oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I think you're misinterpreting what the incubation period is. That's not the time it takes from exposure until you'd test positive, it's the time the virus is replicating within one's body, to the (potential) point of symptoms. 

You either have a virus or you don't, it's not subjective, it's binary, yes or no. The test does not care about the incubation period, a positive isn't triggered at a certain viral load, the virus is either in you or it's not. 

Now could I bump into someone, contract the virus, and test negative ten minutes later? Sure. But the 10-day incubation period has nothing to do with time from exposure to positive test. The incubation period is the recommendation of time to quarantine if you cannot get tested, because beyond ten days if you show no symptoms you theoretically either didn't have it and/or wouldn't be contagious. 

Pretty sure bolded isn't true, at least not in regards to testing. They were just talking about it on ABC this morning with their resident expert, that blonde haired doctor(cannot remember her name). She said typical ideal time to test would be 5 days after exposure, because that's the average incubation period. She mentioned the virus 'shedding', so indeed it sounds like it can be inside you but not doing enough to trigger a positive test right away. 

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I think you're misinterpreting what the incubation period is. That's not the time it takes from exposure until you'd test positive, it's the time the virus is replicating within one's body, to the (potential) point of symptoms. 

You either have a virus or you don't, it's not subjective, it's binary, yes or no. The test does not care about the incubation period, a positive isn't triggered at a certain viral load, the virus is either in you or it's not. 

Now could I bump into someone, contract the virus, and test negative ten minutes later? Sure. But the 10-day incubation period has nothing to do with time from exposure to positive test. The incubation period is the recommendation of time to quarantine if you cannot get tested, because beyond ten days if you show no symptoms you theoretically either didn't have it and/or wouldn't be contagious. 

So how come more and more Titans keep testing positive days later?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

We have lost players already this week that would normally start, and that has and will affect win/loss in leagues.

At this point , with all the continuing issues, playing FF in 2020 is becoming a joke.  Teams that lose their best players should get a handicap.

In other words, what ever the consensus projected points for players missing time is, it could be subsituted into the points as a partial remedy.

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

[ Posts removed.  Things we're not doing in this thread, an incomplete list: (a) discussion of politicians who have contracted COVID and whether they are in danger of dying, (b) armchair epidemiology, (c) minimizing the threat of a virus that has killed 200k Americans and over 1M worldwide.  Things we are doing in this thread: discussing the impact of COVID on National Football League teams and players.  Those who can't figure out where one ends and another begins are encouraged to give this thread a miss going forward if they would like to retain their posting privileges. ]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Pretty sure bolded isn't true, at least not in regards to testing. They were just talking about it on ABC this morning with their resident expert, that blonde haired doctor(cannot remember her name). She said typical ideal time to test would be 5 days after exposure, because that's the average incubation period. She mentioned the virus 'shedding', so indeed it sounds like it can be inside you but not doing enough to trigger a positive test right away. 

There certainly may be (and I think definitely was in the past) a serious issue with the tests not being extremely effective. And given the novelty of the virus, the tests, etc. I certainly would not dismiss the possibility that our current tests don't trigger a positive until the infected party reaches a certain viral load. 

My point was simply the clinical term "incubation period" refers to the time a virus duplicates within the body to the point where it potentially is prevalent enough to induce symptoms. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL

18 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

We have lost players already this week that would normally start, and that has and will affect win/loss in leagues.

At this point , with all the continuing issues, playing FF in 2020 is becoming a joke.  Teams that lose their best players should get a handicap.

In other words, what ever the consensus projected points for players missing time is, it could be subsituted into the points as a partial remedy.

Everyone knew this going in to the season. I've been hit hard by it this week as a Conner owner in leagues where I have injuries but that's what we signed up for. Granting projected points would be even more of a joke lol

• Like 1

You just have to take it on the chin the same way you do when your guy gets injured. It's one of the more frustrating aspects of fantasy football and will be extra annoying this season, but it is what it is. Definitely can't grant projected points to players. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Everyone knew this going in to the season. I've been hit hard by it this week as a Conner owner in leagues where I have injuries but that's what we signed up for. Granting projected points would be even more of a joke lol

The amount of injuries this year has made it tougher to sub players.  Plenty of teams would be happy to take the projections.

