The G Man

Chase Edmonds 2020 Outlook

This is the shot him and fantasy owners have been waiting for. He’s gotta prove it though.  If he plays well he will take the job, maybe long term with Drake as a FA after the year. 

let’s see if he can be “the guy”. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

This is the shot him and fantasy owners have been waiting for. He’s gotta prove it though.  If he plays well he will take the job, maybe long term with Drake as a FA after the year. 

let’s see if he can be “the guy”. 

I really think the role he was in was probably his optimal role. A sort of high-ish end COP back. I'm interested to see if he's got more though for sure.

• Like 1

This is his chance to secure a nice payday. The guy oozes confidence and swag, and looks extremely hard to bring down when they get him in space.  I think he’s gonna blow up. Just a feeling, I remember when DJ got his chance in AZ after flashing in limited time all year and this feels eerily familiar.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Who do you think is going to be that bigger back in Arizona?

I think AZ will try to replace Drake's production by giving Edmonds a few more touches, using Eno Benjamin in a support/banger role, and signing a practice squad or street free agent.  Lamar Miller or Alex Collins are two possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully he can figure it out as a runner because he has been damn good as a pass catcher. It's not a stretch to say he can put up top 5 production without Drake considering he is putting up legit RB2 numbers as a COP back.

It is funny that Arizona might sign a street free agent for depth after their starter got hurt and will be out for several weeks?

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It is funny that Arizona might sign a street free agent for depth after their starter got hurt and will be out for several weeks?

Where are you hearing this? I see you keep pushing this narrative in a bunch of these threads. 

• Thanks 1

Not understanding why people are saying he is best suited for COP role.  When Drake went down, wasn't Edmonds "the guy"?  Didn't he look like he was shot out of a cannon every time he touched the ball?  Didn't he gain chunks of yardage?  Wasn't he electric in the passing game?  Didn't he house one of his touches?  What's not to like here?  Why are people  continuing to say he can't be "the guy" when Kliff himself earlier this season said that Edmonds was a "starting RB in this league"?  I'm confused.

• Like 2

I am not pushing a narrative.  NFL teams generally replace players who get injured.  They do not leave empty roster spots.  All existing players probably move up one spot, and the new guy comes in more like an emergency option.

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Not understanding why people are saying he is best suited for COP role.  When Drake went down, wasn't Edmonds "the guy"?  Didn't he look like he was shot out of a cannon every time he touched the ball?  Didn't he gain chunks of yardage?  Wasn't he electric in the passing game?  Didn't he house one of his touches?  What's not to like here?  Why are people  continuing to say he can't be "the guy" when Kliff himself earlier this season said that Edmonds was a "starting RB in this league"?  I'm confused.

Edmonds was "the guy" for one game last season.  So he is unproven if the question is:  "Can Chase Edmonds hold up to the pounding associated with being a lead back in the NFL for an extended period?"

And this just in: sometimes coaches compliment their own players in the media for reasons of their own.  Those statements are generally so unreliable that an entire phrase was invented to describe such puffery.

Coachspeak.

So let me ask you this--if Arizona thought Chase could be their primary ball carrier, why would they have bothered to sign Drake to a one-year deal at all?

19 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Edmonds was "the guy" for one game last season.  So he is unproven if the question is:  "Can Chase Edmonds hold up to the pounding associated with being a lead back in the NFL for an extended period?"

And this just in: sometimes coaches compliment their own players in the media for reasons of their own.  Those statements are generally so unreliable that an entire phrase was invented to describe such puffery.

Coachspeak.

So let me ask you this--if Arizona thought Chase could be their primary ball carrier, why would they have bothered to sign Drake to a one-year deal at all?

Might be because he’s a solid back. Got him for one year. Backfield Depth. Not sure it would have been wise for them to come into the year with essentially just Chase and Eno. 

4 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Might be because he’s a solid back. Got him for one year. Backfield Depth. Not sure it would have been wise for them to come into the year with essentially just Chase and Eno. 

"Backfield depth" doesn't apply to starters.

