in likelihood of injury to the starter Pollard immediately drops to 4, Zeke just does not get hurt. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL