Dirtywater97

Joshua Kelley 2020 Outlook

12 minutes ago, n4sa said:

Justin Jackson is a nobody, if eats into anybody's touches it's going to be Ekeler.

you’re smoking crack if you think Ekeler’s touches would decrease with a healthy JJ.  Ekeler’s role is defined and JJ/Kelley would split the rest of the work as they are the in between the tackle RBs.

my hope is kelley becomes so dominant, forces coaches hand to just play him 60/40

• Like 1

Why does eckler get 10+ touches anyway? I haven’t seen a charger game yet, but I got this guy on the waiver 2 weeks ago and therefore I feel he’s superior to every other back on his team. he clearly deserves 25+ touches regardless of game script, otherwise the coach is a clown and should be fired. 

• Haha 6

Kelley has an uphill battle in the sense that he hasn't been particularly efficient with the volume the past few weeks, less Pouncey efficiency might be hard to come by, and Jackson could stand to cut into the volume.

THAT SAID, "the Gordon role" or "the Ekeler role" seems to me less applicable without Rivers, whether we're talking Taylor or Herbert starting, because Ekeler is more dynamic in the passing game and neither of them seem as excited to check down as was Phillip.

So, I think if Kelley can find a way to more efficiency behind the makeshift offensive line and keep Jackson out of the way, he could have some value.  But there are certainly challenges here.

1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

you’re smoking crack if you think Ekeler’s touches would decrease with a healthy JJ.  Ekeler’s role is defined and JJ/Kelley would split the rest of the work as they are the in between the tackle RBs.

Nobodies role is defined in this offense bro. No Rivers/Gordon and now we don't really even know who the starting QB is going to be any given week. Ekeler was being drafted in the 2nd round on the assumption that he was going to be getting his 15-20 touches per game. Which seems to be true but nobody was expecting Kelley to split carries with him 50/50 unless you really believed Kelley was going to be the Melvin Gordon of this offense. If that's the case, Ekeler is going to be the one that takes a back seat just like he did last year and the years before.

I personally don't think JJ is going to be much of a factor for either of these guys unless they need a breather.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, n4sa said:

Nobodies role is defined in this offense bro. No Rivers/Gordon and now we don't really even know who the starting QB is going to be any given week. Ekeler was being drafted in the 2nd round on the assumption that he was going to be getting his 15-20 touches per game. Which seems to be true but nobody was expecting Kelley to split carries with him 50/50 unless you really believed Kelley was going to be the Melvin Gordon of this offense. If that's the case, Ekeler is going to be the one that takes a back seat just like he did last year and the years before.

I personally don't think JJ is going to be much of a factor for either of these guys unless they need a breather.

Ekeler is their “space”/pass catching guy - that is clear to me given that he excelled in that role last year and he got paid in the offseason.  Dude is a top 3 pass catching RB in the league.  He will never be a fulltime guy who will tote the rock 25+ times - even he said his body wouldn’t hold up but after 2 games, he averages 20 touches per game and people who drafted in him the 2nd round are hoping for more receptions with those touches.  He has been much more efficient than Kelley although Kelley is the clear GL back right now and between the tackles guy.

If JJ didn’t get hurt, he would be siphoning work from Kelley.

Chargers seem to have a solid defense but we are only two games into the season where game script has been friendly to Kelley’s workload.  You will most likely see another game where he gets heavy carries since they are favored.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, n4sa said:

Kelley basically caps Ekeler's ceiling of being an RB1.

Instead you got yourself an RB2 with high upside. Blows for those who spent a 1st/2nd rounder on him. 

But that's the reality of it. 

As far as Kelley goes, I mean we're barely going into week 3 and he's getting a ton of volume already. 

+ Herbert was a nice surprise. They might not be so bad on offense as we all suspected. 

Fantasy arrow pointing straight up. 

• Like 4

As long as games are close and Josh doesn’t get game scripted out, RB2/Flex weekly.

Has there been any point in the first two games where Kelley was left out for a long period because of passing situations (IE two minute drill?)?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoho2011 said:

Start over Mixon for Week 3?

Sorry, will check over at the Assistant.

Debating him McKinnon and Slayton in lot. Behind after Thursday need upside over floor

On 9/25/2020 at 8:03 PM, Jrt80 said:

Why does eckler get 10+ touches anyway? I haven’t seen a charger game yet, but I got this guy on the waiver 2 weeks ago and therefore I feel he’s superior to every other back on his team. he clearly deserves 25+ touches regardless of game script, otherwise the coach is a clown and should be fired. 

gfPh2lYN0l63AQn6QjB0TbKIeDwTXA4aSo=

• Thanks 1

Forced to start like many but I can't believe the way analysts are flipping absolutely FLIPPING over him for this weekend. Feels like a set up for a rage drop.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Forced to start like many but I can't believe the way analysts are flipping absolutely FLIPPING over him for this weekend. Feels like a set up for a rage drop.

Huh? Dude got 23 carries last week. He's playing a soft run D as a high volume rusher/goal-line back... and they're favored to win. What's not to like? He's tough to sit unless you're absolutely stacked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In ppr what do we project for him this week?

My worry is he will get 18 carries for 86 yards and 50% chance of TD. This is good but worth no receptions is OK in Ppr.

By comparison McKinnon another popular play this week might have same number of yardsbut will catch five balls too. 

In standard I love him though. 

Edited by CanaBuc

I have McKinnon, Jonnu and Kelley and just one starter spot for one of them on my roster. 

Someone is going to massively blow up while on my bench. 

• Like 1

dude has value.. for me, drafted him as an ekeler handcuff.  cant see myself starting both week to week.  its a nightmare scenario 

1 hour ago, candygram4mongo said:

I have McKinnon, Jonnu and Kelley and just one starter spot for one of them on my roster. 

Someone is going to massively blow up while on my bench. 

id lean kelley - average 18 touches, goal line work and panthers def gives you a safe floor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Huh? Dude got 23 carries last week. He's playing a soft run D as a high volume rusher/goal-line back... and they're favored to win. What's not to like? He's tough to sit unless you're absolutely stacked.

I do like. But I wouldn’t be starting him over McCaffrey and Mostert if I didn’t have to, and the certitude of high production in such a small sample size, in a timeshare with an incumbent “stud”, and an offense still finding its identity, is suspect to me.