SvanE42

Tyler Boyd 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

 

The reason he's getting all the production now is because AJ has been drawing the good coverage....and it has been good. If AJ was out these three weeks people would be down on Boyd just as they are AJ now.

Exactly. Been a Boyd owner three years and AJ makes a big difference. His targets were way up last year, but his catch percentage was way down. His rate is back up again. I think AJ has a lot to do with it as well as having a more accurate passer in Burrow. People thinking AJ is bad for him are crazy. AJ out means when they play better secondaries Boyd will get the attention. Anybody who experienced the ride last year know that’s not a good thing.

Edited by FitzMagic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

 

The reason he's getting all the production now is because AJ has been drawing the good coverage....and it has been good. If AJ was out these three weeks people would be down on Boyd just as they are AJ now.


I don’t understand this line of thinking? How did Boyd do without AJG last year? Received targets and caught 90 balls. Yeah, his catch percentage went down, but I attribute that to pitiful QB play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:


I don’t understand this line of thinking? How did Boyd do without AJG last year? Received targets and caught 90 balls. Yeah, his catch percentage went down, but I attribute that to pitiful QB play. 

Same QB both years prior. The X factor was Green. Boyd’s overall numbers were solid, but week to week it was downright unpredictable for a supposedly “safe “floor”. His duds cost a lot of people last year. His bad games were really bad and they were plentiful. So much so that people had to sit him and miss a lot of his actual big games.

Edited by FitzMagic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been able to watch CIN since week 1 - but man, their game against CLE, Burrow looked great for his first NFL game. I think a lot of his problems have been poor OL play, and a failure to protect him and give him time. And that's going to trickle out to all the pass catchers. But based only on what I saw from this kid in that game, I don't think he's inherently the problem. Tough enough being a rookie QB in this league, but when you're getting hurried all the time on top of ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:


I don’t understand this line of thinking? How did Boyd do without AJG last year? Received targets and caught 90 balls. Yeah, his catch percentage went down, but I attribute that to pitiful QB play. 

 

I don't know any other way to put it. We aren't talking last year. This year they have the same amount of targets right now. This year Boyd is more productive with them because AJ draws the shut down corners. If AJ was out the first three games this year, Boyd gets more targets but his efficiency goes down as he would've drawn the shut down corners AJ has been facing. I'm not saying Boyd would be bad. I'm saying he wouldn't be as amazing as many assume he'd be if AJ was out. 

 

Volume uptick - lower efficiency = Slightly better/ same production.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FitzMagic said:

Same QB both years prior. The X factor was Green. Boyd’s overall numbers were solid, but week to week it was downright unpredictable for a supposedly “safe “floor”. His duds cost a lot of people last year. His bad games were really bad.

Right take the Jax game...he had Ramsey on him, if it were this year and Ramsey was still on Jax he'd be on Green and not Boyd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Same QB both years prior. The X factor was Green. Boyd’s overall numbers were solid, but week to week it was downright unpredictable for a supposedly “safe “floor”. His duds cost a lot of people last year. His bad games were really bad and they were plentiful. So much so that people had to sit him and miss a lot of his actual big games.


Wasn’t the same QB...it was the worst version of Dalton we’d seen, bad enough to get benched for Finley. The bigger point to me is with Burrow, I don’t believe Green is nearly as important, especially an obviously sluggish Green. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

 

I don't know any other way to put it. We aren't talking last year. This year they have the same amount of targets right now. This year Boyd is more productive with them because AJ draws the shut down corners. If AJ was out the first three games this year, Boyd gets more targets but his efficiency goes down as he would've drawn the shut down corners AJ has been facing. I'm not saying Boyd would be bad. I'm saying he wouldn't be as amazing as many assume he'd be if AJ was out. 

 

Volume uptick - lower efficiency = Slightly better/ same production.


