Rotoworld.com Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Just now, oliminator123 said:

When I made this thread I didn't think it would turn into this. So much for 2020 seeming normal at all with some football. 

Guess I underestimated the "spread factor" shutting down teams. Who cares about individual players anymore - this is a team impact. 

Oh of course it's a team impact. Lol makes me rethink if we are even going to make it to 8 games smh

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, lvsaint429 said:

Have you paid attention to anything about this? Supposedly a 10-14 day incubation period. If they shut everything down for 2 weeks & keep testing everyday, maybe they can minimize the effects on the schedule. Powering through & adapting week-by-week is gonna be a disaster. Stopping the season to get a handle on this is the only way this season has a chance to be completed

So, at the end of the two weeks, the virus will be gone? Is that what you are saying? Because it sounds like that’s what you are saying.

3 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Have you paid attention to anything about this? Supposedly a 10-14 day incubation period. If they shut everything down for 2 weeks & keep testing everyday, maybe they can minimize the effects on the schedule. Powering through & adapting week-by-week is gonna be a disaster. Stopping the season to get a handle on this is the only way this season has a chance to be completed

Why would that stop anything?

Gestures around at everything

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

cancelation is closer to reality than finishing. 

i've said enough on the matter - i don't see this ending well at all. 

I kinda heard this all year in the baseball forums.

Guess what?  The Division Series starts Tuesday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

I agree. Reality is going to sober folks up this fall. Flu season is about to kick in. Look at the restrictions that are now going into place in Europe. We’re next, only it will be so much worse here 

Just now, CABLE87 said:

Oh of course it's a team impact. Lol makes me rethink if we are even going to make it to 8 games smh

This year just sucks. Football was supposed to be that tiny piece of the year that felt normal. Now us northern states people get winter coming soon, no more patios or outdoor activities. Football is cancelled, say bye to Thursday, Sunday, Monday entertainment. 

f--- off 2020 and f--- off COVID. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Butters said:

So, at the end of the two weeks, the virus will be gone? Is that what you are saying? Because it sounds like that’s what you are saying.

They would simultaneously need to pause for 2 weeks and have to put in preventive measures to reduce exposure risk similar to the NHL/NBA procedures, otherwise you're right there's no real point in pausing because it'll resume and the same thing will happen again.

How would a shortened/canceled season affect free agency/years accrued on contract? For example, if a player is set to be a free agent after this season, bu the season is cancelled next week, are they immediately a free agent? Or a free agent sometime prior to next season? Or would this season simply not count?

Edited by Lamont Sanford
Just now, Jordan Coppington said:

I agree. Reality is going to sober folks up this fall. Flu season is about to kick in. Look at the restrictions that are now going into place in Europe. We’re next, only it will be so much worse here 

On one hand, the flu season has been milder than expected in many places.

Otoh, that's because many places were wearing masks and practicing good hand hygiene.

So yeah, we're probably screwed. But that won't stop the NFL. They won't even bat an eye unless a player dies. And even then probably only if it's a well known one. This machine will not be stopped. Whether it SHOULD is a different argument altogether.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

The Falcons still played last Sunday after a player tested positive on Saturday and haven't had any new cases since. So there is hope.

Great point. I wonder what the difference is between that and Cam if they do postpone the Chiefs game. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Butters said:

JFC, where did I say that? What I said is pausing the season & stopping the spread should be the priority. If they wait too long & too many test positive, the players union is gonna start griping about safety & so on & so on...

I’m being realistic & thinking a few steps ahead of what will happen. I’m done 

12 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

This is the only way to keep it under wraps. They can't be going home to their families. Everyone in their household are still going to grocery stores, shopping and whatever else they're doing going around outsiders. There's only one way to fix this is to bubble them the best possible way. Just very hard with the rosters being huge

it’s only for 2-3 months at this point, it’s almost like going away to college.

But you’re right it would be very difficult and costly to operate with the much larger rosters.

a two week pause to set up the bubble process would definitely help as well. 

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

cool. 

apples, meet eggplants. 

The underlying driver remains the same, ain't gonna lose that money honey.

Trust me they will be willing to go to lengths you can't imagine to get a full slate in.

Super Bowl on Tax Day?  Why not.

Every team gets three byes to offset?  We're down.

I don't understand how you can ignore that we've basically made adapting a way of life in every other facet but just think the NFL is gonna walk away from TV revenue.  Ain't gonna happen Lars.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

I could not agree with you more about this ending horribly. It is, and will continue to be, a disaster. 

But I think they're going to claw their way to a SB regardless of any consequences. It's how the entire country has been handling things, and I don't think NFL owners give a damn about sacrificing a few more to line their pockets.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, lvsaint429 said:

JFC, where did I say that? What I said is pausing the season & stopping the spread should be the priority. If they wait too long & too many test positive, the players union is gonna start griping about safety & so on & so on...

I’m being realistic & thinking a few steps ahead of what will happen. I’m done 

But you still haven’t explained how that stops anything once they start back up. 

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic