oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Message added by tonycpsu

2 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

image.jpeg.c68a7f3913865a310f89a7642012e121.jpeg

• Like 1

The NFL wouldn't continue the season without the Titans right? Imagine drafting Henry and AJB only to lose them for the season because their team had a Covid outbreak.

2 minutes ago, sSektor said:

The NFL wouldn't continue the season without the Titans right? Imagine drafting Henry and AJB only to lose them for the season because their team had a Covid outbreak.

They wouldn't be done for the season. I see 3 options:

1. Postpone season a week to let Titans get things under control. Hopefully no new outbreaks in that time.

2. Power through it. Keep testing all week with facilities closed. By the weekend maybe that's enough time to identify all the infected players? They would miss the game.

3. Postpone game. They can't shuffle byes weeks because Titans already had theirs last week, so this would be the most complicated both for real life and fantasy.

7 minutes ago, sSektor said:

There’s no need to panic. The NFL was expecting this to happen and will continue to adjust accordingly. This is how it played out with the Cardinals and Marlins. There’s a pretty good chance more outbreaks will happen as the season progresses. Anyone signing up for fantasy football this year should’ve known something like this was inevitable.

p.s. If you’re an AJB owner this might actually work out in your favor since it’ll give him more time to get his knee right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

They wouldn't be done for the season. I see 3 options:

1. Postpone season a week to let Titans get things under control. Hopefully no new outbreaks in that time.

2. Power through it. Keep testing all week with facilities closed. By the weekend maybe that's enough time to identify all the infected players? They would miss the game.

3. Postpone game. They can't shuffle byes weeks because Titans already had theirs last week, so this would be the most complicated both for real life and fantasy.

Or add a week 18 for Covid makeup games 

Just now, ponchsox said:

Or add a week 18 for Covid makeup games 

Yeah, that was option 3. Postpone the game. That gets complicated though, because what if teams end up needing to postpone multiple games. Then you're getting into week 19, 20. But only for certain teams. Some might end their season on week 17 but then sit around for 2-3 weeks before the playoffs start while other teams are playing. You start going down that rabbit hole and who knows where it goes.

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Yeah, that was option 3. Postpone the game. That gets complicated though, because what if teams end up needing to postpone multiple games. Then you're getting into week 19, 20. But only for certain teams. Some might end their season on week 17 but then sit around for 2-3 weeks before the playoffs start while other teams are playing. You start going down that rabbit hole and who knows where it goes.

Only one extra week for makeup games would be reasonable without moving the Superbowl. Move playoffs up one week and no week off in between championship games and SB. Move Pro Bowl until after SB. If one team has more than one makeup game they just end the season with fewer games played. May be unfair but nothing is fair about 2020.

Sorry if I missed this thought somewhere & repeating someone’s question...

Just wondering how long the NFL carries on with the “next man up” mantra. Didn’t they grant teams extended rosters & Covid exemptions? If by some miracle they have no more positives by Monday, wouldn’t they be able to reopen their facility & prep for BUF with whoever is left? 

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

1%  chance this season finishes at all. 

this be what it be 🤷‍♂️

Why do you say that? MLB dealt with significant outbreaks early in its season and things seem to be fine at this point. 

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

this be what it be 🤷‍♂️

Think about all the money involved with tv rights and advertising, in particular the Super Bowl. I think they'll finish the season one way or another even if they have to get really creative. 

26 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Why do you say that? MLB dealt with significant outbreaks early in its season and things seem to be fine at this point. 

one more team with a fustercluck like the Titans and we are in the land of no return.

28 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Think about all the money involved with tv rights and advertising, in particular the Super Bowl. I think they'll finish the season one way or another even if they have to get really creative. 

yes, i'm very cognizant of all the monetary peripherals, and i am not saying i would personally pull the plug ... but, like i said yesterday - read the room, fellas. 

Wow just forfeit all the games the Titans are not healthy enough to play in. This is not rocket science wtf is the NFL doing rescheduling a bunch of crap because the titans cant follow protocol. Now week 5 is in jeopardy just forfeit the games Roger dumba**

yes, i'm very cognizant of all the monetary peripherals, and i am not saying i would personally pull the plug ... but, like i said yesterday - read the room, fellas. 

Well I think the NFL is even less inclined to pull the plug than you and I, because of the literally billions of dollars at stake for them

one more team with a fustercluck like the Titans and we are in the land of no return.

You may be right, but we made it 3 weeks with disease-free football, and the NFL has now beefed up procedures.

I think there's a very good chance that we finish out this season -- anything could change especially if there are massive outbreaks.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

Wow just forfeit all the games the Titans are not healthy enough to play in. This is not rocket science wtf is the NFL doing rescheduling a bunch of crap because the titans cant follow protocol. Now week 5 is in jeopardy just forfeit the games Roger dumba**

This won’t happen. If anything, they pause the season for a couple weeks & make a shorter season like the other sports. They definitely won’t cancel the season either. The money the league & networks would lose just from the Super Bowl alone would be astronomical. 

Edited by lvsaint429

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

This won’t happen. If anything, they pause the season for a couple weeks & make a shorter season like the other sports. The money the league & networks would lose just from the Super Bowl alone would be astronomical. 

Each team has to be responsible for their own health they just cant go changing every other teams schedule because of ONE team that cant get it right. Cmon Goodell forfeit these Titans games already thats the best way to keep the season going smoothly.

Edited by straightfire118

I wonder how many weeks of football we have left before the season is cancelled? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

So the chiefs game now postponed too wtf?

think i'm benching mahomes either way

this game could be over in 8mins

49 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

this be what it be 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

.... you were all saying?

Completely unrelated from the effects of the TEN/MIN game, with Newton out now because of Covid, a 2-week pause on the season is coming. Mark my words...

Just now, lvsaint429 said:

Completely unrelated from the effects of the TEN/MIN game, with Newton out now because of Covid, a 2-week pause on the season is coming. Mark my words...

this i could see happening, without question.