Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheJRod2006

Steve Slaton

Hey guys, I was looking for thoughts on Steve Slaton for the Houston Texans. I havent heard much about him in camp, but I was curious to see if he could break through the logjam of mediocre RBs that the Texans have. Im hoping that hes flying under the radar so I can grab him with a late rd pick in my keeper league, but Texans fans, is there any shot that he can claim the starting job?

Hey guys, I was looking for thoughts on Steve Slaton for the Houston Texans. I havent heard much about him in camp, but I was curious to see if he could break through the logjam of mediocre RBs that the Texans have. Im hoping that hes flying under the radar so I can grab him with a late rd pick in my keeper league, but Texans fans, is there any shot that he can claim the starting job?

right now they have ahman green slated as the starter. the problem with that is that he's been sitting out most of camp so far (the coaches say they are 'resting' him), but they have been consistent with his starter status up to now. the team brought in chris brown earlier this year to play the role of backup/timeshare with green, but he's been riddled with injury (nothing new there), so i don't think they've seen much of him either. the stars of camp so far have been slaton and darius walker. walker seems to be more of a bruiser/between the tackles type, whereas slaton is a pure speedback. also, because of the injuries, mike bell (of broncos fame) was brought in. i'm not sure how highly they rate bell (it cant be that high), but their new coordinator had bell in denver, so you never know. i doubt this team will keep all 5 rbs going into the season (brown, bell, or walker will be cut). anyways, it seems to me like things are lining up like this:

starter: ahman green

primary backup: chris brown/darius walker

third down/slot back: steve slaton

i think right now they really love slaton's speed and versatility, but don't think he's ready for/capable of an every down type of role. there's no way in my eyes that green is getting 25+ carries a game, and they invested a considerable amount into steve compared to the other guys, so he's certain to get more than a few touches early. if he can manage to stay healthy and break the big plays that he's capable of, his touches could skyrocket as the year goes on (this is an extremely optimistic scenerio, btw). i drafted him late in a very deep league, but probably won't take him in my shallower leagues. he'll be waiting on the waiver for me if i want him.

Note: no, i'm not a texans fan, but i'm a huge WVU fan and slaton's really all we got with viable fantasy value right now (chris henry has been disowned)

as a texans fan i wasn't so happy about the pick, but as camp went on i was ok with it...this is how the sitaution is (IMO)

Starter: Green

Backeup: Chris Brown

3rd down back: Slaton (from what i heard, i think this is the case if he can hold on to the football (fumbled the ball twice in a noncontact drill B) ))

Backups: Mike Bell, Walker

Fulback: Chris Taylor app. who can def. get 5 carries a game and shouldbe the starting RB

so to sumarize this thread...DON't DRAFT A HOU RB, unless it's Green (but even Green should be u RB3 or WR/RB)

slaton might not have even won the starting job at WVU if he had stayed this year, right?

he's a little small, and doesnt have breakaway speed...

by the way, besides chris henry, didnt packman jones go to WVU as well? what's the deal?

as a texans fan i wasn't so happy about the pick, but as camp went on i was ok with it...this is how the sitaution is (IMO)

Starter: Green

Backeup: Chris Brown

3rd down back: Slaton (from what i heard, i think this is the case if he can hold on to the football (fumbled the ball twice in a noncontact drill B) ))

Backups: Mike Bell, Walker

Fulback: Chris Taylor app. who can def. get 5 carries a game and shouldbe the starting RB

so to sumarize this thread...DON't DRAFT A HOU RB, unless it's Green (but even Green should be u RB3 or WR/RB)

slaton might not have even won the starting job at WVU if he had stayed this year, right?

by the way, besides chris henry, didnt packman jones go to WVU as well? what's the deal?

1. yeah, he would have been the starter, but noel devine was going to play the reggie bush to his lendale white. which is a bad analogy since they are both more reggie bush-like, but you get my drift.

2. steve slaton is fast as hell (4.35ish), and his acceleration is just as good. he is small (and fairly injury prone), but he is very strong. he doesn't completely rely on running around people (like reggie bush).

3. yeah, pacman went to wvu as well, but i don't play IDPs so i didn't consider him to have 'viable fantasy value'. oh, and i forgot about bulger, but i think we all know what he's about.

huh????!!!!!!! thats exactly what he does have. where in the world did you get that notion from??

Texans placed RB Chris Brown (back) on injured reserve, ending his season.

An MRI may have shown structural damage to Brown's back. The 27-year-old is easily one of the league's most injury prone players. If he recovers, perhaps Houston will release Brown with an injury settlement. The Texans' lone remaining tailbacks are Ahman Green, Steve Slaton, and Chris Taylor.Source: Houston Chronicle

slaton becomes an even nicer late round pick now in ppr leagues.

i watched plenty of him in college - think, a poor mans MJD

I live in a part of the country where WVU is pretty much the local college team, so I've seen Steve Slaton. I look for Slaton to be something like Warrick Dunn, but more injury prone. Ahman Green has not been the same back since leaving Green Bay, and frankly I don't expect more than 600 yards from him this year because of injuries...........and Steve Slaton stealing his carries.

I think 800-1,000 yards is a distinct possibility for Slaton this season. Houston's defense is going to be good, and their passing offense should be pretty good, so the Houston running game should get all the opportunity in the world to post numbers.