Rotoworld.com Forums

JaMycal Hasty 2020 Outlook

He is a potential Shanahan lead running back for free, so is definitely worth a speculative add. How likely? Who knows. Shanahan probably doesn’t even know.  Drop your kicker if you have to and see what news comes out over the next few days. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol.  Everyone becomes Miss Cleo on the day after a game

Watched his highlights again. He's got a wee bit of that Barry wiggle. Would be fun if he got the load.  Zero value added here, gents. Classic Gandalfthecat

Name checks out

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

This is all pretty spot on. Another thing I would caution people against is the whole “is he really going to play a UDFA over (anyone).” Shanahan has drafted one RB with any real capital, and that was Joe Williams. It blew up in his face. Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman (Atlanta) and Carlos Hyde he inherited. He made Alfred Morris, Matt Breida and now Mostert all look pretty good as UDFAs and played them over vets. As a Niner fan Shanny has his faults, but he is not a guy who refuses to give a young no name a chance if he thinks it will help the team.

And yet he's stuck with McKinnon for 3 seasons now, after he's missed 2 full seasons due to injury. And in the 2 full games Mostert missed who got the lions share of the usage?  Hasty was available for those games as well, but he didn't sniff the field over Wilson even.  I just think expecting Hasty to get 15+ touches over a healthy McKinnon is wishful thinking, based on a handful of carries at the end of the Rams game where they were in complete control and needed to just salt the game away?  I mean start him if you need to, but we have the evidence already to base some assumptions upon, this is not just pure guesswork.

4 minutes ago, TheINC said:

And yet he's stuck with McKinnon for 3 seasons now, after he's missed 2 full seasons due to injury. And in the 2 full games Mostert missed who got the lions share of the usage?  Hasty was available for those games as well, but he didn't sniff the field over Wilson even.  I just think expecting Hasty to get 15+ touches over a healthy McKinnon is wishful thinking, based on a handful of carries at the end of the Rams game where they were in complete control and needed to just salt the game away?  I mean start him if you need to, but we have the evidence already to base some assumptions upon, this is not just pure guesswork.

Every RB has gotta start somewhere my man. Of course it's unlikely, but it's not rare for Shanahan to shift towards featuring fresh legs or a new face as he has done time and time again. The safe answer is Mckinnon. The gamble is Hasty. We're all gamblers here.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TheINC said:

A "healthy" Mckinnon has not been looking that great. I think we have seen enough of McKinnon and Shanahan as well. Hasty used out the game last game and I think he is going to open and close the next one. 

30 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

This is all pretty spot on. Another thing I would caution people against is the whole “is he really going to play a UDFA over (anyone).” Shanahan has drafted one RB with any real capital, and that was Joe Williams. It blew up in his face. Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman (Atlanta) and Carlos Hyde he inherited. He made Alfred Morris, Matt Breida and now Mostert all look pretty good as UDFAs and played them over vets. As a Niner fan Shanny has his faults, but he is not a guy who refuses to give a young no name a chance if he thinks it will help the team.

His old man made a career out of making dude after dude a 1,000 yard rusher.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, harck said:

Every RB has gotta start somewhere my man. Of course it's unlikely, but it's not rare for Shanahan to shift towards featuring fresh legs or a new face as he has done time and time again. The safe answer is Mckinnon. The gamble is Hasty. We're all gamblers here.

I guess if Wilson suits up then he's just as likely a gamble then, since we know he's the GL back.  Also Shanny has seen Hasty all season, why didnt he turn it over to him after the Giants game in that case?  This is less of a gamble than I think people are making it out to be. McKinnon has been the guy with Mostert out, highly doubtful that changes tbh.

5 minutes ago, TheINC said:

I guess if Wilson suits up then he's just as likely a gamble then, since we know he's the GL back.  Also Shanny has seen Hasty all season, why didnt he turn it over to him after the Giants game in that case?  This is less of a gamble than I think people are making it out to be. McKinnon has been the guy with Mostert out, highly doubtful that changes tbh.

McKinnon is a great story to even be seeing the field. It was a shocker to us Niner fans that he was even resigned. I guess I am not sure why what McKinnon did three weeks ago is more valuable than the last two games where McKinnon touched the ball once behind a healthy Mostert and then was phased out at the end of a must win game against the Rams. People thought last year Shanny might stick with Coleman and Breida as vets, but Mostert showed up and got to play well over Breida and equal (or over other than Coleman’s huge wild card game) to Coleman by the end of the year. Not saying Hasty is guaranteed to do anything at all, but Shanahan will play a guy who produces over a good story most of the time. So if that is Hasty he could be big for the rest of the year is all.

