oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

Unfortunately, this likely won't be the first time a game gets canceled due to a covid outbreak. I have a feeling those of us in leagues with small benches will be taking a lot of forfeits this year. It's not like you can just drop Steelers position players like Conner/Juju/Deonte/Ben

• Thanks 1

Other than the fact that it is unexpected, assuming they are able to reschedule the game for later than this year, how is this any different than a normal bye week situation? You don't dump all of your bye week guys into IR spots. I just look at it as these two teams had their bye weeks moved up, and we deal with bye weeks every year as managers. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, atdharris said:

Unfortunately, this likely won't be the first time a game gets canceled due to a covid outbreak. I have a feeling those of us in leagues with small benches will be taking a lot of forfeits this year. It's not like you can just drop Steelers position players like Conner/Juju/Deonte/Ben

I dont get this. Would you have dropped them during their week 7 bye? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, acn1315 said:

Other than the fact that it is unexpected, assuming they are able to reschedule the game for later than this year, how is this any different than a normal bye week situation? You don't dump all of your bye week guys into IR spots. I just look at it as these two teams had their bye weeks moved up, and we deal with bye weeks every year as managers. 

Exactly. Out of all the possible scenarios that could have happened this one isn't the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, yanksman said:

No, but I am making the assumption that this won't be the first game cancelled/postponed due to covid. We may be in situations where multiples games are moved in a single week.

This seems like the best option. Hopefully this is the plan...

PIT/TEN - week 4 bye

PIT/TEN - play week 7 (TEN original bye) BAL bye moved to week 7

PIT/BAL play week 8 (both teams original byes, instead of week 7), TEN/CIN as scheduled

Only 3 teams affected on the schedule 

🤞

• Like 5

1 minute ago, atdharris said:

No, but I am making the assumption that this won't be the first game cancelled/postponed due to covid. We may be in situations where multiples games are moved in a single week.

Yep. We all knew what we were getting into and knew this season would be more than a crapshoot than ever. Putting players on IR when games are canceled makes little to no sense to me though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, acn1315 said:

5 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Exactly. Out of all the possible scenarios that could have happened this one isn't the end of the world.

Not necessarily "no different" than a normal bye week. I'm in a 2 QB league, and my 2 QBs are Ben and Tannehill. In no world EVER would I have them both as my QBs if I knew they had the same bye. On top of that, I have Diontae and Jonnu. Again, I wouldn't stack this many players on the same bye week, and if I did, I would make sure to have contingencies in plan before that week came up.

I do agree with Yanks statement in that I'm really not THAT upset by this. Go ahead and take the L this week, but then be set for byes for the rest of the year, and don't have to worry about trying to find or hold a 3rd QB.

It's really not the worst thing in the world. Just gotta take your lumps this week.

3 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

This seems like the best option. Hopefully this is the plan...

PIT/TEN - week 4 bye

PIT/TEN - play week 7 (TEN original bye) BAL bye moved to week 7

PIT/BAL play week 8 (both teams original byes, instead of week 7), TEN/CIN as scheduled

Only 3 teams affected on the schedule 

🤞

Yeah this makes too much sense to not happen. It is fortunate that it's that simple.

Things are going to be untenable once we begin to get past teams' BYE weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atdharris said:

Yeah, this is very likely to cause bigger issues as the season goes along. I won't be surprised if the raiders are the next team after their idiotic public appearances. There are going to be some players exposing themselves from sheer stupidity, and others who just draw some bad luck. But for now this specific Steelers Titans game is a pretty easy fix.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Yeah, this is very likely to cause bigger issues as the season goes along. I won't be surprised if the raiders are the next team after their idiotic public appearances. There are going to be some players exposing themselves from sheer stupidity, and others who just draw some bad luck. But for now this specific Steelers Titans game is a pretty easy fix.

New fantasy 3 step strategy:

1. Follow as many players as you can on social media.

2. Wait until they go live or post some stupid stuff showing them partying with no masks and social distancing.

3. Trade their a** asap. LMAO

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Planning ahead for a known bye versus being hit with a surprise one.  Due to other injuries on my bench already I only had one meh option just to barely field a full starting lineup in one league, and have to drop a useful player in another league to field a defense with three players and D/ST having an impromptu bye.

However I agree, it's not fair to classify all players missing the game as IR eligible when they're not losing a game overall and no longer have a bye going forward.  Still, you have to consider how much it's going to suck if you are put on the spot with a bunch of players suddenly missing a game.  But like you said in your next post, I also agree that we knew what we were getting into and just have to deal with it and make do as best we can.  All things considered it could be a lot worse, and it's great that there hasn't been any known spread to the opposing team.

Anyone want to switch from talking about the what and start focusing on solutions? 

I'm interested to know what other leagues are doing to combat this. 

I believe attacking it early and putting safeguards in is the way to go, because I find it unlikely this is the last time this will be an issue this season and I want to have safe guards in place to prevent further issues down the road. 

