ST. STEVEN

JaMycal Hasty 2020 Outlook

3 hours ago, mrfrood said:

As a McKinnon and Hasty manager, here are my 2 cents. I think we are over thinking this whole Shanahanigans thing. Some will say, OMG Jeff Wilson closed the game out against the Giants and then McKinnon was the main guy the next game. During this time, McKinnon was always the guy, it was a blow out against Giants and he got banged up because of a rib injury. Shanahan wanted to protect his guy, that's why Wilson got the load at the end. Let's fast forward to now. I think we can all admit McKinnon really has not looked too great the past 4 games. Yeah he put up some points but has been inefficient. This past Sunday Hasty not only looked better, but he closed the game out without a McKinnon injury. I think we have seen enough McKinnon and Shanahan knows he can not handle the load. Hasty is next man up and I am willing to bet Hasty is the lead dog this Sunday. 

assuming this is for this week only?  when coleman gets back, he would be in the mi as well?

Coleman as much as I want to like him has looked done

• Like 1

Apparently the 49ers have stocked an entire roster full of backs who can't physically stand up to what Shanahan wants to do in the running game. 

It's a constant revolving door of the usual suspects for two years now. Hasty will now be the new Breida I suppose. 

Regardless of how ridiculous this situation obviously is - you have to deal with "right now" if you're scrapping for wins. I think that means you should try to grab Hasty if you own either Mostert or McKinnon. 

Wilson is the only one of these backs that has a GL/short yardage role based on usage to date (other than the fluke receiving bonanza he had v the Giants). So if one or both of M&M are out Hasty is a logical sub. McKinnon's usage has been alarming the last two weeks. As to whether Hasty got more work boils down to game situation at the time I have no idea. That theory makes sense to me - but it does not explain what happened a week before when McK had 1 carry and 1 catch for 0 yards.

What I still haven't seen is any mention at all of how SF plans to deal with the situation. Y! has Hasty projected for "0" points ATM (not that it's relevant). I'm hoping for some media leaks as the week goes on as to how Shanahan is going to play this with McKinnon really trending down in his usage.

Just one note on Coleman - I disagree he's necessarily "washed". We've only seen a 1+game sample of him. His 12-carry 14-yard extravaganza v the Jets is definitely indicative of "washed-ness" - but he could have been hurt at some point before he came out of that game. Coleman is the only back in this backfield that combines both speed and power - and Shanny is obviously familiar with him. 

So Mostert is out. Wilson might not play but has a chance? And we think Hasty wil get the nod over McKinnon? Just trying to recap everything. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, codyodea said:

So Mostert is out. Wilson might not play but has a chance? And we think Hasty wil get the nod over McKinnon? Just trying to recap everything. 

In a nut shell hasty could be looking at 12ish touches... and looked the part

Wilson 2.0 situation here IMO. McKinnon is gonna be the guy until they run him into the ground. Hasty will get some work here and there but won't be enough to pay dividends for those that start him, and if Wilson does suit up you know he's getting the GL opps over the other two.  Once Coleman comes back next week (perhaps), he'll be the lead in a more even split with McKinnon and both Hasty and Wilson (to a lesser extent) become irrelevant once again.  

• Like 1

Just now, TheINC said:

Wilson 2.0 situation here IMO. McKinnon is gonna be the guy until they run him into the ground. Hasty will get some work here and there but won't be enough to pay dividends for those that start him, and if Wilson does suit up you know he's getting the GL opps over the other two.  Once Coleman comes back next week (perhaps), he'll be the lead in a more even split with McKinnon and both Hasty and Wilson (to a lesser extent) become irrelevant once again.  

Maybe. 

Or maybe Wilson's out, McKinnon's the third down guy and Hasty turns 15 touches into 80 yards and a TD and earns more work going forward. Niners need a RB to step up if they're gonna compete for a playoff spot. Hasty's just as likely as anyone to step up but he's got to make his mark quickly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jetdog16 said:

Maybe. 

Or maybe Wilson's out, McKinnon's the third down guy and Hasty turns 15 touches into 80 yards and a TD and earns more work going forward. Niners need a RB to step up if they're gonna compete for a playoff spot. Hasty's just as likely as anyone to step up but he's got to make his mark quickly. 

