Dirtywater97

Joshua Kelley 2020 Outlook

Nobody talking about this guy?

4th round pick by the Chargers. Ekeler isn't built to carry the complete load and neither is Jackson really who is hurt anyways. Lots of carries up for grabs with Gordon gone. Kelley is the biggest back on the roster, so at minimum he'll get some RZ love.

Already talk about how he has beat out Justin Jackson.

Beat reporters saying he had one of the best camps...

https://www.4for4.com/news/joshua-kelley-shining-camp

Player profiler rates him as very athletic...

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/joshua-kelley/

Giddy.  Up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Nobody talking about this guy?

4th round pick by the Chargers. Ekeler isn't built to carry the complete load and neither is Jackson really who is hurt anyways. Lots of carries up for grabs with Gordon gone. Kelley is the biggest back on the roster, so at minimum he'll get some RZ love.

Already talk about how he has beat out Justin Jackson.

Beat reporters saying he had one of the best camps...

https://www.4for4.com/news/joshua-kelley-shining-camp

Player profiler rates him as very athletic...

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/joshua-kelley/

Shhh I have two more dynasty drafts to go tomorrow to make it 100% ownership and need his value to stay deflated. With the news of Jackson hurting his foot today, I may have to reach for him.

Kelley unfairly got stuck with the negative label "jack-of-all trades, master of none" by the fantasy community when he actually profiles as a solid RB with a 3-down skill set. Sure, he's not as flashy as Taylor or Dobbins, but not every player has to have superstar potential to return solid value in fantasy.

I'm not convinced Ekeler is a between the tackle runner despite him getting ripped in the offseason. Kelley helps take the "hard yards" off him while also likely getting a shot at goal line carries and a mix of targets. Gordon leaving also opened a ton of opportunity in touches, and I don't think it all goes to Ekeler.

• Like 1

Ssssshhhhhh!

• Haha 1

Exciting stuff.  The reports say Kelley might struggle in pass protection.  Has anyone seen reports that address how the player has performed in that area in training camp?

Absolute upside? Capped in a committee? Or do they want a clear #2 like Gordon last year? Justin Jackson has always been pretty good when on the field, but being hurt again is no good. 

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Absolute upside? Capped in a committee? Or do they want a clear #2 like Gordon last year? Justin Jackson has always been pretty good when on the field, but being hurt again is no good. 

I recently added Kelley in a league but I think that when Jackson and Kelley are both healthy, Kelley will have minimal value.  If Ekeler were to get injured, it would likely be a committee of both Jackson and Kelley.

I don't think he gets Gordon type usage, but I could see 10-12 carries per game, with Ekeler in the 12-14 range. He has the potential for goal line work too. 

The number 2 RB in a Tyrod Taylor led offense isn’t that exciting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tenner said:

I raise you 1 Justin Herbert, more excitement or less. What say you ?

2 minutes ago, Tenner said:

The number 2 RB that should get around 150-180 touches going late/undrafted is very exciting.

• Thanks 1

Tyrod is very good for running games because he is a threat to run himself.  Kelley is a must-grab for deeper leagues and a watch list guy for regular size leagues.  Dynasty maybe meh.  Pac 12 backs have not gotten much love recently, and the Chargers did not invest a ton of draft capital here.

deleted

Edited by ludawg23

I'm really trying to decide between him and Jackson.  I always thought Jackson would be the front-runner to get carries but Kelley has been getting praise all training camp. 

4 minutes ago, nk2333 said:

I'm really trying to decide between him and Jackson.  I always thought Jackson would be the front-runner to get carries but Kelley has been getting praise all training camp. 

It's Kelley's job. Don't think twice about it. He fits the Gordon role much better than Jackson.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:46 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Exciting stuff.  The reports say Kelley might struggle in pass protection.  Has anyone seen reports that address how the player has performed in that area in training camp?

The Chargers offense ask their backs to block less than any team in the league--and by a large margin at that.

Not sure about Kelley specifically in that department. Or with general receiving prowess (caught only 11 balls last year).

But this kid can run it, silky cuts and quick acceleration. He has reportedly gotten better and better by the week and almost assuredly earned a role...and it might be a rather sizable role at that. You know Lynn wants to establish it as bad as any team in the league. This kid is in a smash spot given his moderately priced ADP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The Chargers offense ask their backs to block less than any team in the league--and by a large margin at that.

Not sure about Kelley specifically in that department. Or with general receiving prowess (caught only 11 balls last year).

But this kid can run it, silky cuts and quick acceleration. He has reportedly gotten better and better by the week and almost assuredly earned a role...and it might be a rather sizable role at that. You know Lynn wants to establish it as bad as any team in the league. This kid is in a smash spot given his moderately priced ADP.

great stuff 👍

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

8c3d1419581c8098e725bf10e1d955ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

He's sitting on my waiver wire in 12 team PPR. Any new news on him?

22 minutes ago, scheibler said:

He's sitting on my waiver wire in 12 team PPR. Any new news on him?

This just in:

you should pick him up lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

This just in:

you should pick him up lol

Lol really don't have anyone to drop