Dirtywater97

Joshua Kelley 2020 Outlook

10 minutes ago, street sharks said:

How we feeling about Kelley vs Jackson?

They'll use both backs, but Kelley will get the bulk of the workload. Kelly has shown burst and pass-catching chops out of the backfield. Some will want to mention his poor efficiency metrics against the Chiefs and Bucs, but against the Chiefs the Chargers were in obvious run situations because they were leading most of the game and the Bucs boast the #2 run defense in the league. (Chargers were also missing RT Bryan Bulaga last week). The coach loves him and continued to use him after his second fumble in as many weeks.

I think Jackson is solid, I rostered him during Melvin's Gordon's hold out last year, but is better suited as a COP back. He's a pretty injury prone guy. He's a dual threat RB though.

I'm thinking the snaps will be 65%-35% Kelley with him dominating goal line touches as well.

• Like 2

Have to mention though, I think if Kelly fumbles again he'll be riding the pine.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'd imagine Kelley gets the most touches to kick it off, but they will probably roll with the hot hand going forward.

Now the key question - do I start him this week lol? Would prefer to wait a week, but my roster is half injured and I might have to just YOLO start Kelley in the flex.

Edited by harck

21 minutes ago, harck said:

Yeah I'd imagine Kelley gets the most touches to kick it off, but they will probably roll with the hot hand going forward.

Now the key question - do I start him this week lol? Would prefer to wait a week, but my roster is half injured and I might have to just YOLO start Kelley in the flex.

With the Bills v Titans looking unlikely, I might have to roll him out. Always fun having players on MNF anyway 

34 minutes ago, USWAY said:

Have to mention though, I think if Kelly fumbles again he'll be riding the pine.

That is my concern as well, which opens the door for Jackson.   

• Like 1

For some reason he gives me Montgomery vibes. Doesn’t do anything spectacular and is a volume based play. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

After this week against NO, his schedule is so juicy for RBs until the bye (Jets, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Raiders). Definitely gonna be rolling him out then week

Edited by jpark211

Today's Kelley nugget from Fantrax:

"An 80th percentile 40-yard dash, better than Alvin Kamara. A 77th percentile speed score, better than Christian McCaffrey. A 68th percentile agility score and 74th percentile bench press, both better than Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry. Workout metrics are far from perfect, but it’s clear that Joshua Kelley does not lack talent. Now, with starting running back Austin Ekeler out for several weeks, Kelley will have no shortage of opportunity. If you’re worried about splits with Justin Jackson, let me remind you that in Week 4, Jackson saw 9 fewer snaps and on the season, Jackson has a total of 25 scrimmage yards and 1.6 yards per rush in his 2 games.

Meanwhile, in Kelley’s first two weeks, he got 35 carries and 173 scrimmage yards and on the season, Kelley is averaging 3.3 yards per carry — all that with Ekeler around. Kelley is the clear RB1 on the team and as long as he can keep the ball secure, he can immediately slot into a FLEX role or, in some cases, as an RB2. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

FIXED. 

look, i dig this kid ... have him in all my leegs, BUT - don't think for a second a red azz like Lynn wouldn't have sat him down today for Jackson, if he were healthy.

If this was true, then we should be selling high on the kid huh? 

• Thanks 1

Will be very interested to see the split this Sunday. I do think Lynn is high on Kelley, but I do think they end up going near 50/50 then ride the hot hand.

3 hours ago, Mrmann1 said:

If this was true, then we should be selling high on the kid huh? 

i was couching that comment pursuant to the context of that particular game, champ ... JJ was on ice - had he not been, then, yeah ... red azz woulda sat the rook. 

is it a worry going forward? damn straight it is ... not inasmuch that he'll be relegated to palookaville, mind you - he's too talented for that. 

but in the framework of ceding more of the pie to JJ?  yes. to think otherwise is a fool's errand.

they went out and signed the Blancmange himself, so there is no direct threat to usurp Kelley outta his role even in the worst case scenario. 

as far as selling?  well, it's a game of chicken, in'nnit?

he may be at his all-time high atm ... the squeamish may wanna bail given that reality - i wouldn't blame 'em if they can bolster a roster hole by doing so. 

but ...

JJ gets injured.  often. 

