oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

Didn't see a topic about this. 

Curious how any GM's/players are going to prefer to handle any sort of COVID game cancellations/reschedulings. 

My biggest fear is a Monday Night game getting cancelled/rescheduled on a Monday morning and 6-8 players being involved. Anyone have any crafty ideas on how to handle this? Obviously any teams with players from those two teams would be impacted. Is the solution really, "too bad, sucks for you". 

I find it would be incredibly annoying to somehow manage this, going back to that week whenever they play the makeup game. Especially if the team is forced to reschedule more than one game. Would the NFL allow them to play the following Sunday if they were quarantined on a Monday? 

• Like 1

I fully expect players to be going on Covid-IR for two weeks here and there, perhaps frequently. An entire game being cancelled, I do not expect, however it is a good forward thought to plan for.  How I handled the first point is to keep it as simple as possible with as little interference as possible by me, the commish. I awarded an extra roster spot and an extra ir spot.  At that point, managers are responsible to manage their teams the best they can. 

Your thought about entire games being cancelled...that's a toughie.  But thinking it through alittle now, I don't know if there's a better solution than "too bad, sucks for you." While it's possible a few games get cancelled outright, I don't think games would be rescheduled as it complicates the league schedule.  But I suppose if it gets out of hand, they can extend the regular season to make up games.  That would infact be a disaster for fantasy, but I think it's a low probability of it happening.  

Edited by mikeflavaz

2 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

While it's possible a few games get cancelled outright, I don't think games would be rescheduled as it complicates the league schedule

My fear is what we've seen from baseball so far. Generally if one player or coach comes down with the COVID, they need to quarantine the entire team for X amount of days. 

I really fear fantasy being heavily impacted and, with a lot of money on the line for people, this year may end up being ruined. 

I think anything is possible.  Some things more likely than others.  I always thought this year would be somewhat similar to a strike season.  Perhaps a team's entire rb cores tests positive for covid and the team has to essentially sign guys off the street.  I think you'll be seeing alot of practice squad players being called up here and there. I believe the NFL will do nearly anything to not outright cancel games though this all remains to be seen.  As a yahoo commish, I don't think I have the ability to "go back" and add in player's stats for a prior week if games get rescheduled.  And, if they get canceled, there's not much I can do either.  It sort of is what it is.  

I think there have been threads that blanket cover some of this, but I can see you are being more specific here too.

The NFL protocols are very on point, and even more encouraging is how the players are adhering to them. Funny how we are no longer seeing the 'shut-it-down' posters anymore, huh? We got 3 guys on the COVID list at this point, but I certainly grant you that when they start the season and traveling that guys will pop up on the list. The nice thing, as opposed to college, is they travel on private jets and don't need to go thru the same populated areas of the airport, they then get on private coach buses everywhere and have off-area entrances to hotels where they have private floors etc. All of these measures help, as does only having to do this 8 times a year (home and back). Plus the likely application of the Yale (NBA funded) saliva quick tests that can deliver results in mere minutes.

I guess my specific advice is something that we have used for many years in my higher stakes leagues. Before every Thurs (when applicable) or Sun noon kick we put up a timestamped message saying we would start this player from our bench in case this starter is deemed inactive. It all started from teams playing games on injury reports, in these deeper leagues it was often too difficult to obtain a feasible backup option for a guy that was Q for a Monday night game and this gave us a fail-safe from taking a zero and kept things on the level. I am sure some people will speak out against this on general principle, but it has worked really well for my leagues and is even more practical given the virus could be a headache for us fantasy players week-to-week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

Didn't see a topic about this. 

Curious how any GM's/players are going to prefer to handle any sort of COVID game cancellations/reschedulings. 

My biggest fear is a Monday Night game getting cancelled/rescheduled on a Monday morning and 6-8 players being involved. Anyone have any crafty ideas on how to handle this? Obviously any teams with players from those two teams would be impacted. Is the solution really, "too bad, sucks for you". 

