ST. STEVEN

JaMycal Hasty 2020 Outlook

Shanny is a run game wizard.  Wilson gets the 1st crack but Hasty is free.  If you have an open roster spot...why not?  Reports out of 49ers camp were positive, it was just crowded at the time with veterans  (Mostert, McKinnon, Coleman, and J.Wilson)  2 of those guys are out and injuries are running wild in the NFL.  I believe a McKinnon/Wilson split will be the plan with Hasty getting a few touches.  If Wilson struggles or either of those guys get banged up, Hasty will get a real shot.  A shot is all it takes when Shanny has the keys to an offense.   Just ask Mostert!

Week 3 and we are already considering rostering folks that are not even on the active roster...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Week 3 and we are already considering rostering folks that are not even on the active roster...

Deep benches and dynasty, absolutely.

Would you rather wait till after a nice game and bid on him on waivers?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Blame it on 2020. RyanksN is right about Shanny's penchant for producing good RB stats and with all the freak injuries this year he is a lottery ticket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mar1kle said:

Observing...not judging

If they had a pre season we would actually see what he is made of, dude looked great at Baylor, he probably would have made the active roster if it wasn't for covid

Edited by CABLE87

Exact same size and weight as McKinnon. 5’9” 205. 

Just getting tuned in to this kid - The SF situation is pretty muddy right now, you can make the point that McKinnon and Hasty both will have at least some window through which to shine this week. But after that, who knows what could happen with Mostert looking to return.

Has anybody seen any of Hasty's college tape? Or know anything more about him then the preseason blurbs we've seen so far?

I plucked McKinnon off waivers this week, but am not starting him. I'm set decently at RB currently, so I'm wondering what people think of this kid specifically as compared to McKinnon. I'm trying to gauge if he's a better lottery ticket on a 10 team shallow bench than McKinnon. We kind of know what McKinnon is: a very talented back in all phases of the game, but has struggled with staying on the field most of his career. Does that make Hasty the sneaky but better stash?

In all likelihood, either of McKinnon or Hasty would occupy an end spot on a bench for a week or two, not get started, and then get dropped in favor of the next shiny thing. So does Hasty have that higher lottery ticket ceiling to break that probability?

Uh, the next James Robinson?

Lol, I kid, I kid.

I got to watch him at Baylor some, he has good juice and jumped off the screen, quick, good vision, watch his highlights and I'm sure Shanahan saw flashes of those kinds of plays in training camp. Hasty could be Tasty closer to the end of the season when all the injuries to coleman and mostert and mckinnon all start adding up, none of those guys stay healthy for long periods of time. 

Here are some excerpts from the article that Cable posted:

"Hasty shined through training camp both in the run game and as a receiver. On the field with mostly the twos and threes, teammates called the shifty back’s route running “filthy.” The undrafted free agent’s 4.55 40-yard-dash speed was apparent on long runs, as was his reliability as a checkdown option."

"Hasty’s versatility likely is what caught the eye of the 49ers' scouting department. Coach Kyle Shanahan always has valued players who can be productive in more than just one phase of the game."

Fred Warner came away impressed by Hasty’s talent.:

“Hasty, he was one of the guys that everybody was talking about during training camp because he’s got that twitch to him,” Warner said Wednesday. “His cuts are very decisive when he’s running the football. He’s not afraid to pass-block, all those things that go unnoticed.”

"During the 49ers' last open training camp practice at Levi's Stadium, Hasty took a handoff from C.J. Beathard. Once the rookie got to the second level, he juked a defensive back so effortlessly that the entire offensive sideline erupted, shouting and jumping up and down."

After that practice, Tevin Coleman shared what he had seen from the Baylor product:

"His approach has been amazing," Coleman said of Hasty. "He's been amazing, he's been listening, he's been picking up things really well. He's kind of like me, a quiet guy. Once you get to know him, he's a good solid dude and he likes to work." 

• Thanks 1

In a deep bench dynasty it'd be no question - this is the kind of end bench ticket you want to be holding. I'm more curious if there's a place for him on the opposite spectrum - shallow bench redrafts. Especially small leagues, 10 teamers.

Right now a guy like McKinnon is anchoring my last spot - and even if he has a blow up week, unless he somehow takes a significant role, or bumps his trade value soon, he simply won't stick around long. In a few weeks I'll need an open spot to rotate a streaming QB and TE for the BYEs.

So does a kid like Hasty have a significantly *better* shot at opening up a real role for himself this weekend than a guy like McKinnon? If nothing else, there are durability concerns up the entire depth chart ahead of Hasty - which is appealing. But in and of itself may not be enough to hold him through the BYE weeks.

The San Francisco 49ers are promoting running back JaMycal Hasty to the active roster for Sunday's game against the New York Giants. With injuries to their top two running backs, the Niners weren't going to go into Week 3 with only Jerick McKinnon and Jeff Wilson Jr. on the roster. McKinnon and Wilson should see almost all of the work, so don't get too excited about Hasty this week, who'll likely see just a handful of touches at best and shouldn't be on anyone's fantasy radar...yet.--Justin Carter - RotoBaller

5 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

The San Francisco 49ers are promoting running back JaMycal Hasty to the active roster for Sunday's game against the New York Giants. With injuries to their top two running backs, the Niners weren't going to go into Week 3 with only Jerick McKinnon and Jeff Wilson Jr. on the roster. McKinnon and Wilson should see almost all of the work, so don't get too excited about Hasty this week, who'll likely see just a handful of touches at best and shouldn't be on anyone's fantasy radar...yet.--Justin Carter - RotoBaller

9REpiCo7_400x400.jpg

• Haha 2

I grabbed he and Wilson costing me my kicker so I gotta let one go... its dynasty so I think I am feeling tasty...

• Like 1

I wish with Covid we had larger benches in my league.  Definitely potential here.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-promote-running-back-jamycal-hasty-to-active-roster

Without Garoppolo, the 49ers obviously would love to run the ball as much as possible. But the current starting running back, Jerick McKinnon, missed the past two seasons with a knee injury and never has been a featured back in his life -- he was a quarterback in college. He might not be ready to handle more than 15 touches in a game. And five of those touches could be catches -- he’s a good receiver and a vital member of the passing game.

McKinnon’s backup, Jeff Wilson Jr., is an effective short-yardage runner, but not explosive in the open field. He may not merit more than 10 or 12 carries in the game.

So if the 49ers run 30 times, which usually is their goal, Hasty could get 10 to 12 carries as well.

3 minutes ago, hard1 said:

I hope those 10 carries are for big yards

It would be a good beginning and indicate what is to come.  If he bombed on that many carries, one could ignore him.  If he does a lot with those carries, then he could not be put back on practice squad or another team would sign him. So it would be enough to know his value.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nine9s said:

It would be a good beginning and indicate what is to come.  If he bombed on that many carries, one could ignore him.  If he does a lot with those carries, then he could not be put back on practice squad or another team would sign him. So it would be enough to know his value.

all these niners backs have busted at least one in two games this year and this will be the third hopefully its J Mike

• Like 1

Oh great, now I own 5 SF RBs. When will I learn to stay away from this backfield? 😒

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Oh great, now I own 5 SF RBs. When will I learn to stay away from this backfield? 😒

This is the way

• Like 1

I can hear it already. “That helped nobody.” 2 TD’s