The G Man

Chase Edmonds 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Alexander Mattison, Latavius Murray, Tony Pollard 

Hard to argue with this. Edmonds is being billed as having more standalone value than them but the question is, is it enough to confidently start him in even the perfect matchup 

12 minutes ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

Hard to argue with this. Edmonds is being billed as having more standalone value than them but the question is, is it enough to confidently start him in even the perfect matchup 

Ehhh it’s all a fantasy, no pun intended. Over a decade of doing this & maybe 5% of the time has a handcuff rarely worked out. Matters not if you have the starter or not, total crapshoot and pure luck. 

Under no circumstances would I start Edmonds if Drake is healthy. Will there be a game or two, where Chase and Drake both go off ? Yeah I’m sure

But good luck figuring out which games to start him. 

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 6

From what admittedly little we've seen, this is a one back offense.  The others will get the typical handful. There is realistically no standalone value.  No one should be excited about an expected 10 or so touches.  Unless he somehow takes the job from Drake, he's no more than a major handcuff, maybe best in the league.  I consider Edmonds one of the top handcuffs, who will never be in fantasy lineups under normal circumstances. 

50 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Ehhh it’s all a fantasy, no pun intended. Over a decade of doing this & maybe 5% of the time has a handcuff rarely worked out. Matters not if you have the starter or not, total crapshoot and pure luck. 

Under no circumstances would I start Edmonds if Drake is healthy. Will there be a game or two, where Chase and Drake both go off ? Yeah I’m sure

But good luck figuring out which games to start him. 

I'm in my 5th decade of doing this, and I agree.

• Like 2

Is it just me or do a lot of those highlights seem like slow developing, draw-type plays where the blocking is largely set up?  Didn't see a lot of shifty moves or tackle breaking, just mostly slow developing flow behind the linemen/blocker type plays.

5'9" / 205 lbs, reminded me very vaguely of a slow MJD without the more aggressive running style.  Maybe it's just limited NFL gametape on him.  I should check his college highlights.  Only ran a 4.55 at the Combine, his lack of open-field breakaway speed is glaringly noticeable.

Watching those plays on the Chest Edmonds highlight reel was like watching Jahvid Best highlights featuring the slowest RB on the team instead of an electric RB.

Chase "Everyone Is Faster Than Me" Edmonds is a workmanlike RB whose best NFL attribute is being able to walk into the endzone untouched on well-blocked plays. /hot-take

Kenyan Drake wins by virtue of being an NFL RB on this roster who doesn't look like he has cleats made of lead:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robrain said:

Is it just me or do a lot of those highlights seem like slow developing, draw-type plays where the blocking is largely set up?  Didn't see a lot of shifty moves or tackle breaking, just mostly slow developing flow behind the linemen/blocker type plays.

5'9" / 205 lbs, reminded me very vaguely of a slow MJD without the more aggressive running style.  Maybe it's just limited NFL gametape on him.  I should check his college highlights.  Only ran a 4.55 at the Combine, his lack of open-field breakaway speed is glaringly noticeable.

Watching those plays on the Chest Edmonds highlight reel was like watching Jahvid Best highlights featuring the slowest RB on the team instead of an electric RB.

Chase "Everyone Is Faster Than Me" Edmonds is a workmanlike RB whose best NFL attribute is being able to walk into the endzone untouched on well-blocked plays. /hot-take

Kenyan Drake wins by virtue of being an NFL RB on this roster who doesn't look like he has cleats made of lead:

So...I’m guessing you were out on Kareem Hunt as a rookie because he ran slower (4.62) than Edmonds? 

• Like 3

Just now, joshua18 said:

So...I’m guessing you were out on Kareem Hunt as a rookie because he ran slower (4.62) than Edmonds? 

I don't always hate slow RBs.  Maybe you've heard the legend of... Matt Asiata ???

"Do not be fooled by it's commonplace appearance...

Like so many things, it is not what is outside...

But what is inside that counts...

This is no ordinary back!

He once changed the course of a young man's life...

A young man who like this back, was more than what he seemed...

A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH.

Perhaps you would like to hear the tale?

It begins on a dark night..."

That was a long post not to answer my question about Kareem Hunt...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, back to Edmonds. Has already proven to have week winning upside (people forget he also had consecutive top-15 RB PPR weeks prior to his explosion in wk 7).  Anyone hating on his speed clearly hasn’t paid attention to his production...the same mistake many made with Kareem Hunt.

