Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

Sixto Sanchez 2020 Outlook

Just watched his start. This guy is built like a linebacker. Deceptive arm slot. Not unhittable  but works ahead and attacks. Nasty slider with big break that he used a lot against lefties. Could definitely be solid for fantasy right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryno1980 said:

Just watched his start. This guy is built like a linebacker. Deceptive arm slot. Not unhittable  but works ahead and attacks. Nasty slider with big break that he used a lot against lefties. Could definitely be solid for fantasy right now. 

tough 1st start matchup, hoping the bullpen holds up so he gets a win

18 minutes ago, exaulz said:

he throws some smoke for sure with late movement to add!

Not the flashy debut like McKenzie, but still looks like he pitched a solid 5 innings for his debut.  He could have easily went 6, which obviously would have helped make it look a bit better.

Given how poor some of the high profile pitching prospects have looked initially so far this season, I guess you just have to be excited that he's up now and that things went alright.

\

14 hours ago, cdd10 said:

he throws some smoke for sure with late movement to add!

Yep. He throws harder than McKenzie and has movement. I'm wondering if McKenzie is going to get tattooed eventually because I just didn't see a lot of movement on his fastball. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 9:09 PM, ryno1980 said:

He’s an immediate SP3 with long term SP2 upside. 

His change up was doing work, and his fastball appeared to have some good movement on it and velocity (100). 

On 8/27/2020 at 4:38 AM, steve9347 said:

He’s an immediate SP3 with long term SP2 upside. 

What keeps you from saying SP1 upside? That's where I would put his ceiling. In a year or two he could very well be a great stuff/great command guy, and that combination is fairly rare. ****, good stuff/good command is pretty damn rare these days.

• Like 1

This guy can ball. I know it's been a SS but watching him pitch is truly enjoyable thus far. He absolutely mowed the solid Rays offense today. Pumping fastballs, wiping out with changeup, slider when needed. oomph.

My buddy said Sixto reminds him of a young Felix (Hernandez) - great comparison imo.

• Like 1

That changeup was filthy yesterday.  Kid makes it look pretty effortless to throw that much gas.

• Like 1

For those, like me, who didn't get to watch this game....  He was great.  His one walk wasn't even a walk, as the whole ball was in the strike zone on "ball 4", and he technically struck out 11, as the ump missed the same pitch again in the 7th....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If he develops a killer instinct he could be a superstar. 

that said his arm slot (specifically how slow his arm seems to take through his motion) could be an issue with durability

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

For those, like me, who didn't get to watch this game....  He was great.  His one walk wasn't even a walk, as the whole ball was in the strike zone on "ball 4", and he technically struck out 11, as the ump missed the same pitch again in the 7th....

He was being pinched bad on the inner half vs lefties. probably cost him a couple of k's and definitely a walk. This guy has one of my favorite arms in baseball.

19 hours ago, Smallball said:

If he develops a killer instinct he could be a superstar. 

that said his arm slot (specifically how slow his arm seems to take through his motion) could be an issue with durability

And he's had a history of issues. Electric stuff though so as long as he's healthy, he's gonna be a good one

Another beaut for Senor SixTo-Midnight. 1 BB (which was not) in first 3 starts, I knew the command/control was very advanced, but he is just filling up the edges of all quadrants. This is pretty close to the ace level starter kit, not much to nitpick...he will just have to make adjustments as the league does.

• Like 2

I remember JoFer’s rookie season in 2013. We’re always looking for the “next [insert SP name]” and it seems ironic that the one who reminds me of JoFer is also a Marlins SP.

I’m not saying that Sixto will be as good as Jose; their pitch mixes are different. But I just think this guy’s stuff is so electric to go with solid command that the ceiling is just sky high just like JF.

He has 3 pitches that have ridiculous movement. That changeup to go with his high 90s fastball is unfair. If he stays healthy I think he can very easily be a top 5 SP

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 3

25 Ks and 2 BBs in his first 5 starts. I’m beginning to develop a serious fantasy crush on this guy.

Someone talk me into what’s not to like about him, because I’m not seeing it and I’m worried I’m might start overvaluing him. The ceiling is just so ridiculously sky high and he is showing outstanding command of his elite stuff.

• Like 2

[...]

I dont see any issues. His slider is a tad inconsistent. A 96mph sinker? Geez. When you throw 4 straight changeups and the guy strikes out... yeah, I'd say it's a good pitch. 

All 3 of his "offspeed" pitches are plus, can* be thrown 90+. His fastball sits 98 to 100. He has just two walks in 4 starts, and one of them  was a blown call. 

The Felix comp is a very good one and he could be a top 5 pitcher very quickly if he can refine that bender. That is not an exaggeration 

[...]

That good

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

He was the main piece of the Realmuto deal... An all star catcher. When you have a guy who touches 100 and he begins to throw backwards, successfully, after giving up 2 home runs off it(FB) in debut... This should tell you something.