Blancmange is a tool. 

red azz has finally committed to Herbert - maybe he wooed mgmnt into viewing this season as a "mulligan", seeing as how it's now gonna be "let's play the kidz, we got a great future here!"

meh. 

i don't think JJ factors long term for this franchise ... Kelley does - ya feelin' lucky?

i am holding.  he stays put. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i was couching that comment pursuant to the context of that particular game, champ ... JJ was on ice - had he not been, then, yeah ... red azz woulda sat the rook. 

is it a worry going forward? damn straight it is ... not inasmuch that he'll be relegated to palookaville, mind you - he's too talented for that. 

but in the framework of ceding more of the pie to JJ?  yes. to think otherwise is a fool's errand.

they went out and signed the Blancmange himself, so there is no direct threat to usurp Kelley outta his role even in the worst case scenario. 

as far as selling?  well, it's a game of chicken, in'nnit?

he may be at his all-time high atm ... the squeamish may wanna bail given that reality - i wouldn't blame 'em if they can bolster a roster hole by doing so. 

but ...

JJ gets injured.  often. 

Blancmange is a tool. 

red azz has finally committed to Herbert - maybe he wooed mgmnt into viewing this season as a "mulligan", seeing as how it's now gonna be "let's play the kidz, we got a great future here!"

meh. 

i don't think JJ factors long term for this franchise ... Kelley does - ya feelin' lucky?

i am holding.  he stays put. 

Itz hrd to read ya sentences bruh. Plz traih to write normal for uzzz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, harck said:

Will be very interested to see the split this Sunday. I do think Lynn is high on Kelley, but I do think they end up going near 50/50 then ride the hot hand.

*Monday night

3 minutes ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

80/20 split... 80-100 n a TD 2-3 catches 30 yards

o_O What makes you so confident in this? Would love for Kelley to get a workload like that, but 80/20 for a rookie?

6 minutes ago, Strikeforce316 said:

Jackson will get the bulk.

Fumbles are bad, especially in the NFL.

safe to say you're not the cat responsible for this take ...

>>>With Austin Ekeler now on IR and out for the foreseeable future, Chargers beat writer for The Athletic believes Joshua Kelley

will receive the “bulk of the work” and “goal-line snaps” while getting 65 percent of the touches. (Daniel Popper on Twitter)<<<

🤔

• Like 2

Will Kelley get the snaps when Chargers are down 2 scores? 

On the ground I think Kelley will be TD dependant. Like 9 rushes for 30 yards. 

18 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Will Kelley get the snaps when Chargers are down 2 scores? 

On the ground I think Kelley will be TD dependant. Like 9 rushes for 30 yards. 

Sure.  You’re worried about that against a Saints team that has looked honestly pretty bad for the most part against a tough D?

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Sure.  You’re worried about that against a Saints team that has looked honestly pretty bad for the most part against a tough D?

ShrillSelfreliantGoldenretriever-size_re

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

safe to say you're not the cat responsible for this take ...

>>>With Austin Ekeler now on IR and out for the foreseeable future, Chargers beat writer for The Athletic believes Joshua Kelley

will receive the “bulk of the work” and “goal-line snaps” while getting 65 percent of the touches. (Daniel Popper on Twitter)<<<

🤔

Interesting..... CLEARLY that beat writer read my post from the top of the page on Wednesday 😂

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes. They haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher in about 4-5 years. Currently 6th in total rush yards allowed and tied for 4th in YPC this year. Toss in what I think will be a negative game script and yes...this game should present obvious concerns. Which is why I am curious to see which rb will get the 2-minute drill, hurry up, play from behind passing sets. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Yes. They haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher in about 4-5 years. Currently 6th in total rush yards allowed and tied for 4th in YPC this year. Toss in what I think will be a negative game script and yes...this game should present obvious concerns. Which is why I am curious to see which rb will get the 2-minute drill, hurry up, play from behind passing sets. 

Concerns I get, yes.  But you seemed to suggest they would be leading by so much that script would become an issue - I’m not sure I agree based on what I’ve seen and what they’ve produced on offense.

31 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Which is why I am curious to see which rb will get the 2-minute drill, hurry up, play from behind passing sets. 

the Blancmange? 

🤔

• Thanks 1

Justin Jackson is 100% the back to own. Hes back from injury and def the back to own in PPR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3