SvanE42

Tyler Boyd 2020 Outlook

AJ Green injury concerns already popping up and Joe Burrow is hopefully an immediate upgrade over last year's quarterback play based on his college resume. 

The Burrow / Jefferson connection has been cast upon Tyler Boyd so far in preseason, but the Bengals defense may be the bigger talking point. If the Bengals are constantly chasing games and in the occasional shootout, we can project Boyd for a similar amount of volume as last season out of the slot. 

Boyd is never necessarily an exciting pick but could be that consistent flex player that gets you through tough parts of your season. 

I’ve drafted Boyd in quite a few leagues the last couple of seasons but not feeling it given where he is being drafted this season. Yes Burrow is there but AJG, Higgins, Ross are also there at receiver. Should be solid enough but if you are going for that grab Crowder, Sanders, Tate likely a couple of rounds later

28 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

I’ve drafted Boyd in quite a few leagues the last couple of seasons but not feeling it given where he is being drafted this season. Yes Burrow is there but AJG, Higgins, Ross are also there at receiver. Should be solid enough but if you are going for that grab Crowder, Sanders, Tate likely a couple of rounds later

AJ Green is already injured. Why not?

Seems crazy people are out on boyd and he is 2 to 3 rounds cheaper than last year. Considering the offense boyd was in last year it was amazing he put up the numbers he did. With that being said I admit to not owning a lot of him as i tend to take higbee or ronald jones in the range where he goes and I hate I own no shares yet. Burrlow loved his slot wr at lsu and being worried about john ross is crazy since ross is a deep adot guy. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

AJ Green is already injured. Why not?

Already stated why not. Likely solid but you can get quite a few others for that a few rounds later. Just think what he did last year is pretty close to his ceiling. AJ Green may still not miss the opening game from what articles I’ve read so at this stage the precautions make sense given he missed all of last year.

Not sure where this 2-3 rounds later than last year is coming from. Was generally a 5th rd pick last year and most times going in the late 6th rd this year. Happy to take the aforementioned receivers a good 2 full rounds later. Quite a few other guys happy to take as well marginally later such as Cooks, Marquise etc or a flex rb 

Edited by Black_Panther

Sometimes last year i saw boyd going in the 4th and now in the late 6th early 7th. Tonight in an auction he went for 19 so i was out at that price. AT 9 i would have owned him.

• Like 1

I love Boyd in dynasty and even this year.

I'm pretty sure Bengals D is hot garbage, so they will be playing from behind a lot.

A healthy AJ Green will take opposing Ds attention, freeing up Boyd, injured AJG means probably more targets for Boyd.

Ross is already on Covid List because of his family, AJG and Higgins both reported harmstring issues. 

Are Uzomah and Sample going to take a big part of the target share? I don't think so .

If all 4 WR are available I think they will go with AJG, Boyd and Ross with Higgins playing only a backup role this year. 

Behind Ridley one of my favorite "Chris Godwin-type Breakout" this year.

tldr.: Give me Boyd out of the slot in PPR all year. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2020 at 11:11 AM, thebadferret said:

tldr.: Give me Boyd out of the slot in PPR all year. 

To drill down on my post from the other day, here is a nice article by DynastyNerds Vernon Meighan about why Boyd is the WR to own in CIN. Interesting comparison between Justin Jefferson and Boyd (the former and future slot receiver of Burrow). I know this is more in terms of dynasty or keeper value, but if you're a Boyd owner, you will feel really good after reading it :D 

dynastynerds.com/why-tyler-boyd-is-the-bengals-receiver-to-own/

Edited by thebadferret

On 8/18/2020 at 6:48 PM, Black_Panther said:

You'd rather Crowder, ESanders, and Tate a couple rounds later? I can't ride with you on that. Boyd has put up back-to-back 1000yd seasons and has caught 166 balls in those seasons. Sanders won't get enough volume and neither will Tate, if everyone remains healthy on their respective teams. Too many mouths to feed on both. Crowder had a decent season last year, but nothing special. I'd rather take the shot on Boyd with Burrow as his new QB. Jmho. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

You'd rather Crowder, ESanders, and Tate a couple rounds later? I can't ride with you on that. Boyd has put up back-to-back 1000yd seasons and has caught 166 balls in those seasons. Sanders won't get enough volume and neither will Tate, if everyone remains healthy on their respective teams. Too many mouths to feed on both. Crowder had a decent season last year, but nothing special. I'd rather take the shot on Boyd with Burrow as his new QB. Jmho. 

this guy ^ gets it 👏 

• Like 3

People kind of writing off Boyd because Aj Green is back, but even so AJG is still not all the way healthy. Missing practices/working off to the side etc etc. 

