ST. STEVEN

JaMycal Hasty 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, jnormy said:

I’m wondering if McKinnon is not 100%. He was the clear lead back and played well in both games Mostert missed previously, with Wilson active in each. So what changed so significantly between weeks 4 and 7?

If Wilson and Mostert are both on the shelf and with Coleman being, well, Coleman, Hasty may just be the best man for the job at this point. And I’d def take a chance on a runner with his kind of explosiveness in that Niners run game.

Shannahan confirmed McKinnon was nursing a rib injury from his heavy workload when Mostert was out! 

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141502-49ers-planned-jerick-mckinnon-starting-wilson-against-patriots/

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan explained his thinking after the game, saying the team knew early in the week they'd likely be starting Wilson or undrafted rookie JaMycal Hasty after Raheem Mostert suffered a high ankle sprain in a Week 6 win over the Rams. The reason for starting Wilson over Jerick McKinnon was due to the workload McKinnon has experienced as of late due to injuries to Mostert and Tevin Coleman (knee).

"The plan was to rest Jet a little bit with how much he's gotten the last few weeks," Shanahan said. "We were going to go with Hasty or Jeff depending on their health. Jeff showed in practice he was healthy enough to go. Once he got cleared it was a pretty easy decision."

"We were down to three left, and we were able to rest Jet and play him only on third down, which will help him a lot going forward," Shanahan said.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

Kyle is making him earn it, he want's to see that he will take care of the ball and protect when needed. I fully expect Tevin and Jerrick's roles to increase. If they don't produce and Hasty keeps showing the explosiveness that he has then Hasty will get more opportunities. 

Hasty should be rostered in all leagues IMO.... He is not rostered in my 10 team league, I just hope I can drop B. Scott for him this week. 

Honestly Aiyuk could take the Deebo role, Hasty has the ball secured not many mental mistakes, I haven't watch tape but someone mentioned his vision and patience needs a little work, a beautiful prospect for next season, he had some nice runs, I'm also wondering if his pass blocking is what's keeping him from getting on the field. He is a small guy but lots of small guys have played the pass block role before....

I'll go ahead and say Hasty, Coleman, and McKinnon (depending on his injuries) will all contribute. 

If you had to pick one to roster, Hasty would be the one, but he's going to be a max RB2 moving forward.

45 minutes ago, RocketIndian49 said:

Shannahan confirmed McKinnon was nursing a rib injury from his heavy workload when Mostert was out! 

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141502-49ers-planned-jerick-mckinnon-starting-wilson-against-patriots/

Honestly think this is more coach speak than anything. Shanahan loves playing mind games with opposing teams. After this week, I'm regarding the SF backfield as a coin flip. Shanahan makes any running back look good. Right now it's 50/50 chance of Mckinnon or Hasty featured, if Coleman enters the equation it's a 1/3 dice roll.

It sounds like he prefers guys that have a full grasp of the playbook/scheme though, and Hasty might just not be as caught up as the other guys with the lack of a true offseason and less reps overall.

Edited by harck

57 minutes ago, jnormy said:

I’m wondering if McKinnon is not 100%. He was the clear lead back and played well in both games Mostert missed previously, with Wilson active in each. So what changed so significantly between weeks 4 and 7?

If Wilson and Mostert are both on the shelf and with Coleman being, well, Coleman, Hasty may just be the best man for the job at this point. And I’d def take a chance on a runner with his kind of explosiveness in that Niners run game.

McKinnon legs looked shot with the additional big load shanny gave him. It's going be RBBC with the hot hand getting the grunt of shannys load. My money would be on Hasty.  

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

I watched him a lot at Baylor, he is explosive and extremely fast but what I noticed is he needs more patience and better vision.  He plays at full speed all the time but needs to learn to play with different gears to set up his blocks.  But he is explosive and worth stashing.