We've seen this already this season when Mostert went out with his first injury. They force fed McKinnon the ball and he delivered for the most part. Has he been good with Mostert back?  Not really, but why would Hasty get 15 touches over McKinnon when we already saw how Shanny utilized his backs with Mostert out of the lineup.  I get having hope Hasty turns out to be productive, however I just don't see how Shanny just hands the reigns to an UDFA over a guy that already delivered this season.  This reminds me exactly of the questions going into week 3 with Wilson and McKinnon and we saw how that played out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheINC said:

We've seen this already this season when Mostert went out with his first injury. They force fed McKinnon the ball and he delivered for the most part. Has he been good with Mostert back?  Not really, but why would Hasty get 15 touches over McKinnon when we already saw how Shanny utilized his backs with Mostert out of the lineup.  I get having hope Hasty turns out to be productive, however I just don't see how Shanny just hands the reigns to an UDFA over a guy that already delivered this season.  This reminds me exactly of the questions going into week 3 with Wilson and McKinnon and we saw how that played out.

You're right that we've seen this already, except McKinnon failed to establish anything last time Mostert was hurt. That's a big part of why we're in this situation and Hasty is getting 4th qtr carries etc. McKinnon is averaging 3.14 Ypc over the past 4 games, that's not gonna cut it and Shanny knows that. Hasty looks like the better option between the two of them. Wilson and Coleman make this backfield a real headache -- nothing is a given but this kid is worthy of a stash. 

• Like 4

The most confusing part to me is people act like McKinnon was ever good between the tackles runner. This isn't just a 2020 season thing.

News flash: he wasn't good running between the tackles in Minnesota either. Nothing more than a scat back.

This season has been a continuation of the same exact thing.

Jeff Wilson - plodder. Tevin Coleman (pretty similar profile to McKinnon)

He's honestly the best option they have... hopefully the coaching staff sees that.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 5

Mckinnon may be nursing something at the moment because his production has fallen the past two games. I think he was dealing with a rib issue at one point this year. Hasty looked noticeably more explosive last week, that's for sure. 

46 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

You're right that we've seen this already, except McKinnon failed to establish anything last time Mostert was hurt. That's a big part of why we're in this situation and Hasty is getting 4th qtr carries etc. McKinnon is averaging 3.14 Ypc over the past 4 games, that's not gonna cut it and Shanny knows that. Hasty looks like the better option between the two of them. Wilson and Coleman make this backfield a real headache -- nothing is a given but this kid is worthy of a stash. 

So in the 2 full games without Mostert:

McKinnon - week 3 - 48 snaps (62% share), 14 carries, 4 targets, 13.7 fps in non-ppr. Week 4 - 67 snaps (92%), 14 carries, 8 targets, 15.7 fps

This is was with Wilson active and Hasty on the roster. How is this not productive and why would Shanny all of a sudden give 15 touches to an UDFA over Jet?? Just bc his YPC isn't over 4?   Sure it's possible, but clearly there's some precedent here and I just think people should temper their expectations on Hasty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codyodea said:

Think back to the Giants game. It came out during the week to expect Wilson to carry the load more than people were expecting when McKinnon was the one of the hot FA pickups after Mostert’s injury. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Hasty get 15 carries and a few catches while McKinnon gets 8 carries and 4 catches or such.

1 minute ago, TheINC said:

So in the 2 full games without Mostert:

McKinnon - week 3 - 48 snaps (62% share), 14 carries, 4 targets, 13.7 fps in non-ppr. Week 4 - 67 snaps (92%), 14 carries, 8 targets, 15.7 fps

This is was with Wilson active and Hasty on the roster. How is this not productive and why would Shanny all of a sudden give 15 touches to an UDFA over Jet?? Just bc his YPC isn't over 4?   Sure it's possible, but clearly there's some precedent here and I just think people should temper their expectations on Hasty. 

In week 3 Wilson had 12 carries and 3 catches. So if Hasty looks better than Wilson (the JAGiest of all SF RB) looked in that game, and Jet keeps struggling, Hasty has an easy(ish) path to more touches than McKinnon this week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

In week 3 Wilson had 12 carries and 3 catches. So if Hasty looks better than Wilson (the JAGiest of all SF RB) looked in that game, and Jet keeps struggling, Hasty has an easy(ish) path to more touches than McKinnon this week. 

Week 3 they beat the Giants 36-9 so Wilson got a decent amount of usage in a blowout.  The next week in a much closer game with Philly, Jet had the entire backfield to himself for the whole game.  So yeah if this week is a blowout maybe Hasty gets some garbage time usage like Wilson did vs the Giants.  But vs the Pats good run D, somehow Hasty is gonna go ham...?

Edited by TheINC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

I haven't been watching the 9ers much but can someone definitively comment that McKinnon looks bad lately and Nasty Hasty looks better? The first 4 weeks were pretty good for Mckinnon.

