burty1

Midseason List

With the lack of minor league game conditions and scouts not being able to evaluate as usual, what are the chances that various sites have an updated "Midseason Top 50/100" list as they would under normal circumstances?

4 hours ago, burty1 said:

With the lack of minor league game conditions and scouts not being able to evaluate as usual, what are the chances that various sites have an updated "Midseason Top 50/100" list as they would under normal circumstances?

Fantrax updated in July, haven’t seen any others.

10 minutes ago, Gobux1970 said:

Fantrax updated in July, haven’t seen any others.

That's the only fantasy leaning list I've seen that was updated with the FYPD guys. Any others I missed?

lots of prospects on the move yesterday.

any prospect list been updated lately?

Baseball Prospectus did a top 400 in July, but nothing since then. They did a top 500 Dynasty player update each month of the season, most recent one was start of September. That has a good amount of the top 100 prospect guys on it too so far as seeing how they move. Not sure if those are free content, or subscriber only though. 

Edit: Checked, its subscriber only. 

19 hours ago, Gobux1970 said:

End of season top 197 from prospects 1500. 

https://www.prospects1500.com/overall-top-197-prospects-october-2020/

Thanks though I wish these lists would recognize that a lot of those players on the list are up to stay.  What a bunch of wasted spots going to now and forever major leaguers.

Yeah I know the "rookie" definition but I never bought that for removing "prospects" from a list let alone in a season that should be pro rated for only having 60 games. 

Not making a "completed rookie" qualification should not mean players should end up called "prospects" the following year when it is clear they simply were called up later in the previous season especially just merely mid-season this season.  These guys are not some September call-ups for coffee players.

End of first yearly rant on stupid prospect lists filling up their lists with very obvious major league players.

I don't think any minor league list this year is going to mean much. They just take last years list and cull the guys who got called up or drop guys like Oneill Cruz who had his own situation. A year is a long time for everybody but to a 17-22 year old prospect it may be their main development year. They may get stronger taller faster better instincts or they may get slower fatter and lose their main value from their last year of evaluation. Hopefully the minor leagues play next year and allow us to actually have something to rank besides a year old snapshot of a year old season.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, brockpapersizer said:

That Kebryan Hayes and Randy Arrozena strike me as horrible.  Lot of bad rankings here. A lot of ones chalk normal too.

It just goes to show that these lists need to be taken with a grain of salt.  All the stats in the world can't measure heart or work ethic or changes a player is making or mental strength or growing baseball IQ etc etc.

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It just goes to show that these lists need to be taken with a grain of salt.  All the stats in the world can't measure heart or work ethic or changes a player is making or mental strength or growing baseball IQ etc etc.

I think a lot of lists are good, but some of Cross' rankings are unreasonable.  What someone does in the majors is worth a lot to me.  It's not like these guys were Aquino who was K-ing so much and was never a top 100 prospect.  Hayes in some publications was top 30 before.  Randy was 100 on many.  Once they come into the majors and display a lot of upside when they've always been touted and good in the minors, I'm willing to bump them up quickly.  Like Randy could be the ALCS MVP who will bat in the heart of a good lineup next year, you really have a more favorable outcome for 97 other guys, many of whom who are risky teenagers who are years away from the majors (a number of whom will never)? Give me a break.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I think a lot of lists are good, but some of Cross' rankings are unreasonable.  What someone does in the majors is worth a lot to me.  It's not like these guys were Aquino who was K-ing so much and was never a top 100 prospect.  Hayes in some publications was top 30 before.  Randy was 100 on many.  Once they come into the majors and display a lot of upside when they've always been touted and good in the minors, I'm willing to bump them up quickly.  Like Randy could be the ALCS MVP who will bat in the heart of a good lineup next year, you really have a more favorable outcome for 97 other guys, many of whom who are risky teenagers who are years away from the majors (a number of whom will never)? Give me a break.

Agree on Arozerena, I would put him in the top 30 based only on what he has done the last 2 months, small sample size aside.

The think I like about Cross is that he is super aggressive on young bats which can be extremely helpful when playing in leagues with more than 100 prospects. He was the one who was highest the earliest on Groshans, CJ Abrams, Robinson, Luciano, etc. 

i much prefer that to a few of the prospect writers who just seem to mimic other’s lists.

17 minutes ago, Gobux1970 said:

Agree on Arozerena, I would put him in the top 30 based only on what he has done the last 2 months, small sample size aside.

The think I like about Cross is that he is super aggressive on young bats which can be extremely helpful when playing in leagues with more than 100 prospects. He was the one who was highest the earliest on Groshans, CJ Abrams, Robinson, Luciano, etc. 

i much prefer that to a few of the prospect writers who just seem to mimic other’s lists.

Randy was good last year across 3 levels. Fangraphs gave him a 60 hit and 55 FV game power tool before this year even started. I'll admit, that I personally wasn't super high on Randy coming into this year, and there were guys who were, but I quickly changed my tune because I was plugged into the season.  For someone to watch this entire season and how the Rays treated him as the heart of their lineup hitter and to rank him at 97 or whatever is just ignoring baseball IMO.  I think he's mainly a list regurgitator/tinker and he has some glaring misranks that seem obvious to me at the time, like this one and Kebryan Hayes. 

I don't really agree with the notion that we was higher on those guys. He had Abrams #4 here  Not really outside where everyone else had him going into this draft.  Had Luciano #12 in the same spot for FYPD, I drafted him like 7th in my FYPD.  Of all the guys you mentioned, I don't believe he was first on any of them...and none of them have actually succeeded yet anyway.

https://www.fantraxhq.com/initial-2019-fypd-rankings-mlb-draft/

Edited by brockpapersizer

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Randy was good last year across 3 levels. Fangraphs gave him a 60 hit and 55 FV game power tool before this year even started. I'll admit, that I personally wasn't super high on Randy coming into this year, and there were guys who were, but I quickly changed my tune because I was plugged into the season.  For someone to watch this entire season and how the Rays treated him as the heart of their lineup hitter and to rank him at 97 or whatever is just ignoring baseball IMO.  I think he's mainly a list regurgitator/tinker and he has some glaring misranks that seem obvious to me at the time, like this one and Kebryan Hayes. 

I don't really agree with the notion that we was higher on those guys. He had Abrams #4 here  Not really outside where everyone else had him going into this draft.  Had Luciano #12 in the same spot for FYPD, I drafted him like 7th in my FYPD.  Of all the guys you mentioned, I don't believe he was first on any of them...and none of them have actually succeeded yet anyway.

https://www.fantraxhq.com/initial-2019-fypd-rankings-mlb-draft/

It’s possible that I don’t read all of the same guys you do (I use free sites other than The Athletic) but he definitely put me on those guys first. 

I trust his opinion on young hitters and I like that he doesn’t just seem to copy the list of others, just my opinion based on the guys that I’ve followed.

• Like 1