ST. STEVEN

JaMycal Hasty 2020 Outlook

21 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Watched his highlights again. He's got a wee bit of that Barry wiggle. Would be fun if he got the load. 

Zero value added here, gents. Classic Gandalfthecat

Bro what did I just read? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Breesus said:

This is week 1 of me ever owning part of the SF backfield. I am not having a good time 

I wish I could say it gets better after the first time, but it truly doesn't...

Owning a Niners back is about as bad as owning a Patriots back.  There are some things that are better just left alone.

1 minute ago, CooL said:

I wish I could say it gets better after the first time, but it truly doesn't...

Owning a Niners back is about as bad as owning a Patriots back.  There are some things that are better just left alone.

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Watched his highlights again. He's got a wee bit of that Barry wiggle. Would be fun if he got the load. 

Zero value added here, gents. Classic Gandalfthecat

This comment wins the day.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2020/10/26/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-draft-scouting-report-of-49ers-rb-jamycal-hasty/

Like McCaffrey, Hasty’s a patient runner when sifting through traffic and has no problem accessing tight creases to earn yardage. He’s also a decisive gap runner who can manipulate blocks with changes to his gait. Once he reaches the second level, Hasty uses his excellent open-field skills and best-in-class acceleration to generate big plays.

Hasty has the best of both worlds when it comes to movement. He has the curvilinear skills to bend around opponents at the edge to get downhill and do it with the pacing of Dalvin Cook, and he has the violent cuts and dramatic moves of players like Ahmad Bradshaw and Devonta Freeman.

Hasty’s ability to drop his weight is the raw skill that he has refined with multiple moves. He comes to sudden stops to avoid penetration into the backfield with hard breaks and he can restart as fast as he stopped. He can also pivot away from pursuit and force them to overrun their target.

His sharp, economical turns are the product of him opening his hips and then flipping them fast in the direction Hasty points his toe. When tasked to work outside and turn the corner, Hasty can make the transition with only 1-2 to small prep steps.

Hasty also has a knack for waiting until the last millisecond to execute moves and force opponents to overrun their pursuit angles. This makes Hasty a tough tackle in open space, especially when he combines multiple moves to bait defenders in the wrong direction.

Hasty’s 4.03-second, 20 Shuttle performance at the NFL Combine shows up in a big way when he’s accelerating, stopping, and reaccelerating on the field. He wins the short corner easily and beats linebackers up the flat without a problem. Although his long speed is on the lowest end of the RSP’s Starter Tier, it’s enough when paired with his exceptional burst.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Cardiak said:

If this guy is so talented, why did he go undrafted?

Wondering the same thing myself.

Small school, smaller than prototypical NFL back size, less than desired long speed.

This was a crowded running back class with all the big names.  Dobbins, Swift, Taylor, CEH, even AJ Dillon and Zack Moss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiak said:

3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Bias and poor perspective. Same reason why quality players go undrafted in fantasy drafts 

Priest Holmes and Willie Parker were undrafted and studs during their best seasons.

• Like 4

Just read in the San Jose Mercury that Coleman was activated today to try to get him ready for next Thursday's game.  Could be Shanahan blowing smoke, but he says in the blurb that McKinnon or Hasty will start against Seattle.  I tried to link the article but it was not optimized for mobile.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Just read in the San Jose Mercury that Coleman was activated today to try to get him ready for next Thursday's game.  Could be Shanahan blowing smoke, but he says in the blurb that McKinnon or Hasty will start against Seattle.  I tried to link the article but it was not optimized for mobile.

Nice find. Here's a link to the article and the actual quotes. Hasty owners giddy up!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/28/49ers-on-wednesday-tevin-coleman-jordan-reed-kwaun-williams-return-to-practice/

Coleman’s return, whether it’s this game or next, will help offset another injury. Jeff Wilson Jr. (high-ankle sprain) is not practicing and is expected to join Raheem Mostert (high-ankle sprain) on IR this week. Either Jerick McKinnon or JaMycal Hasty will start at running back Sunday when the 49ers visit the first-place Seattle Seahawks (5-1).

Coach Kyle Shanahan said the trio’s practice window opened more in an effort to suit them up for next Thursday’s home game against Green Bay. The 49ers have three weeks to activate Coleman, Reed and Williams onto the roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Nice find. Here's a link to the article and the actual quotes. Hasty owners giddy up!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/28/49ers-on-wednesday-tevin-coleman-jordan-reed-kwaun-williams-return-to-practice/

Coleman’s return, whether it’s this game or next, will help offset another injury. Jeff Wilson Jr. (high-ankle sprain) is not practicing and is expected to join Raheem Mostert (high-ankle sprain) on IR this week. Either Jerick McKinnon or JaMycal Hasty will start at running back Sunday when the 49ers visit the first-place Seattle Seahawks (5-1).

Coach Kyle Shanahan said the trio’s practice window opened more in an effort to suit them up for next Thursday’s home game against Green Bay. The 49ers have three weeks to activate Coleman, Reed and Williams onto the roster.

This is definitely more solid news than we got all of last week. 

What I take from bold is definitely good news for Hasty owners. I think it's safe to say at this point that even if McKinnon is the "starter" his own coach views him apparently as some sort of sissy-boy - absent any other info that is the conclusion I choose to draw at this point. I've never seen - ever - a situation where a presumed starter gets 10 carries in 3 weeks to "rest" him when the rest of their RBs are dropping like flies.

My next conclusion is that Hasty will be given some entire series (and maybe most of them) in this game regardless of who "starts" if the bolded above is true.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Priest Holmes and Willie Parker were undrafted and studs during their best seasons.

And recently James Robinson UDFA killing it this year!! who would have known?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cardiak said:

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

49 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

3 minutes ago, LouDawg said:

And recently James Robinson UDFA killing it this year!! who would have known?

The list goes on. Another undrafted RB without top end speed...Arian Foster. Ring a bell?

• Like 5

You gotta give Shanny some credit here. Fantasy gamers have no clue what's going on and I can assume NFL coaches are also scratching their heads when it comes to the game plan. Does us no good but keeps SF's opponents guessing. Hasty has definitely looked better than McKinnon and that's no guess. I wouldn't start JaMycal unless absolutely desperate but the opportunity and the talent are for real. 

Saw something interesting regarding Hasty. Sounds like Shanahan is still being coy about him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pooskay said:

Arian Foster.

4 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Name checks out

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cardiak said:

Didn’t people say the same about James Robinson?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pooskay said:

Arian Foster too.

RB is the position (outside of special teams) where there are the most undrafted gems. I'm not going to use one's draft position to determine whether they're going to be a fantasy asset moving forward.

4 hours ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

Didn’t people say the same about James Robinson?

Fournette was supposedly let go because of the talent James flashed back in camp. If Hasty is so good, why is he just now getting involved 8 weeks in AFTER multiple injuries?