8 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Maybe you are correct.  Maybe Edmonds will shine a be an RB1 for the next few weeks while Drake is on the mend.  That would actually be excellent for my fantasy team.

But it seems to me that the AZ CS likes Edmonds in his current role as mostly a passing down and open space back.  I hope I am wrong, I really do.

2 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

"Backfield depth" doesn't apply to starters.

It makes your depth at that particular position deeper. Depth 

Just now, Bugs bunny said:

It makes your depth at that particular position deeper. Depth 

Again, "depth" doesn't apply to starters.  

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Maybe you are correct.  Maybe Edmonds will shine a be an RB1 for the next few weeks while Drake is on the mend.  That would actually be excellent for my fantasy team.

But it seems to me that the AZ CS likes Edmonds in his current role as mostly a passing down and open space back.  I hope I am wrong, I really do.

I agree with this particular point. They most likely do prefer to keep him as a passing down back. That doesn’t mean he can’t hold down the fort for a few weeks though. Seems to me he’s more than capable. 

Just now, wekko368 said:

Again, "depth" doesn't apply to starters.  

I’m not referring to starters. I’m referring to the overall depth at their RB position. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bugs bunny said:

I agree with this particular point. They most likely do prefer to keep him as a passing down back. That doesn’t mean he can’t hold down the fort for a few weeks though. Seems to me he’s more than capable. 

Just because he's a great passing down back doesn't mean he'd be an effective early down back.  Look at Drake.

1 minute ago, Bugs bunny said:

I’m not referring to starters. I’m referring to the overall depth at their RB position. 

You were referring to Drake, weren't you?  

2 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

You were referring to Drake, weren't you?  

Lol. Ok I’ll put it this way. Going into the year with Drake, Edmonds and Eno is a deeper RB depth chart (3 solid guys) compared to if they started the year with just Edmonds and Eno(2 guys). So yes I am referring to the signing of Drake to a one year deal gives them more depth at the RB position. 3 guys compared to 2. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a "banger" back is signed or traded for cheaply.  (If Adrian Peterson were available that would fit like a glove.)  I've said several pages ago that I'd give Edmonds the feature role if I ran the franchise but I don't think Arizona thinks of Edmonds that way.  I'd expect them to give Edmonds more run than he was getting pre-Drake injury but I think they want a more traditional 1st/2nd/GL back on the roster.  I doubt that's Eno Benjamin, although they might try that.  

I wonder if Frank Gore would be available.  Every coach would love to have Frank Gore and he'd be a great guy to have on your roster because of his amazing pass pro.  He's still serviceable and he'd have to be dirt cheap in trade, I would think.  Of course the Jets probably aren't smart enough to try to get something for a 52 year-old running back when they're trying to go 0-16.

• Like 1

sit back and enjoy the ride all, its EdmondsSZN. No need to overanalyze this situation!

Edited by kdpat15
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a "banger" back is signed or traded for cheaply.  (If Adrian Peterson were available that would fit like a glove.)  I've said several pages ago that I'd give Edmonds the feature role if I ran the franchise but I don't think Arizona thinks of Edmonds that way.  I'd expect them to give Edmonds more run than he was getting pre-Drake injury but I think they want a more traditional 1st/2nd/GL back on the roster.  I doubt that's Eno Benjamin, although they might try that.  

I wonder if Frank Gore would be available.  Every coach would love to have Frank Gore and he'd be a great guy to have on your roster because of his amazing pass pro.  He's still serviceable and he'd have to be dirt cheap in trade, I would think.  Of course the Jets probably aren't smart enough to try to get something for a 52 year-old running back when they're trying to go 0-16.

If they traded Frank Gore, who could Gase rely on to run every single play exactly as called, execute the plan flawlessly, finish with 44 yards on 15 carries, and the team loses by 30?

If AZ added no one at all, that is probably best case for Edmonds.  If they added Gore and no one else, that would be a pretty close second.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

His role won't change much.

Eno Benjamin on 1st and 2nd downs and chase on 3rd downs.

They don't want brittle bone chase carrying a heavy load.

Sallllty.  Should have done the smart thing and stashed him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1