Sign in to follow this  
jmcampbe11

Dylan Carlson 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Would definitely be a nice player to have when the Cardinals are playing doubleheaders every day for the last couple weeks of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Would definitely be a nice player to have when the Cardinals are playing doubleheaders every day for the last couple weeks of the season

 

Agreed, I just have a hard time seeing a path to regular ABs with O'Neil, Bader, Fowler, and Thomas on the roster. And the infield is pretty muddled too so I think he'd even be competing for DH ABs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

 

Agreed, I just have a hard time seeing a path to regular ABs with O'Neil, Bader, Fowler, and Thomas on the roster. And the infield is pretty muddled too so I think he'd even be competing for DH ABs. 

They are not calling him up to sit on the bench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

 

Agreed, I just have a hard time seeing a path to regular ABs with O'Neil, Bader, Fowler, and Thomas on the roster. And the infield is pretty muddled too so I think he'd even be competing for DH ABs. 

Yeah why find ABs for your top prospect when you have those world beaters in the OF.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the blurb I read on Yahoo, multiple Cards outfielders are among those who tested positive for Covid, and may not be available to play right away.  So at least at the outset, regular playing time should be available.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cards will have so many double headers in the near future that playing time shouldnt be an issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

cards will have so many double headers in the near future that playing time shouldnt be an issue.

7 inning games is one less at bat and surely he’ll be near the bottom of the order. No thanks

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryno1980 said:

7 inning games is one less at bat and surely he’ll be near the bottom of the order. No thanks

But it's potentially 14 innings worth of ABs in one "fantasy start".. therein lies the appeal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryno1980 said:

7 inning games is one less at bat and surely he’ll be near the bottom of the order. No thanks

 

why would he "surely" be near the bottom of the order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, axiom20XX said:

 

why would he "surely" be near the bottom of the order?

 

I'd like to know the answer to this question too. The Cards lineup isn't that good. It wouldn't totally surprise me if they slotting him in front of or behind Goldschmidt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, smeeze said:

But it's potentially 14 innings worth of ABs in one "fantasy start".. therein lies the appeal

 

I think we need to see how the double headers play out. I see your point, but I could also see them resting players quite a bit, especially since so many of the Cards OFs seem interchangeable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, smeeze said:

But it's potentially 14 innings worth of ABs in one "fantasy start".. therein lies the appeal


They have a lot of similar guys. They’re going to play that many doubleheaders that they’ll split them up a lot. They’re going to play a rookie both halves of a doubeleheader? I wouldn’t count on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ryno1980 said:


They have a lot of similar guys. They’re going to play that many doubleheaders that they’ll split them up a lot. They’re going to play a rookie both halves of a doubeleheader? I wouldn’t count on that.

Nope, hence the "potentially". If Carlson lights the world on fire, why would they sit him for the likes of Fowler, Bader, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, smeeze said:

But it's potentially 14 innings worth of ABs in one "fantasy start".. therein lies the appeal

Doesn't Yahoo count double-headers as two separate games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Doesn't Yahoo count double-headers as two separate games? 

Not sure what you're asking here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EmbargoLifted said:

In Yahoo's fantasy baseball platform you have a 60 game maximum for each position (in most leagues). 

If a player plays both games in a double header, I believe Yahoo's counts this as TWO games against your maximum.

I don't see what the benefit is of playing a player in a double header (you get TWO games of 7 innings which is one less AB per game) unless I'm missing something...?

I see what you're saying now. I don't play roto. But in H2H with daily moves, you can put a guy playing in a double header in and get all the stats for both games in one roster spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

 

Agreed, I just have a hard time seeing a path to regular ABs with O'Neil, Bader, Fowler, and Thomas on the roster. And the infield is pretty muddled too so I think he'd even be competing for DH ABs. 

How many of them are out indefinitely do to COVID?  I know Lane is for sure  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

How many of them are out indefinitely do to COVID?  I know Lane is for sure  


Just Lane Thomas. They’ve promised O’Neill a fair shot this year, and he was doing well enough to warrant starting most days at this point. I could actually see them kind of rotating Carlson with Fowler and Bader for those two spots, along with one of the above DHing here and there. They’re going to need some offense out of that outfield though, so I imagine whoever hits is going to play more. With competition being the still unproven O’Neill, and the annually disappointing Bader and Fowler, PT should be there if he hits.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Caelum said:


Just Lane Thomas. They’ve promised O’Neill a fair shot this year, and he was doing well enough to warrant starting most days at this point. I could actually see them kind of rotating Carlson with Fowler and Bader for those two spots, along with one of the above DHing here and there. They’re going to need some offense out of that outfield though, so I imagine whoever hits is going to play more. With competition being the still unproven O’Neill, and the annually disappointing Bader and Fowler, PT should be there if he hits.


He’s 34 and washed up but Matt Carpenter could eat a decent chunk of the PAs at DH, a majority even if he starts to hit. They’re paying Fowler almost $20 million a year to be a replacement level outfielder and he’s still a much better hitter than Bader. The more I look at it maybe Carlson will play more than anybody in this outfield.

Could be wrong but I don’t think he comes up and posts an 800-plus OPS and also this offense is unlikely to hit a stride for a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Doesn't Yahoo count double-headers as two separate games? 

Not an expert, but I always thought they counted as one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of you expecting him to rake from the gate ?

 

I don't know much about him and have fallen out of favor with Cardinals for fantasy purposes. Curious what expectations you guys realistically have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Any of you expecting him to rake from the gate ?

 

I don't know much about him and have fallen out of favor with Cardinals for fantasy purposes. Curious what expectations you guys realistically have.


Expecting? No. Hoping? Yes. What he has going for him is elite talent and enough power, speed and hitting tool to contribute in various ways, so even if one thing isn’t working right away he can still help you. As well, a lot of times when these types of players get called up it takes the league a couple months to scout out and start attacking their weaknesses consistently. They won’t have that this year, so that’s nice. 
 

the lineup in STL isn’t great but there’s enough there. Plus, since it’s not great, he’s likely to run more. I’m hoping for at least 1 HR and steal with some rbis and runs in the first week, with .250-.300 BA, but mostly I’m looking to see if his patient approach that he’s noted for translates to MLB pitching. 
 

And one other thing I know as a cubs fan is the cardinals know how to develop players. They consistently have so-so prospects come up to the bigs and make a difference. Even in years where they’ve been lacking on talent and/or star power, they find ways to win. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, aapox said:

And one other thing I know as a cubs fan is the cardinals know how to develop players. They consistently have so-so prospects come up to the bigs and make a difference. Even in years where they’ve been lacking on talent and/or star power, they find ways to win. 

I won't dispute they always find an older middle of the road prospect that out produces expectations in the bigs, but who was their last big prospect to actually turn out good?  Outside of Flaherty, a pitcher, we're looking at Piscotty, Wong, Adams?  Yeah they find older guys that make changes, but i'm not so sure they develop top talent.  Hope I'm wrong because I do have shares of Carlson.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.