Sure there's more mouths to feed but Boyd's still the number 2 pass catching option(for now). There's a chance that Boyd ends up the number 1 option. I don't believe AJG is still the AJG we've all known and grown to love from years past, the nagging injuries, plus he's 32. The Bengals will be trailing a lot so they'll air it out which means more targets.

AJG will demand attention of the CB1, allowing Boyd to get loose! He did his thing last year against the opposing defenses top CB. This year he'll be facing the cb2, he's going to feast on them. 

Lastly, but most importantly I believe that Burrow understand that Boyd will be his wr1 of the future since AJ is more than likely gone after this season, so he will force feed him to build up that chemistry! Boyd will have another good year IMO 

This past weekend I drafted Boyd in the 6th rd. Back when Green was saying he wanted to finish out his career in Cincinnati & they wanted to work something out & nothing came of the trade talks/rumors, I thought Auden Tate would then become expendable & garner a good return for them. Tate’s 2019 tape is impressive. They signed Green to one year & they may not be that sure about him. Point being, at this stage of their careers I don’t think Tate would be a major drop off if Green’s season doesn’t come together. But the clip of interest  in that article above is the pick play. I saw that & I was like; ou, gravy! :) Hopefully that carries over & they run more stuff like that for him. Find more ways to run Tyler Boyd open please! ;”0 

Edited by markrc99

was up against this cat & the Fitz/Parker stack in 'chip week last year ... that 'Fins-Banglez tilt was magick foosball GOLD (for my opponent) ... man, was i bent the fudge over 🤢 (dood had Drake as well, who ripped an 80 yd TD run on first play vs SeaHags).

when a cat rough rides me like that with coin on the line, i pay massive attention, as in targeting in the subsequent draft ... lurvely WR2 fodder, methinks - i like the kid Burrow very much, he ain't gonna be bashful slingin' it, and ol' TB here is gonna cough up some nice pernts. 

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

This past weekend I drafted Boyd in the 6th rd. Back when Green was saying he wanted to finish out his career in Cincinnati & they wanted to work something out & nothing came of the trade talks/rumors, I thought Auden Tate would then become expendable & garner a good return for them. Tate’s 2019 tape is impressive. They signed Green to one year & they may not be that sure about him. Point being, at this stage of their careers I don’t think Tate would be a major drop off if Green’s season doesn’t come together. But the clip of interest  in that article above is the pick play. I saw that & I was like; ou, gravy! :) Hopefully that carries over & they run more stuff like that for him. Find more ways to run Tyler Boyd open please! ;”0 

Tate’s 2019 tape was awful, in my opinion. He’s one of the worst athletes in the league and runs like he’s dragging a parachute. He has some nice spectacular catches though, but that’s because mostly because he is so physically limited that spectacular catches are literally the only chance he has of making an NFL reception. He really makes the easy look difficult.

• Like 1

Let the fools grab ajg, we will ride to glory fellas, Burrow has found his safety net

• Like 1

I’m sky high on him this year someone Im trying to get on every team. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, affliction said:

I’m sky high on him this year someone Im trying to get on every team. 

Same.  Boyd has been productive last 2 seasons.  Only 25 years old and AJ Green already hurt.  IMO, an upgrade at QB from last season.  Best part his ADP is currently in the late 6th/early 7th, so you can get him as your WR3 or even WR4 depending on the beginning of your draft.  Being drafted as WR32, he finished as the WR22 and WR15 last 2 seasons, so ADP seems like a steal.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 12:14 PM, MJJ28 said:

Tate’s 2019 tape was awful, in my opinion. He’s one of the worst athletes in the league and runs like he’s dragging a parachute. He has some nice spectacular catches though, but that’s because mostly because he is so physically limited that spectacular catches are literally the only chance he has of making an NFL reception. He really makes the easy look difficult.

i liked this just because "runs like he's dragging a parachute" is a wonderfully insulting way to describe a pro athlete. 

9 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

Same.  Boyd has been productive last 2 seasons.  Only 25 years old and AJ Green already hurt.  IMO, an upgrade at QB from last season.  Best part his ADP is currently in the late 6th/early 7th, so you can get him as your WR3 or even WR4 depending on the beginning of your draft.  Being drafted as WR32, he finished as the WR22 and WR15 last 2 seasons, so ADP seems like a steal.

Yeah it’s crazy. Im seeing a lot of value late at WR 

• Like 1

Rolling him as my WR2 (went super heavy with RBs early - hopefully not a mistake).

LETS GO.

• Like 1

Boyd might be the most boring guy to draft but he is going to be super reliable. Burrow is going to be a huge upgrade over Dalton/Finley from last year. AJ Green is made of glass. Boyd had 148 targets last year lol. Justin Jefferson killed it in the slot with Burrow. What's not to like?

• Like 3

Boyd + the RB’s will be Burrow’s safety valve. I’m in like flynn