4 minutes ago, TheINC said:

Week 3 they beat the Giants 36-9 so Wilson got a decent amount of usage in a blowout.  The next week in a much closer game with Philly, Jet had the entire backfield to himself for the whole game.  So yeah if this week is a blowout maybe Hasty gets some garbage time usage like Wilson did vs the Giants.  But vs the Pats good run D, somehow Hasty is gonna go ham...?

Good point but that's a whole 'nother conversation. 

This matchup sucks - regardless who gets the rock. It all comes down to who gets pummeled most right now.

One disclaimer - whomever the Magic 8-Ball reveals could bust a week-saving run. That is why this offense is a RB focal point.

2 minutes ago, codyodea said:

I haven't been watching the 9ers much but can someone definitively comment that McKinnon looks bad lately and Nasty Hasty looks better? The first 4 weeks were pretty good for Mckinnon.

Read the last couple pages - it's been discussed plenty.

• Like 1

The only reason this thread is alive is because Hasty got a lot of touches towards the end of the 4th in the last game while Mckinnon rode the bench. Shanny said he looked good, and a 49er teammate said he looked good and that he is excited for him. His touches did come at an important time still (they weren't garbage touches) because the 49ers only had a one score lead, and Shanahan said he put him in cause he wanted fresh legs to close out the game and Mckinnon had taken a beating.

Nobody knows how the backfield will shakeout, it's likely it goes right back to Mckinnon with Hasty playing the Wilson role. However, he did look good at the end of the game, and this type of situation isn't foreign to the 49ers, we saw it with Mostert last year. So it's gunshot speculation around a fantasy lotto ticket like a lot of threads here, because that's what makes fantasy fun. In terms of 100% concrete notice that Hasty is going to take the backfield by storm? Na, no one got any of that.

We're just all hopeful we found the Mostert of the second half of last year ;).

Edited by harck
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Good point but that's a whole 'nother conversation. 

This matchup sucks - regardless who gets the rock. It all comes down to who gets pummeled most right now.

One disclaimer - whomever the Magic 8-Ball reveals could bust a week-saving run. That is why this offense is a RB focal point.

The Patriots are dead middle of the road in run DVOA and just made Phillip Lindsay (another UDFA) look ok last week.

12 minutes ago, harck said:

The only reason this thread is alive is because Hasty got a lot of touches towards the end of the 4th in the last game while Mckinnon rode the bench. Shanny said he looked good, and a 49er teammate said he looked good and that he is excited for him. His touches did come at an important time still (they weren't garbage touches) because the 49ers only had a one score lead, and Shanahan said he put him in cause he wanted fresh legs to close out the game and Mckinnon had taken a beating.

Nobody knows how the backfield will shakeout, it's likely it goes right back to Mckinnon with Hasty playing the Wilson role. However, he did look good at the end of the game, and this type of situation isn't foreign to the 49ers, we saw it with Mostert last year. So it's gunshot speculation around a fantasy lotto ticket like a lot of threads here, because that's what makes fantasy fun. In terms of 100% concrete notice that Hasty is going to take the backfield by storm? Na, no one got any of that.

This is all pretty spot on. Another thing I would caution people against is the whole “is he really going to play a UDFA over (anyone).” Shanahan has drafted one RB with any real capital, and that was Joe Williams. It blew up in his face. Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman (Atlanta) and Carlos Hyde he inherited. He made Alfred Morris, Matt Breida and now Mostert all look pretty good as UDFAs and played them over vets. As a Niner fan Shanny has his faults, but he is not a guy who refuses to give a young no name a chance if he thinks it will help the team.

Edited by donslaughtonslaught

2 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

The Patriots are dead middle of the road in run DVOA and just made Phillip Lindsay (another UDFA) look ok last week.

Yeah they did but overall - particularly when you're talking about a committee back - it is still not the most ideal situation. I can think of a few defenses I'd rather SF was playing.

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Yeah they did but overall - particularly when you're talking about a committee back - it is still not the most ideal situation. I can think of a few defenses I'd rather SF was playing.

Yeah makes sense. I just think go with the whole “Belichick will take out your best weapon” narrative I am more worried about Kittle and maybe Deebo.

4 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

Yeah makes sense. I just think go with the whole “Belichick will take out your best weapon” narrative I am more worried about Kittle and maybe Deebo.

Double B ain't gonna for the run game.. jimmy g yak deebo kittles will be his focus 

• Like 1