I find it would be incredibly annoying to somehow manage this, going back to that week whenever they play the makeup game. Especially if the team is forced to reschedule more than one game. Would the NFL allow them to play the following Sunday if they were quarantined on a Monday? 

If a game is postponed, the only way they can play it is if they move one team's bye to the other's and play on that bye week.  If either or both teams have had their bye, when do they play?  An NFL team cannot play two games in the same week.  The players would be dead.  And they can't just outright cancel a game because then how do you figure out who makes the playoffs?  Not fair for a team that plays 15 games to make the playoffs over a team that plays 16.

I'm going to assume that the league has some sort of contingency that we don't know about.  Maybe they cancel and it's counted as a tie?  I dunno.

Ultimately, one of two things will happen.  They will be able to reschedule to later, and you are screwed for that week.  The positive is that you do get your players for that rescheduled week, where you would have lost them due to bye.  Hopefully any game cancellation would be in advance and you can put another player in your lineup.

If they outright cancel, then I think you are just screwed.  Again, hopefully you have enough time to pick up a guy or put a bench guy in your lineup.  If it's a last minute scratch, then it's the equivalent of your player being a surprise inactive.

13 minutes ago, kp96 said:

If a game is postponed, the only way they can play it is if they move one team's bye to the other's and play on that bye week.  If either or both teams have had their bye, when do they play?  An NFL team cannot play two games in the same week.  The players would be dead.  And they can't just outright cancel a game because then how do you figure out who makes the playoffs?  Not fair for a team that plays 15 games to make the playoffs over a team that plays 16.

I'm going to assume that the league has some sort of contingency that we don't know about.  Maybe they cancel and it's counted as a tie?  I dunno.

Ultimately, one of two things will happen.  They will be able to reschedule to later, and you are screwed for that week.  The positive is that you do get your players for that rescheduled week, where you would have lost them due to bye.  Hopefully any game cancellation would be in advance and you can put another player in your lineup.

If they outright cancel, then I think you are just screwed.  Again, hopefully you have enough time to pick up a guy or put a bench guy in your lineup.  If it's a last minute scratch, then it's the equivalent of your player being a surprise inactive.

I hear ya. Imagine having a Mahomes-Hill-CEH stack and the KC game gets scratched, even worse after there bye has occurred. Scary feeling. 

5 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I hear ya. Imagine having a Mahomes-Hill-CEH stack and the KC game gets scratched, even worse after there bye has occurred. Scary feeling. 

Actually, now that I think through it more, I have a hard time seeing how they can reschedule a game unless both teams already have the same bye.

Say Team A has a week 6 bye and Team B has a week 10 bye.  Their week 2 game gets postponed.  So, Team A has a bye week 6 and could play, but Team B is already scheduled to play week 6 against another opponent (Team C).  So if Team B plays Team A in week 6, when do they play Team C?  Now the week 6 game between B and C has to be rescheduled.  I suppose they could keep moving games until they get two teams with a week 10 bye lined up, but that is just a logistical mess.  The only plus is that there will be no fans so it's not like a family who has made travel plans for that weekend is now screwed.

Has the NFL come out and said what their plans are for these scenarios?  I'm sure we're not the only ones wondering.

4 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Actually, now that I think through it more, I have a hard time seeing how they can reschedule a game unless both teams already have the same bye.

Say Team A has a week 6 bye and Team B has a week 10 bye.  Their week 2 game gets postponed.  So, Team A has a bye week 6 and could play, but Team B is already scheduled to play week 6 against another opponent (Team C).  So if Team B plays Team A in week 6, when do they play Team C?  Now the week 6 game between B and C has to be rescheduled.  I suppose they could keep moving games until they get two teams with a week 10 bye lined up, but that is just a logistical mess.  The only plus is that there will be no fans so it's not like a family who has made travel plans for that weekend is now screwed.

