ktierne3

Brad Miller 2020 Outlook

Didn't see a 2020 thread so starting one.

Guys got some pop. Hit 13 homers in 154 PA last year, and so far he's off to 2 homers in 24 with a .308 BA.

Anything to see here? He's never been a guy on my radar but the production per plate appearance looks tasty.

Easy swiss army knife pickup based on momentum. I have zero faith he provides lasting value, but CI/MI/OF is what I needed so he was hired.

He is doing something different this year for sure.  Continues to hit the ball hard.  

Batting cleanup.

Career: 9.7% BB% and 23.6% K%.

2020: 20.3% BB% (!!!) and 20.3% K%.

Dude has always had the power, he hit 30 HR in 2016 with TB.  His BABIP this season isn't insane at .341 though his career mark is .290, so he's not getting crazy lucky but he is luckier than usual.  Hard hit rate is up at 53.5% vs career 34.4% and he's hitting a crazy 51.2% of his balls to center and 27.9% line-drives. 

So it looks like he's seeing the ball real well and when he makes contact it's right back up the middle and hard.  Honestly I have no idea what happened but he's 4 for 6 tonight with 2 home runs and f'in 7 RBIs... so...

7 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Career: 9.7% BB% and 23.6% K%.

2020: 20.3% BB% (!!!) and 20.3% K%.

Dude has always had the power, he hit 30 HR in 2016 with TB.  His BABIP this season isn't insane at .341 though his career mark is .290, so he's not getting crazy lucky but he is luckier than usual.  Hard hit rate is up at 53.5% vs career 34.4% and he's hitting a crazy 51.2% of his balls to center and 27.9% line-drives. 

So it looks like he's seeing the ball real well and when he makes contact it's right back up the middle and hard.  Honestly I have no idea what happened but he's 4 for 6 tonight with 2 home runs and f'in 7 RBIs... so...

If he hit .270 with power batting cleanup in that lineup he is a fantasy asset for sure.

Another dinger last night. He's been making hard contact the last 3 seasons, looks like he figured something out with his approach this year. Walk rate way up (which he's flashed in the past), swings in the zone are down quite a bit and so are first pitch swings. Looks like he's waiting for the pitch he really wants and crushing it, or taking the free base if he doesn't get it. Naturally he is going to regress, but like B&F said if he's hitting in the 260-270 range, walking 10%+ and slugging 500+ he is a definite asset. Curious to see how he looks next year, could be a very cheap surprise. Hopefully STL gives him an extension.

Edited by KrunK

He is a guy to grab...any fringe borderline Platoon player in the past are elite this year. 

What I love about him is his attitude.

When he was DFA by the Indians:

"Obviously, they don't want the best guys up here. So I'm just trying to take it somewhere else and see what we've got."

• Like 2

The Cardinals are about to play 10(!) games in week 9. The Brewers have 4 righties and so do the Bucs. Miller could have a big week.