• Like 1

I'm not doing anything. There's no point in bending over backwards to account for a little more variance. You either manage your way out of a bad week or you don't.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I'm not doing anything. There's no point in bending over backwards to account for a little more variance. You either manage your way out of a bad week or you don't.

You don't think by the time week 7 comes around this becomes unmanageable?

Hard to believe that this will be a one off event for the entire season.

What happens the next time Titans or Steelers have a situation?

I foresee a lot of schedule reshuffling and additional weeks tacked onto the end of season if this is the solution the NFL has decided each time there's a situation that arises.

I want to be ahead of the issue pro-actively planning versus being reactionary all season trying to put out fires.

The sooner my leagues know and understand the new rules put into place the better, then we are all on the same page as a unit together from now until week 16.

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You don't think by the time week 7 comes around this becomes unmanageable?

Hard to believe that this will be a one off event for the entire season.

What happens the next time Titans or Steelers have a situation?

I foresee a lot of schedule reshuffling and additional weeks tacked onto the end of season if this is the solution the NFL has decided each time there's a situation that arises.

I want to be ahead of the issue pro-actively planning versus being reactionary all season trying to put out fires.

The sooner my leagues know and understand the new rules put into place the better, then we are all on the same page as a unit together from now until week 16.

If this is a snowball affect then either the NFL will reassess policies and teams will be playing in riskier situations around COVID (less shutdowns for cases of positives) or the season is just going to be straight up cancelled / postponed. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

If this is a snowball affect then either the NFL will reassess policies and teams will be playing in riskier situations around COVID (less shutdowns for cases of positives) or the season is just going to be straight up cancelled / postponed. 

Or additional weeks added on to the back end.

I hear what you're saying and your point might be valid.

With that said, the Title of this thread is COVID LEAGUE PLANS.

I can't stop you from talking about what you want to talk about, but I'd like to hear some solutions.

In today's society everyone complains and throws fuel on the fire, but very few work to put out the fires or create solutions to stop the fire from spreading and going out of control.

I'd like to hear what people's leagues are doing to combat the potential side effects that could arise from these issues we will be facing in the coming future.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 1

Safeguards should have been in place before the season even started. Switching up your league settings on the fly to accommodate someone not being able to play James Conner or Derrick Henry this week is bush league.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Or additional weeks added on to the back end.

I hear what you're saying and your point might be valid.

With that said, the Title of this thread is COVID LEAGUE PLANS.

I can't stop you from talking about what you want to talk about, but I'd like to hear some solutions.

In today's society everyone complains and throws fuel on the fire, but very few work to put out the fires or create solutions to stop the firing from spreading and going out of control.

I'd like to hear what people's leagues are doing to combat the potential side effects that could arise from these issues we will be facing in the coming future.

I'm not trying to add "fuel to the fire", but literally you are asking for solutions to an unprecedented situation. You should probably ask your league mates / commissioner about their thoughts around the situation and come up with a game plan there.

If your league wants to add more bench spots, great do it.

If they want to add special bench spots for only covid postponed players, great do it.

There's a countless number of ways to go about "finding a solution". Including doing nothing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I think that's the way to go.

We all knew this was an unfortunate possibility this year.

Is getting a 0 (hopefully it's just one) that different than a normal week?

Going into this year if you had the strategy of avoiding multiple players on one team it could prove to be a real advantage if this season finishes and we see more flare ups.

30 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Planning ahead for a known bye versus being hit with a surprise one.  Due to other injuries on my bench already I only had one meh option just to barely field a full starting lineup in one league, and have to drop a useful player in another league to field a defense with three players and D/ST having an impromptu bye.

However I agree, it's not fair to classify all players missing the game as IR eligible when they're not losing a game overall and no longer have a bye going forward.  Still, you have to consider how much it's going to suck if you are put on the spot with a bunch of players suddenly missing a game.  But like you said in your next post, I also agree that we knew what we were getting into and just have to deal with it and make do as best we can.  All things considered it could be a lot worse, and it's great that there hasn't been any known spread to the opposing team.

having the "bye" come earlier than expected does force some difficult decisions (coupled with injuries). You may not have the luxury of keeping high profile bench stashes while you wait to see how things are sorted out or hit the jackpot with an early season injury to a starter. Those with the Pollards, Edmonds, Mattisons may have to drop those guys just to field a full team. I'll be interested to see what they do with players that would get the "O" (out) designation on the postponed game. I have AJ Brown, and he was most likely going to be "O" again, which allows me in Yahoo to put him in an IR slot (at least the way our league is set up). Now that the game has been postponed, I feel like he'll probably just stay on "Q". Stinks, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UVA_Drew said:

It's really not the worst thing in the world. Just gotta take your lumps this week.

OR....just win the whole F'n thing. 

• Like 3