Edited by donslaughtonslaught
  • Like 3

I don’t watch sf a lot but I will tell you I saw this game... mckinnon did not pass the eye test.  He got what was there and that was it... this kid was exciting, and he was making jump cuts at the line to grind out 3-4 positive yards.  To me he’s worth the $2 in faab + seems like the coach loves an underdog I remember him sticking with mostert last year who was the 3rd in line as well.  Kids gotta prove it, we’ll see what he’s got this weekend

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, TheINC said:

Sometimes you don't see what you got until they get a chance by luck and are let loose. This line of thinking basically means any running back ever drafted past the second round has no shot of becoming a starter. "Man those 85 coaches that cut Mostert and passed on him in the draft all saw what he had, why didn't they turn it over to him at any point in the last 5 years?"

Wasn't long ago that owners of the SF backfield were going back and forth over T. Coleman vs. M. Breida. Meanwhile, some unknown kept popping in showing flashes and stealing touches from both of them. The unknown (or lesser known) was Mostert.

Would not surprise me if history repeats itself and Hasty emerges. They don't want to pound McKinnon (and he can't) and Wilson is just a guy (who knows the system well). 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TheINC said:

This is the weakest argument I've ever seen. How many times in fantasy have we seen backup who have been on a team take a starter's role during the season and never look back. It happens ALL the time. Not to mention he is a rookie.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

Never heard of this guy until last week. Found this info on the Web for what it is worth. Looks like it is anyones guess how this all plays out going forward:

The 49ers have appeared to have struck gold with the undrafted free agent running back. Hasty was very productive at Baylor. The elusive and quick running back played in 45 games with 16 career starts. Hasty finished his career with 1,998 yards on 386 rushing attempts. This ranks 12th in school history. Hasty also accumulated 485 receiving yards which are the 10th most by a Baylor running back in school history. His 79 career receptions are the second-most by a running back in school history. Hasty had a Relative Athletic Score (RAS) of 6.72. This metrics and analytics system was created by Kent Platte. It takes into account player measurements and distills them to a 0-to-10 scale compared to their position group. It essentially measures the overall athleticism for a draft prospect. Hasty was ranked as the 19th-best running back for the year in RAS. He recorded the best shuttle-time (4.03 seconds) of any back at this year’s NFL Combine. There is some risk with Hasty considering how the 49ers have distributed opportunities at the running back position this season.

Jeff Wilson was inactive last week with a calf injury and Tevin Coleman is still recovering from a knee injury. It would be surprising to see the 49ers use McKinnon as a bell cow. Hasty will be involved in the 49ers running back by committee against the Patriots. San Francisco’s offensive line should be able to open running lanes against the Patriots’ front seven. The 49ers offensive line ranks ninth in PFF’s run blocking and generates an impressive 1.69 yards before contact. The Patriots gave up 101 rushing yards on 23 attempts to Broncos running back Phillip Lindsay last week. Hasty is firmly on the RB3 radar in Week 7.

• Thanks 1

So NE is giving up 119 rushing yards per game. Up from 101 last year. Some of that could be game flow. But they currently rank near the middle of the pack. Slightly better than average. 

SF averages 128 yards per game. And it’s fairly consistent across wins (132 ypg) and loses (123 ypg)

So with my fuzzy math, I think the Niners will have between 121 and 126 yards rushing. 

Looking at current season receiving stats, Niners average about 50 yards a game with RBs

I think the Niners RBs will have about 170 yards of offense and 1 TD. 

They signed him twice apparently so he won't be going back to the practice squad and he was protected, let's hope as fantasy owners we have struck gold here fellas

Edited by CABLE87

Lessee, lessee...

How to beat Belichick?  Air it out with GimpyG against the Patriots all-world corners and tricksy disguised coverage schemes?

Or smash 'em with the run game 35-40 times against that undersized front seven...

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

It's just another lotto ticket. Rather drop him after a terrible performance than try adding him after a great one. 

That's basically it. For most it wouldn't cost you much to find out. Especially if you have mckinnon like i do. Rather hedge my bet and ensure that if one pops off you have him already on the roster

• Like 1

Grant Cohn, a 49ers team reporter, loves Hasty and thinks he should be the starter. To piggy back what else a poster has said in this thread, Hasty reminds Cohn of Prime Freeman. Cohn was also tweeting during last game to put in Hasty. Right after that tweet, Hasty went in. Not to say Shanahan read the tweet, but goes to show that people are high on this guy. I am starting Hasty with confidence over McKinnon, but not with confidence that Hasty will have a monster game lol. 

6 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

So let me get this straight. Shanny be twatting during the game?? Now that’s some good shiyat right there dog. 

These young coaches bro, def be checking insta DMs for coaching advice mid-game. In a few years we'll have coaches doin tik toks on the sideline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2