Has the NFL come out and said what their plans are for these scenarios?  I'm sure we're not the only ones wondering.

I don't think so. ESPN is allowing "COVID ineligible" players to be placed in IR spots, but that will only really help if you know going into a weekend a player is not going to be able to play - no different than any other injury. Whole teams not playing is a completely different story. 

I would approach it this way:

You are taking a greater risk starting a player Monday night during non COVID years, the risk is just greater this year so manage your team accordingly. There is no practical way for a commissioner to mitigate this during the season.

The best solution that I have heard is if the season really starts to go to sh*t, just roll the money over to next year. That way you can still give the season a go this year and if it works, great, if not no problem. I think it is vital to try to set the parameters for rolling the season $ over before the season starts though.

Everyone needs to agree that they accept, say, they could be down 2 players every single week due to COVID, and COVID only, but if a team or teams are down more than 2 players every week due to COVID it really just becomes a race to the waiver wire to see who hits on the best lottery tickets and that isn’t really any fun or fair. 

And, yes, I would definitely add 2 bench spots rather than trying to manage “COVID IR” spots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I think there have been threads that blanket cover some of this, but I can see you are being more specific here too.

The NFL protocols are very on point, and even more encouraging is how the players are adhering to them. Funny how we are no longer seeing the 'shut-it-down' posters anymore, huh? We got 3 guys on the COVID list at this point, but I certainly grant you that when they start the season and traveling that guys will pop up on the list. The nice thing, as opposed to college, is they travel on private jets and don't need to go thru the same populated areas of the airport, they then get on private coach buses everywhere and have off-area entrances to hotels where they have private floors etc. All of these measures help, as does only having to do this 8 times a year (home and back). Plus the likely application of the Yale (NBA funded) saliva quick tests that can deliver results in mere minutes.

I guess my specific advice is something that we have used for many years in my higher stakes leagues. Before every Thurs (when applicable) or Sun noon kick we put up a timestamped message saying we would start this player from our bench in case this starter is deemed inactive. It all started from teams playing games on injury reports, in these deeper leagues it was often too difficult to obtain a feasible backup option for a guy that was Q for a Monday night game and this gave us a fail-safe from taking a zero and kept things on the level. I am sure some people will speak out against this on general principle, but it has worked really well for my leagues and is even more practical given the virus could be a headache for us fantasy players week-to-week.

I know right? The sky is falling type of maniacal behavior they relentlessly displayed was absurd. Sure guys will crop up on the list but I'd reckon to say people, life is adjusting to it all and we're at the halfway point with things. So they will work it all out just as I said the whole time , and glad to see the players adhering to the protocol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I don't think so. ESPN is allowing "COVID ineligible" players to be placed in IR spots, but that will only really help if you know going into a weekend a player is not going to be able to play - no different than any other injury. Whole teams not playing is a completely different story. 

So I'm watching this video - https://www.nbcsports.com/video/could-nfl-cancel-individual-games-due-covid-19

It's long and a lot of it is not relevant, but they are saying that the NFL would postpone and play them week 18 or week 19 if they didn't share a bye week.  That makes sense from the NFL's perspective, but we are screwed.  .

If that were to happen, you really have no choice but to treat it as though your players are injured that week since obviously there are no week 18 games.  You can't wait for the results....the fantasy playoffs are week 15 and 16.  If you have a pending result, you don't know who made the playoffs.

Ultimately, the only reasonable solution is to treat it like an injury to your players.  It's another random risk factor, but fantasy football is full of them.  As long as everyone in your league knows that this could happen, it's fair.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

This in itself has happened in the past decades, usually because of weather/natural disasters (most recently in 2017):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_NFL_games

Thanks for this.  It looks like, based on precedent, that they would simply put the game into a week 18.  We're screwed.

I'm commissioner in my league and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna say "We will follow however the website handles the situation."  Most likely, you will be screwed but that's a risk everyone is taking.

