Sign in to follow this  
jmcampbe11

Dylan Carlson 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

.167 BABIP

the hits will come

Everybody gets hits. He could post a .320 BABIP with average to above average exit velo numbers with a 28 percent K rate and hit .240 with a few homers and steals and be pretty irrelevant in fantasy. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Everybody gets hits. He could post a .320 BABIP with average to above average exit velo numbers with a 28 percent K rate and hit .240 with a few homers and steals and be pretty irrelevant in fantasy. 

lol he's 21

but your point is well taken.  he is pretty irrelevant in redraft.

Edited by crotchcrickets

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

lol he's 21

but your point is well taken.  he is pretty irrelevant in redraft.

Yeah I think he will be a pretty good player in a couple years, I’d probably even bet on top 50 hitter. Odds are just against the 21-year old basically making the jump from Double-A and being great out of the gate. 

2 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Yeah I think he will be a pretty good player in a couple years, I’d probably even bet on top 50 hitter. Odds are just against the 21-year old basically making the jump from Double-A and being great out of the gate. 

thought he looked alright his first couple games myself. 

I dropped him for Casey Mize this morning. No time to wait for the hits in this shortened season...

• Like 1

I snatched him up in large part for the double-headers.  And it was great seeing him in the #2 slot.  I hope he’s there again today.

19 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I snatched him up in large part for the double-headers.  And it was great seeing him in the #2 slot.  I hope he’s there again today.

Dropped to 7th tonight.

Good news! Carlson came to the plate with multiple runners on base and a run scored!

And the bad news. The run scored on Carlson hitting into a double play :(

Just now, Jub Jub said:

Good news! Carlson came to the plate with multiple runners on base and a run scored!

And the bad news. The run scored on Carlson hitting into a double play :(

Lol...how often do you get bags packed and nobody out in a season? He's had 3 in 2 days and he's 0/3 with 0 RBI. Brutal.

Posted (edited)

There’s a reason he was not in any reputable top 10 prospect list to start the season (the highest I think I saw him was 17). ETA and PT were the main fantasy drivers but the hype lost sight of that and got out of control. 

I think he was a sell high in dynasty (and indeed did just that) now he’s probably a hold since people will want to see a spark. 

Edited by cyberer
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

How long is everyone waiting for him to turn it around? 

I am sure everyone has someone on the wire they could use.

It seems to me that if a guy is called up and doesn't hit within the first 20-30 ABs he won't hit that season.  

I am probably out today unless he does something his last at bat.

Even Mike Trout is an example of this.

Luis Garcia this season doesn't seem to be having any problems his first 17 ABs.

I have found the best thing is to go with my gut and accept the fact I am going to be wrong sometimes.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

How long is everyone waiting for him to turn it around? 

I'm waiting through the week, but that's because I am dropping a reliever I don't need and the rest of my lineup is pretty stable so I can afford to. I think I've seen enough where I wouldn't fault anyone else for dropping him.

He's not driving the ball much, he looks 'slappy' at the plate and he's not taking advantage of important opportunities (3 bases loaded, nobody out in 2 games and he went force out, force out, GIDP). The steal was nice but it was borderline if the throw was better. I'm...not impressed, honestly. Whatever. #FtheCards

• Thanks 1

Putting in my claims...want to drop this guy so bad. Must. Resist. SSS. SSS. SSS. SSS vs. eye-test.

5 hours ago, B&F said:

I am sure everyone has someone on the wire they could use.

It seems to me that if a guy is called up and doesn't hit within the first 20-30 ABs he won't hit that season.  

Yeah I agree, this is usually the case. I can think of exceptions like Rhys Hoskins but in general it's probably how it goes. The problem with Carlson is that his swings have looked really bad. When he makes contact he makes decently good contact but there are way too many confused swings. 

• Like 1

I don't blame anyone for moving on in redraft, but a 25% k-rate isn't too bad considering his age.  The 2 walks leaves alot to be desired, but again he's getting a tad unlucky.

I personally wish these young switch-hitters would just stick to one side and get established in the majors.  That could be a solution to the hit problem.

• Like 1

Already debating dropping him for these young arms or a hot hitter..... XD

14 hours ago, marble_donut said:

Yeah I agree, this is usually the case. I can think of exceptions like Rhys Hoskins but in general it's probably how it goes. The problem with Carlson is that his swings have looked really bad. When he makes contact he makes decently good contact but there are way too many confused swings. 

Good analysis. I agree. Other than his 2nd game I haven't seen him confidently swinging and driving the ball much at all. 

• Like 1

I am tapping out.

Alec Bohm in 26 ABs

Season Team LG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
2020 PHI NL 8 26 4 8 11 3 0 0 3 5 0 6 0 0 .308 .419 .423 .842 1.40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, B&F said:

I am tapping out.

Alec Bohm in 26 ABs

Season Team LG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
2020 PHI NL 8 26 4 8 11 3 0 0 3 5 0 6 0 0 .308 .419 .423 .842 1.40

Me too man. It looks like we missed. He still looks like he has a great foundation, but hes just not there yet. He had another bases loaded, nobody out today and struck out 😕

Sticking with this kid til' the end. Both in redrafts and keepers (obviously). 

Had some serious bad luck in many of his ABs, still believe that this kid can eventually turn into a early rounder.

Dropskies for me.  I'll get back on board next year.

Was sent down to the alternate site for a bit. Came back up and started the nightcap and went 2-for-4 with a HR and 3 RBI. I'm hoping he just needed a breather and will have a nice finish to the season...something to build on for 2021. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Was sent down to the alternate site for a bit. Came back up and started the nightcap and went 2-for-4 with a HR and 3 RBI. I'm hoping he just needed a breather and will have a nice finish to the season...something to build on for 2021. 

yep. could be a nice addition to your team for playoffs in the week ahead. i'm all in.