24 minutes ago, yanksman said:

So how come more and more Titans keep testing positive days later?

I'm really not sure. I think much of it could be what I mentioned above. Novel virus, novel testing, the accuracy of those tests isn't really known. We don't really have any precision yet in any aspect of this process unfortunately. 

In terms of why two more Titans tested positive afterward, my guess is the initial test was wrong. Could that be they had such a low viral load that our current tests aren't advanced anough to detect it? Sure, that's possible. 

My main point was the incubation period is referring to the time the virus replicates within the body, potentially leading to symptoms. 

When experts mention the incubation period of 10-14 days they aren't saying it could take 14 days before you test positive, they're saying it could potentially take that long for symptoms to present themselves.

Just now, Sivaro said:

The amount of injuries this year has made it tougher to sub players.  Plenty of teams would be happy to take the projections.

Pretty much every fantasy player ever would TAKE projections if they were handed out for free

• Like 2

Just now, Sivaro said:

Trust me I know all about the injuries but granting projections would be asinine. Not to mention your suggestion would still be irrelevant this week as the Titans/Steelers are officially on a bye per the NFL. No projected points for bye weeks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Pretty much every fantasy player ever would TAKE projections if they were handed out for free

It would be only for the cases of cancelled games for Covid, like TN/PIT

Just now, Sivaro said:

It would be only for the cases of cancelled games for Covid, like TN/PIT

Losing a match because of some ESPN number cruncher would be the ultimate sting, thanks but no thanks. Just deal with it and take your lumps. Everyone had to deal with this, nobody should be granted preferential treatment.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'm really not sure. I think much of it could be what I mentioned above. Novel virus, novel testing, the accuracy of those tests isn't really known. We don't really have any precision yet in any aspect of this process unfortunately. 

In terms of why two more Titans tested positive afterward, my guess is the initial test was wrong. Could that be they had such a low viral load that our current tests aren't advanced anough to detect it? Sure, that's possible. 

My main point was the incubation period is referring to the time the virus replicates within the body, potentially leading to symptoms. 

When experts mention the incubation period of 10-14 days they aren't saying it could take 14 days before you test positive, they're saying it could potentially take that long for symptoms to present themselves.

No, my guess is you are wrong in YOUR thinking.

Edited by yanksman

24 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Yep I'm 4-0!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

What happens then if the rescheduled game replaces a bye-week later in the season? Do you not get to play them that week then?

• Like 1

Titans placed WR Adam Humphries on the COVID-19 list.

Cameron Batson and Humphries are the two players the Titans failed to disclose that tested positive for COVID-19 Friday morning. The organization isn't expected to return to the field until all cases have either subsided or been contained, so we should expect Humphries to be available whenever Tennessee's facilities reopen. The Titans' weekly schedule is currently touch and go.

WTF is RW talking about here?

5 minutes ago, yanksman said:

No, my guess is you are wrong in YOUR thinking.

Google incubation period my friend. 

58 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

This is a very whiney reaction to this situation. Seems like you have to sit a player this week and are upset about it. We all knew the league could blow up at any moment this year. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

This is a very whiney reaction to this situation. Seems like you have to sit a player this week and are upset about it. We all knew the league could blow up at any moment this year. 

I have not had to sit anyone.  I have Tannerhill, but he is the Back-up.   I am giving league managers options if this becomes a thing.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Sivaro said:

I have not had to sit anyone.  I have Tannerhill, but he is the Back-up.   I am giving league managers options if this becomes a thing.

Why?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Why?

I dont know.

The title of the thread is "Covid- League plans?"

If no one wants to do it its fine by me.

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 1

Another 3 positive tests in Tennessee, declared an outbreak on the team. 

This continues to happen, how many more games of the Titans get moved? And how do you even start balancing schedules to make up for those?

More Titans test positive, week 5 vs BUF now seriously in doubt.

As a Josh Allen owner in superflex league, I'm starting to sweat...