DeliciousGravy

Roster Construction From Late Position

(All my posts are on the assumption that you are in a 0.5PPR league QB/2RB/2WR/Flex/TE/6BN - adjust as appropriate)

Having scored pick #11 (again) this year, I find myself picking in rounds 1/2 based on who I think will be there available at the 3/4 and 5/6 turns. I think this is the correct approach rather than BPA as it tries to take into account strengths in the "talent pool" and not overly-drafting positions to complete a starting lineup.

In looking at a 0.5PPR draft, I am very confident the following eight players will be drafted in the top 10 (in no particular order): McCaffrey, Barkley, Elliott, Kamara, Cook, Thomas, Edwards-Helaire, Henry. Positions 9 and 10 therefore would consider the last four "elite" WR's (Adams, Jones, Hopkins, Hill) and RB's from the next tier (Mixon, Sanders, Drake, Chubb, Jacobs).

From 11, I suspect that Mixon and perhaps Adams would be the next two best players available, leaving the choice between RB/RB, RB/WR or WR/WR starts (I haven't considered a TE start in this scenario). The boldest of these I think is the WR/WR start; if 9 and 10 draft RB and Adams is available at 11, you're guaranteed one of Julio/Hopkins/Hill on the way back but then are at the mercy of which RB's are available at the 3/4 turn.

So for those who know their draft spots and are stuck at the back like me - what do your opening picks look like, and who do you think is realistically available at the 3/4 turn (and  indeed the 5/6 turn) that you like? (For full disclosure, my league was dumped kickers for an additional Flex this year, slightly devaluing the TE and QB positions; there is the potential Jackson falls to late round 3 and I will aim to stack him with Andrews, therefore I am leaning RB/WR start for this reason).

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

who do you think is realistically available at the 3/4 turn (and  indeed the 5/6 turn) that you like?

Around the 3/4 turn I like the WRs much better than the RBs; aaround the 5/6 turn is more even. However, keep in mind there might be a run on RBs in your league (like what happened to me recently) and you may need to adjust this.

Keeping this in mind, I want at the very least 1 RB in the 1st/2nd round (in late position like you) but having 2 of them certainly doesn't hurt, as it allows you a bit more flexibility (weirldy enough) in the next rounds.

Edited by Boudewijn

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Around the 3/4 turn I like the WRs much better than the RBs; aaround the 5/6 turn is more even. However, keep in mind there might be a run on RBs in your league (like what happened to me recently) and you may need to adjust this.

Keeping this in mind, I want at the very least 1 RB in the 1st/2nd round (in late position like you) but having 2 of them certainly doesn't hurt, as it allows you a bit more flexibility (weirldy enough) in the next rounds.

This. I had the 9 of a 12-teamer, got Jacobs & Mixon. Figured I could get a solid 1-2 punch in the backfield right away & still get a legit WR1. When my 3rd pick came up Cooper, Woods, Kupp, Allen, Theilen were all there to choose from. The RB’s were less inspiring

• Like 2

I still like going RB/RB pretty much anywhere in the 1st/2nd rounds 

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

I agree with this especially in the back half.   If you can start off with any two of Sanders, Drake, and Mixon, I think you'll end up with 2 of the top 10 backs with a reasonable chance of having 2 of the top 4-6.  

• Like 1

Rbs - Mixon, Drake, Sanders

Wrs - Adams, Júlio, Hill

If you can get 2 of those backs I’d go with that otherwise one of the backs and one of the receivers

10 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

Rbs - Mixon, Drake, Sanders

Wrs - Adams, Júlio, Hill

If you can get 2 of those backs I’d go with that otherwise one of the backs and one of the receivers

I have #10 pick in a 10 team & was thinking of a similar strategy that you have above. Would be happy with Mixon & 1 of Drake or Sanders. Thoughts on CEH over Drake or Sanders?

7 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

This, especially in a .5PPR league...In a PPR I can see taking a stud WR instead of two RB

• Like 1

Load up on RB's first & foremost. WR can wait there's millions of them for the picking in the much later rounds. 

Thank you all for your replies so far. I have thrown out the idea of a WR/WR start as I am not convinced guys like Gurley or Connor will make it back to the 3/4 turn.

To that end, what's your dream pair of receivers that might make it back to those picks? I will be over the moon if I can get either Juju or Calvin Ridley at that spot.