9 hours ago, Robrain said:

Edmonds has the same 40 time as Emmitt Smith, another guy good at running untouched to the end zone on well blocked plays.

Patience, reading your blocks, and using them properly is a huge skill. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Edmonds has the same 40 time as Emmitt Smith, another guy good at running untouched to the end zone on well blocked plays.

Patience, reading your blocks, and using them properly is a huge skill. 

Finally, analysis based on real football rather than on the underwear olympics.

• Haha 2

I drafted Edmonds cause I think drake will not make it through a full season wo getting injured or banged up - hoping Edmonds can give me a couple Rb2 starts over the season 

Edited by ukdesi
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Finally, analysis based on real football rather than on the underwear olympics.

But I wrote it in my underwear. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ukdesi said:

I drafted Edmonds cause I think drake will not make it through a full season wo getting injured or banged up - hoping Edmonds can give me a couple Rb2 starts over the season 

I’d be happy to have Kenyan Drake but it’s a scary bet to think he’d play 16 games for the first time in his career.

5 hours ago, ukdesi said:

I don't think Edmonds has much value as long as Drake is healthy but I think there's a possibility that if Drake gets hurt Edmonds puts up RB1 numbers. Small sample size but he seems to fit that AZ offense really well. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

I’d be happy to have Kenyan Drake but it’s a scary bet to think he’d play 16 games for the first time in his career.

I agree.

Edmonds is pretty cheap though - I got him in 10 after taking Drake at 2.  At that point in the draft, there's a lot of guys I like to take flyers on that should be available late, so I don't mind using a 10th on insurance.  I think you can count on at least 75% production if Drake goes down and you have to replace with Edmonds.

The only other cuff situations with that much clarity are Dallas, Minnesota, Cleveland, New Orleans, and... that might be it.

For Dallas, Minnesota, and New Orleans, the lead back is going much higher than Drake (who goes top-mid 2nd), so you're probably not choosing between them and Drake.

You might face a choice between Chubb and Drake.  Chubb is the more proven back, with little to no health concerns, but splits with his #2.  Not only are you facing less certain usage there, but if you want to guarantee a hold on the Cleveland backfield you're going to have to use a 6th or 7th on Hunt after taking Chubb in the first or 2nd.

I'm not generally someone who bothers cuffing, but those are the teams/players/situations I make an exception for.

Don't sleep on Eno Benjamin. He's billed as a good receiving back will likely have a role if something happens to Drake.

17 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Don't sleep on Eno Benjamin. He's billed as a good receiving back will likely have a role if something happens to Drake.

Not fantasy football related but in light of the new netflix series "cobra kai" I would like to commend you on your icon of johnny lawrence. No mercy!

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2020 at 8:24 AM, ukdesi said:

Yup, this is pretty much the whole thread in a nutshell. He's a pretty clear-cut backup for a guy who seems to get injured a fair bit, and has already shown he can take an opportunity. And you get him for basically nothing. If you draft Drake then you probably need him, at the very least until we know Drake is good to go week one. If someone on the wire blows up and Edmonds is your last guy then you wouldn't shed too many tears dropping him.

• Like 1

Snagged him in the 14th round of my 10-team PPR draft today.  I also drafted Drake, so I wanted the insurance policy.  He had great numbers in limited touches last season so I think he should be handcuffed for those who are Drake owners.  I felt like he was a more attractive option than handcuffing my CEH pick because Edmonds has actually shown he could be valuable if given an extended role.

• Like 1

i missed this guy handcuffing sanders with scott. feeling nervous now cause it does seem inevitable for a drake injury at least missing 1-2 games this year. 

what are we looking at as far as usage with Edmunds while Drake is still operational?

Bloody Hell, that was a scary bump. Literally just dropped him to take a punt on Bryan Edwards. Thought that Drake had gone down again.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dave.zavala89 said:

what are we looking at as far as usage with Edmunds while Drake is still operational?

Think I read somewhere that RBs behind Drake only got less than 4 carries a game.

So he's basically a high end handcuff, just like Tony Pollard, Alex Mattison, etc.  I'm not sure if he has standalone flex value.

"But, Arizona runs the ball a lot and this guy would be a LEAGUE WINNER if Drake were to go down!"  Yes, but that's true for all of these handcuffs, no?  

I think Boston Scott and Darrel Williams offer at least flex value while also possibly being LEAGUE WINNERS if the starter would go down.

• Thanks 1