oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

3 hours ago, chouffe said:

Are you referring to actual NFL teams and coaches not disclosing Covid positive players? Personally, I don’t see that happening. BUT if it does and a team simply declares a player out (non Covid related), then no, that player will only be allowed to be placed in a regular IR slot, if they still have one available. We only allow 1 IR slot. 

If you’re referring to fantasy team owners manipulating the system, the way I have it set up is each team must post on our league message board that player X is to be placed on Covid IR and player Y to be picked up to replace him. This is to be done as soon as news breaks that a player has tested positive for Covid. As Commish, my plan is to then go in and process the transaction and manually track these players on my own league Covid list. We decided this is how we will handle Covid related players. All other injuries/etc to be handled as they normally would (FA pool, waivers, etc).

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

at the end of the day we did nothing. only a 10 team league so if nothing else this will spur more FA turnover

season's not getting cancelled so not worried about that

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, Sonny_D said:

Here’s what we implemented in my league in terms of game(s) being cancelled or individual players out due to Covid (we already determined that makeup games would be virtually impossible and if they do make them up, too late to really have those players stats retroactive to prior weeks):

1) Must have a minimum of 10 full NFL weeks to make the season official. If not, money rolls over to next season.

2) If there is ONE game cancelled for the week, every Individual matchup will revert to best ball format for that week. This would help mitigate a Sunday night or Monday night cancellation where the options for players would be minimal. It’s only fair that every matchup revert to best ball.

3) If TWO or more NFL games are cancelled in a week, that week shall be cancelled and our league will then officially move to a straight 16 week season (or UP to 16 weeks with a minimum of 10 weeks to be official) and payouts will consist of 1st through 5th place standings (12 team league). Playoff pool money to be allocated and distributed to 1st thru 5th place regular season. The reason for cancelling the entire week if 2 games are cancelled is it would be difficult to field a starting lineup with 4 teams out (when you consider bye weeks as well).

4) If one game is cancelled, teams will be allowed to pick up a replacement player (same position) for that week. Teams will pick players based on standings in snake style order until all slots are replaced. Those players, however, must be released once the week is over.

5) Unlimited Covid IR spots: As soon as a player is declared Covid positive, the team owner shall be allowed to pick up a replacement player. HOWEVER, once the Covid player is back and declared active, the SAME player picked up must be released. Since we have unlimited Covid spots, it would be unfair if teams are able to get a “league winner” they normally would have not gotten if it weren’t for Covid. Once the player is released, he will go to through our waiver process. Covid pickups are free of charge.

Those are some of the basic rules implemented. Have more specific details if anyone is interested. Hope this helps some of you guys out there. 

Wow - you run a tight ship - well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone else starting to feel like the plug is going to be pulled after only a couple weeks? 

When asked if every NFL team would play 16 games this season, Goodell said, "I don't know."

Edited by mulhollandvelvet
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Is anyone else starting to feel like the plug is going to be pulled after only a couple weeks? 

When asked if every NFL team would play 16 games this season, Goodell said, "I don't know."

No. However I do think the reality is some games will be canceled. 

• Haha 1

As commissioner of my 10 team league, I ended up adding an IR slot in the ESPN league. 

I've never played with an IR slot, but I figure if a guy or two tests positive late in the week, especially a star player, teams shouldn't have to drop a useful bench player to stash him on the bench, esp. since most COVID positives will likely be 1-2 missed games then back in the starting line up. The league agreed, so we'll see if this helps mitigate some potential issues, here's to hoping. 

In case of a cancelled game, I put in default scores by position into the commissioner’s note. I used 2019 scores and calculated 80% of the average score by position. So if the average QB scored 20 points last year, the default substitution value is 16 (rather than 0). This worked out to about QB 18, RB 30, WR 30, TE 18 when looking at season long averages. Hope we never use it but it’s there and prevents a team with Kelce and Mahomes down 5 going into Monday from losing if e game is cancelled. It will also help equilibrate season long totals which are important tiebreakers. 

I really like the best ball solution above which is quite elegant, but we have kickers and D’s In both leagues and teams may not have backups. 

I'm the commish in my league. If the season gets cancelled mid year, I'm taking all the money and putting it on one NBA ML bet. If it wins, we all split. If it loses, we all get nothing. Everyone has agreed lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dms80790 said:

I'm the commish in my league. If the season gets cancelled mid year, I'm taking all the money and putting it on one NBA ML bet. If it wins, we all split. If it loses, we all get nothing. Everyone has agreed lol

lol best idea so far... transferring back out to all the other people would be lame, but if there was more money, it'd be worth it..

24 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Was this overblown or are the NFL protocols really solid ? 

I think the fact that most NFL contracts are not guaranteed and the NFL has a very high turnover culture add the most to this. Players are very easily cut in this league, that’s a lot of incentive to wear a mask.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Was this overblown or are the NFL protocols really solid ? 

Both

Looks like AJ Terrell from the Falcons tested positive for COVID and has been placed on IR.  He practiced on Friday and now they are looking through the tracing app.  Let’s see if anything further happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Looks like AJ Terrell from the Falcons tested positive for COVID and has been placed on IR.  He practiced on Friday and now they are looking through the tracing app.  Let’s see if anything further happens.

yeah, just saw this ... first in season diagnosis - no bueno

11 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Dumb*** rookie

23 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

12 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Dumb*** rookie

Kind of surprised it took until beginning of week 3 for a positive test, given that the players aren't in a bubble and it relies on them being smart and doing what is right.  Would be curious to know how they think he got Covid.  There was the NBA player that got sent home for sneaking a woman into the bubble.  That's just dumb and obviously violated the NBA rule.  The NFL doesn't seem to have any rules about what they should or should not do.  They can't even get coaches to wear masks on the sideline.  Jon Gruden - who had Covid - won't even wear a mask.  

Let's hope it's isolated and there won't be a lot more in the days and weeks to come.

The entire Falcons team was tested again Saturday morning.  The test results will be back Sunday morning.  We'll know if there are more positives right before the game.  Better have subs ready for all your Falcons...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The entire Falcons team was tested again Saturday morning.  The test results will be back Sunday morning.  We'll know if there are more positives right before the game.  Better have subs ready for all your Falcons...

That goes for Bears players too!

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

15 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

puts a new spin on "over/under", amirite?

... this could get ugly - hoping  for the best ✌

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I'm glad I read this thread, because I have Hurst and no backup TE

• Like 1

I did not realize this but every player has a GPS tracker.  So they can look it up and see if any teammates were within six feet of the infected player for more than 15 minutes.  It is quite a set up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So what exactly are the rules when it comes to deciding if the game goes on?  Is there some threshold of positive players that would make them postpone the game?  Or is one player enough?  If Matt Ryan, Ridley, Julio all test positive, are the Falcons forced to trot out the backups?  I seem to remember Goodell said something about how there will be "competitive imbalance" this year..was this what he was referring to?

Maybe a money line bet on the Bears would be a smart thing right now?

1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

Any Bears players might get infected during the game, but it would not affect their availability for this week.

And, as any experienced season-long fantasy football player can tell you, this week is all that matters.