I don’t know any other way to put this...this whole discussion has everything to do previous years. To suggest it doesn’t is disingenuous. You said his production and efficiency has to do with Green taking coverage, so it only makes sense to point out last year when there was no Green. So yes, by bringing up that point, you are talking last year. Secondly, the corners that Green faces on the outside aren’t going to line up inside on a slot very often. Sometimes, yes. But if Green were out these three games, I don’t think you would have seen Heyward, Ward, and Slay blanketing Boyd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jeremyt7 said:

Been getting targeted but man the lack of red zone targets is concerning. They don't look to him much around there, tee freaking higgins got 2 td's. Given they were both gimme's. But would like to see the Offensive coordinator place Boyd in this easy positions too. Give my guy a slant in the RZ too please. 

I mean, he did get a end zone target and TD from it, in the Week 2 game. Plus there was another end zone target he dropped in the same game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heizz said:

How do we see Tee Higgins effecting Boyd moving forward? Any worry?

Higgins would only affect AJ. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higgins and Auden Tate can play the outside. Let Boyd feast in the slot.

It's a different situation than last year & AJ Green is washed up.

+ Burrow is in town, the dynamic changes from the Dalton days. 

And that is true .. most elite corners don't shadow to the slot. 

Tyler Boyd isn't effected as much by coverage schemes   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 10:33 PM, cgu112 said:


Green is significantly more talented. He’s the #1 option- by far at this point. Green had like 7 targets before Boyd got his first. One game I know but noteworthy.

And most importantly, Green gets all the HIGH VALUE targets- deep bombs and end zone looks. 10 boyd targets are equivalent to like 4 or 5 for Green. Boyd is good and will have value, but AJG all day. 

🧐🧐🧐🧐😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jetdog16 said:

Bengals will run a bunch and when Burrow drops back he will be looking for Green. Boyd will have some nice games but he's more of a flex this year. Definitely shouldn't have been drafted before AJ

 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, affliction said:

Week 1.........

 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:39 PM, Jetdog16 said:

You're right. Let's check back later in the year when Green is still the All-Pro, No.1 target on the team. 

 

On 9/15/2020 at 6:45 PM, affliction said:

*Bookmarked*
 

 I love the week 1 prophets 

🧐😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL. It was his first week with his new ROOKIE QB....and he still put up 7 PPR Points...

Since then?

- 20 PPR Points (Week 2)

- 22 PPR Points (Week 3)

- 18  PPR Points (Week 4)

 

In the past 2 years, you've gotta try pretty hard to find a game where he didn't at least put up 7 PPR points, and that's what I love about him.

His floor is always a solid 7-8 PPR point at most, but his ceiling is easily 20-25 points.

The key is, he's never going to throw up a 1-8-0 stat line.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AJ Green for commanding attention off your name and allowing boyd to become the WR1 he was destined to be!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 12:12 AM, LongBalls said:

Pretty sure Green will not get 10+ targets very often.

 

and you were correct!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

LOL. It was his first week with his new ROOKIE QB....and he still put up 7 PPR Points...

Since then?

- 20 PPR Points (Week 2)

- 22 PPR Points (Week 3)

- 18  PPR Points (Week 4)

 

In the past 2 years, you've gotta try pretty hard to find a game where he didn't at least put up 7 PPR points, and that's what I love about him.

His floor is always a solid 7-8 PPR point at most, but his ceiling is easily 20-25 points.

The key is, he's never going to throw up a 1-8-0 stat line.

The Green Groupies have left the thread 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, affliction said:

The Green Groupies have left the thread 

 

They aren't even in their own thread...awol just like Green's production

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gidddy the F up !!

Targetsssss baby , keep em coming.

And he had a random rush attempt today, you love to see it.

Since the week 1 clasterfack.

Week 2:  7 for 8       72 yards

Week 3:  10 for 13   125 yards

Week 4:  7 for 8       90 yards 

Good times

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coulda had a ~20? Yd TD as well - got called back due to a hold call on the line

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

[...] him and burrows will only keep building chemistry. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, affliction said:

🧐🧐🧐🧐😂


way way way off lmao.  I mean I didnt foresee ajg being completely washed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, affliction said:

 

 

 

🧐😂

Trash bag take on my part 🤡 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 9/29/2020 at 10:01 AM, Heizz said:

How do we see Tee Higgins effecting Boyd moving forward? Any worry?

You mean other than showing he's a legit threat and making sure Boyd doesn't see double coverage?  Higgins emerging is great for Boyd with Green looking washed.

Edited by humanpuck
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...