I have a feeling someone is paying someone off alot of money to keep any Confirmed Positive test on the HUSH HUSH.

2 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

I have a feeling someone is paying someone off alot of money to keep any Confirmed Positive test on the HUSH HUSH.

For your sake I really hope you're joking

Edited by Savatage79
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

For your sake I really hope you're joking

no, im not. Its just very surprising we have had only 10 cases they say.. I do hope that it really has been only 10 cases as I love watching football.. Im just super surprised we have not had much if any cases at all. hmmm

The MLB apparently didnt find the right person to keep their positive cases on the hush hush. the have case after case after case...and somehow the nfl players havent caught it? im just surprised 

1 hour ago, SyNdicateZ said:

no, im not. Its just very surprising we have had only 10 cases they say.. I do hope that it really has been only 10 cases as I love watching football.. Im just super surprised we have not had much if any cases at all. hmmm

The MLB apparently didnt find the right person to keep their positive cases on the hush hush. the have case after case after case...and somehow the nfl players havent caught it? im just surprised 

Or maybe they're just following protocol 

• Thanks 1

Here’s what we implemented in my league in terms of game(s) being cancelled or individual players out due to Covid (we already determined that makeup games would be virtually impossible and if they do make them up, too late to really have those players stats retroactive to prior weeks):

1) Must have a minimum of 10 full NFL weeks to make the season official. If not, money rolls over to next season.

2) If there is ONE game cancelled for the week, every Individual matchup will revert to best ball format for that week. This would help mitigate a Sunday night or Monday night cancellation where the options for players would be minimal. It’s only fair that every matchup revert to best ball.

3) If TWO or more NFL games are cancelled in a week, that week shall be cancelled and our league will then officially move to a straight 16 week season (or UP to 16 weeks with a minimum of 10 weeks to be official) and payouts will consist of 1st through 5th place standings (12 team league). Playoff pool money to be allocated and distributed to 1st thru 5th place regular season. The reason for cancelling the entire week if 2 games are cancelled is it would be difficult to field a starting lineup with 4 teams out (when you consider bye weeks as well).

4) If one game is cancelled, teams will be allowed to pick up a replacement player (same position) for that week. Teams will pick players based on standings in snake style order until all slots are replaced. Those players, however, must be released once the week is over.

5) Unlimited Covid IR spots: As soon as a player is declared Covid positive, the team owner shall be allowed to pick up a replacement player. HOWEVER, once the Covid player is back and declared active, the SAME player picked up must be released. Since we have unlimited Covid spots, it would be unfair if teams are able to get a “league winner” they normally would have not gotten if it weren’t for Covid. Once the player is released, he will go to through our waiver process. Covid pickups are free of charge.

Those are some of the basic rules implemented. Have more specific details if anyone is interested. Hope this helps some of you guys out there. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

Or maybe they're just following protocol 

Perhaps. :)

I really don’t think we have to worry about games being cancelled. NFLs done a great job with this following the original botching 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one thing I plan on doing is when making start/sit decisions, in the case of a tiebreak defer to the guy playing on Sunday instead of Monday. If a game gets cancelled on Sunday at least you have an opportunity to scramble for a guy going Sunday/Monday night but if a Monday game gets cancelled, you're screwed. 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:21 PM, Sonny_D said:

5) Unlimited Covid IR spots: As soon as a player is declared Covid positive, the team owner shall be allowed to pick up a replacement player. HOWEVER, once the Covid player is back and declared active, the SAME player picked up must be released. Since we have unlimited Covid spots, it would be unfair if teams are able to get a “league winner” they normally would have not gotten if it weren’t for Covid. Once the player is released, he will go to through our waiver process. Covid pickups are free of charge.

We thought about this. Curious if you have considered coaches and "gamesmanship".  What if Teams are not completely honest abut Covid designations?  what if they just deactivate a player?  Can you IR him?  Are you tracking this manually, or are you relying on your software for the designation?