paulwall29

Jerick McKinnon 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

I'm not gonna keep arguing about a round 15 flier lol. Yes, if there is an injury his value goes up. Same can be said about a lot of RBs. If I'm betting on an injury to a starting RB on a productive team I'd rather roster:

Chase Edmonds (Drake has never topped 170 carries, been durable in the NFL, missed time in college)

Tony Pollard (Zeke is pretty durable, but he'd likely be a low end RB1 if Zeke misses time)

Darrynton Evans (Henry is coming off a 300 carry season)

Latavius Murray (More expensive than others but immediate RB1 if Kamara goes down, Kamara has missed some time)

Alexander Mattison (Cook has missed significant time during his career)

Stake your claim on McKinnon if you want though, I can see a world where he does well due to injury to others. I'd just personally take any of the above before him.

Everyone would take those guys over him, that's why you have to spend a higher pick on them. It's like comparing Ronald Jones and Ke'Shawn Vaughn as if their ADP's are irrelevant. 

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 1

I trust in KS's system for RB production. His RBs got 35+ touches most weeks despite a very low (<10%) target share. I believe he very much wants a dual-threat RB to maximize run-after-catch style and McKinnon's running skillset favored the same heavy-zone approach KS uses. Throw in the fact that McKinnon is free this year and the notable injuries for almost every other 49er receiver and I think JM will have, at minimum, 12-15 touch potential as the COP/3rd down back in an elite running offense. On the literal first day of free agency for his first year coaching the 9ers KS went out and got HIS guy because JM was such a perfect match for the system. They've kept him around, and now he's worth a look against Arizona. I trust the system and the risk-reward says he could be a huge breakout if things fall his way. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mahomet said:

I trust in KS's system for RB production. His RBs got 35+ touches most weeks despite a very low (<10%) target share. I believe he very much wants a dual-threat RB to maximize run-after-catch style and McKinnon's running skillset favored the same heavy-zone approach KS uses. Throw in the fact that McKinnon is free this year and the notable injuries for almost every other 49er receiver and I think JM will have, at minimum, 12-15 touch potential as the COP/3rd down back in an elite running offense. On the literal first day of free agency for his first year coaching the 9ers KS went out and got HIS guy because JM was such a perfect match for the system. They've kept him around, and now he's worth a look against Arizona. I trust the system and the risk-reward says he could be a huge breakout if things fall his way. 

agreed. comeback player of the year NOM

Going to keep a close eye on C.Thompson in game and if he doesn’t provide me flex value I will drop for him or Edmonds. Still trying to figure out  who. 

Edited by LAeagle

I'm willing to hold to see what happens week 1.  I have high hopes, and hopefully he's entrenched as the 3rd down/passing back, but we'll see.

Just remember what the consensus was on Mostert week 1 of last season. If you're looking for upside, 15 touches in high-value situations in this offense is it.

Im very high on McKinnon in this style offense with JimmyG as the short passing type QB and Shannahan finally able to use McKinnon the way we wanted too. I wont be surprised McKinnon shines..especially in PPR. get em now while you can. Will be a waiver wire gem 

• Like 1

I agree there is a path for this week of Coleman sits.  I don’t believe he gets 15 touches on weeks when Coleman plays. Is there full season value here?  I know he is a “free” player but what is his role with Coleman playing?

39 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

I agree there is a path for this week of Coleman sits.  I don’t believe he gets 15 touches on weeks when Coleman plays. Is there full season value here?  I know he is a “free” player but what is his role with Coleman playing?

We don’t know, but if he gets 12-15 touches and looks electric with them I can see him getting more touches then Coleman week to week 

• Like 2

McKinnon was a third round pick in fantasy just 2 years ago. His situation is similar to then and he's fully healthy now. 

4 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

McKinnon was a third round pick in fantasy just 2 years ago. His situation is similar to then and he's fully healthy now. 

Yep, he’s being overlooked big time. 

McKinnon will see more snaps than Coleman going foward. Hes a Difference-Maker in the passing game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SyNdicateZ said:

McKinnon will see more snaps than Coleman going foward. Hes a Difference-Maker in the passing game

Coleman might not even play this week because he's scared of the weather on Sunday 

40 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

well, not so much "scared" as he is predisposed to major complications due to his sickle cell anemia ... just like how Ryan Clark could never travel to Denver. 

so, yeah ... "scared" is a bad choice of word here 🤷‍♂️

Its actually an appropriate word.

Edited by SyNdicateZ

Just now, SyNdicateZ said:

Its actually an appropriate word.

Im Scared of catching Covid and doing every precaution to not catch it as I have athema and obese.

semantics ... ain't it a bish?

his "scared" came off as pejorative towards Coleman, when i felt it was not quite that cut and dried. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

well, not so much "scared" as he is predisposed to major complications due to his sickle cell anemia ... just like how Ryan Clark could never travel to Denver. 

so, yeah ... "scared" is a bad choice of word here 🤷‍♂️

more like "concerned for his health"

• Like 2

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here but a few players have said he was the most impressive player at camp. Given that, plus Shanahan wanting him on the team, plus Mostert showing up the franchise, and Coleman potentially missing, good things could be on the horizon.

4 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

If Coleman sits & McKinnon plays well, does this open the door for him to be #2? 

Any RB has the chance to be the #2, let alone the #1 every week based on output in this offense. Don’t be shocked if either Coleman/Mostert/McKinnon each make starts this year.

• Thanks 1