What in world are you talking about? His vision and patience are literally some of his best traits.... you've lost all credibility as far as I am concerned.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dirtywater97 said:

What in world are you talking about? His vision and patience are literally some of his best traits.... you've lost all credibility as far as I am concerned.

What I have seen aligns with your thoughts. If you watch his runs you will see where he uses his vision to find some cutback lanes. He is also patient to allow his lineman set up those lanes rather than go full bore in one direction in hopes to gain any yardage.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Same. Pretty much exact opposite of what he described. He's shown good patience and vision and isn't that fast, but that's not a huge deal in this system 

5 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

1 minute ago, pdizzle710 said:

What I have seen aligns with your thoughts. If you watch his runs you will see where he uses his vision to find some cutback lanes. He is also patient to allow his lineman set up those lanes rather than go full bore in one direction in hopes to gain any yardage.

these ^ x infinity

the clips provided last week from the Rams game were a revelation ... i immediately remarked that his vision and patience were outstanding, and it's what stoked the fire most for me ... that can't be "coached" - they are succinct intangibles that seperate the wheat from the chaff.

i mean, it literally jumped off the screen ... dunno how that can escape anyone who takes the time to watch 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

Check out this whole thread:

Yeah watching him in this system he shows great patience and vision, maybe he stepped his game up from Baylor .....

Cause so far from what I seen in the niners uniform the guy looks too good..... I think in time he will take over, I hope....

• Like 1

McKinnon's vastly reduced role was telegraphed from miles away.  And now that Jeff Wilson is out, Hasty may be the next man up.  We'll have to see about Tevin Coleman.  Shanny will probably play Coleman over Hasty if Coleman is available due to Coleman's bigger size and vast advantage in experience in this system.

33 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

My post specifically mentioned having watched him at Baylor, I haven't seen much so far with San Francisco so there may be some growth in those areas.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pdizzle710 said:

Check out this whole thread:

A slippery back that just squirts through the holes.

Edited by Pooskay
  • Haha 3

Does Baldinger still host a show? I loved the AFC and NFC Playbooks with him and Sterling Sharpe on NFL Network. No fluff, no fantasy talk, just hardcore film breakdown.

Although I could do without the constant motioning with that mangled finger 😩

brian-baldinger-finger_STACK.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

McKinnon's vastly reduced role was telegraphed from miles away.  And now that Jeff Wilson is out, Hasty may be the next man up.  We'll have to see about Tevin Coleman.  Shanny will probably play Coleman over Hasty if Coleman is available due to Coleman's bigger size and vast advantage in experience in this system.

C'mon man.... Everyone and their brother was saying McKinnon would get first crack and would need to bore the coach before Hasty got a true shot. Nobody saw Wilson being the lead coming into this game. I agree with your take on Coleman. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

C'mon man.... Everyone and their brother was saying McKinnon would get first crack and would need to bore the coach before Hasty got a true shot. Nobody saw Wilson being the lead coming into this game. I agree with your take on Coleman. 

Shanahan basically came right and admitted that he had used McKinnon too much and the he was going to dial his opportunities way back.  That's what I was going by, not the chatter from McKinnon proponents or the RW blurb writers.

• Like 1

Just now, timexsocialclub said:

Is there any way he Wally Pipps Mostert if he gets enough carries and produces before Mostert returns?

doubt it but he could force a split.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timexsocialclub said:

Is there any way he Wally Pipps Mostert if he gets enough carries and produces before Mostert returns?

Nah Mostert is like tyreek hill speed at rb

• Like 1

I like this dude a lot for the next few weeks at least, hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity.

If you own him and he pays off, you could probably go after Mostert as a stash until he comes back. Wilson should be out for 1-2 months, we’ve seen Coleman over the years he’s a JAG, McKinnon stock going way down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a cleveland like backfield would be cool in my book, with mostert playing the chubb role and hasty being hunt. 

Dude wins the Rookie of the Year Award (Best Hair Category) by far: 

image.png.c2cdb06ce4e716da689370b5638a87a8.png

Edited by MBarbarian