oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Message added by tonycpsu

Just now, LongBalls said:

Not sure if this was posted since the thread is moving very fast, but per Mike Reiss it sounds like the Pats have dodged the bullet thus far; we'll see how it goes for them and KC over the next 24 hours:

"Late last night, we received notice that a Patriots player tested positive for COVID-19. The player immediately entered self-quarantine," the Patriots said in a statement Saturday. "Several additional players, coaches and staff who have been in close contact with the player received point of care tests this morning and all were negative for COVID-19."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30029628/sources-new-england-patriots-qb-cam-newton-tests-positive-covid-19

Hopefully...but as we know, Titans players are still popping positives on the daily...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Hopefully...but as we know, Titans players are still popping positives on the daily...

The Titans cases also blew up in the first wave of tests. It has to be viewed as pretty good that all the people contract traced to Newton tested negative. Combine that with the fact the KC guy was on the practice squad and there is some hope Tuesday may go.

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

You’re not wrong.  Over a one week time frame KC or NE owners get a reprieve- to the detriment of their opponents.   
But you’re missing the bigger picture.  This is a problem that will keep occurring.   Games can- and probably will be at some point- be canceled at any moment.  Without a plan in place it will be chaos every time a Covid test pops positive.    A good commish has to weigh the entire season over one week.  

If no specific Covid rules were put in place before the season, then canceled games get treated as though the players in those games are injured.  That's the plan.  I don't see a problem with that.

I had a year where my first 10 draft picks all got injured for the year.  Somehow I made the playoffs bc I made great pickups when my guy went down.  That's fantasy football.  Unfortunately, this is a crazy year and, not only do we have massive injuries, but also we are dealing with players losing games when they are healthy due to Covid.  It's a lot.  But you manage your team.

IMO, if we see this happening over and over, as you suggest, the more likely scenario is that the NFL will have to cancel the season.  They are talking about Tenn missing week 5 now.  If that happens, they can't use the bye to make it up and now we're looking at a week 18.  From here on out, every game Tenn cancels has to be moved to a week 19, 20, etc.  If it gets really bad, they will cancel the season.

P.S. - on a personal note, sorry if I got testy with you in the Rojo thread.  I've read your posts over the years and I know you're a good dude.

• Like 2

Alot of bickering and commish ripping.  Heres my rules.  Our league ends week 16, if a game gets postponed until after week 16, ur sol.

we all handed our money over knowing anything could happen this season, and here we are.  we knew what we were signing up for.  Even in my league im out a couple players, bummer, make the best lineup and move on.  

also, if the league gets cancelled or delayed indefinitely, everyone gets their money back and Covid 19 is engraved on the trophy as the league champ

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Chargers88 said:

As commish Should the vote be majority or unanimous? 

No. You just put the rule in for whats best for the league and not one person. 

3 minutes ago, kp96 said:

First of all, I don't think IR even plays any role at this moment in time.  KC and NE still may play.  Until they officially move the game out of week 4, they're not eligible for IR.  That's how my league is handling it.  The only person eligible for IR right now is Cam.

Second, if your league agreed to a Covid IR spot, then there's a strong argument that all KC and NE players are eligible and can be moved to IR as soon as the NFL moves the game out of week 4.  If the website only allows a Covid IR designation to be moved to IR, then you handle it manually.  Add bench spots or whatever.

The whole point of the Covid IR spots is to handle this situation.  If Covid IR spots were only for those who got Covid, what was the point?  Just add regular IR spots.  Covid always had the potential to knock entire teams out, which is why they were added in leagues.

COVID-IR is just a designation. They use regular IR spots. You can't move players to IR unless they have that designation. It can be IR, Out, COVID-IR, PUP, etc. If they moved the game out of Week 4, it would have no bearing on being eligible for IR. It would essentially be a bye week. If the NFL does not make the decision by tomorrow, this will create many problems. You or someone said treat them as questionable, but even that's not how it typically goes. Even when players are questionable you know the game will still be played. Once they get ruled out or you determine you don't want to take the risk, you make your roster moves accordingly. If you have a guy going on Monday Night you could theoretically just pick up another guy playing that night. In this case, the player is not questionable due to their own health. They are questionable because nobody know if the game will be played or moved. So, if it ends up being moved, then that will be treated as a bye week. And people don't play guys on a bye week. So treating them as questionable is a moot point.

I haven’t seen a team as affected as mine is in my bigger money keeper league:

Mahomes, CEH, Conner, JuJu, Hardman (we play with return yards), Butker, KC Def. 

It’s almost comical. We’re just treating everyone as injured but my fear is that the game isn’t officially canceled until after the Sunday games have started. So I’ve requested that I can provide a list of players on my roster who I would start in place of the KC guys in case the game is canceled after the Sunday games start who can then be retroactively put into their places. I don’t even know if that is possible on Yahoo, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WEIL3R said:

I haven’t seen a team as affected as mine is in my bigger money keeper league:

Mahomes, CEH, Conner, JuJu, Hardman (we play with return yards), Butker, KC Def. 

It’s almost comical. We’re just treating everyone as injured but my fear is that the game isn’t officially canceled until after the Sunday games have started. So I’ve requested that I can provide a list of players on my roster who I would start in place of the KC guys in case the game is canceled after the Sunday games start who can then be retroactively put into their places. I don’t even know if that is possible on Yahoo, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

It is possible and thankfully someone recommended and validated it earlier in this thread. I also proposed the same thing to my 2 commish leagues and everyone is on board. Basically, if the official reschedule/cancellation doesn’t happen before kickoffs tomorrow, just designate your replacement players prior to games starting and commish can swap them if/when the game does happen. 

I also don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities that the game gets officially rescheduled for Tuesday but then positive tests come back Monday night after all the other games have played. In which case the NFL would cancel immediately. So this approach should help avoid issues in that case as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kp96 said:

If no specific Covid rules were put in place before the season, then canceled games get treated as though the players in those games are injured.  That's the plan.  I don't see a problem with that.

I had a year where my first 10 draft picks all got injured for the year.  Somehow I made the playoffs bc I made great pickups when my guy went down.  That's fantasy football.  Unfortunately, this is a crazy year and, not only do we have massive injuries, but also we are dealing with players losing games when they are healthy due to Covid.  It's a lot.  But you manage your team.

IMO, if we see this happening over and over, as you suggest, the more likely scenario is that the NFL will have to cancel the season.  They are talking about Tenn missing week 5 now.  If that happens, they can't use the bye to make it up and now we're looking at a week 18.  From here on out, every game Tenn cancels has to be moved to a week 19, 20, etc.  If it gets really bad, they will cancel the season.

P.S. - on a personal note, sorry if I got testy with you in the Rojo thread.  I've read your posts over the years and I know you're a good dude.

didn’t even remember it so you’re all good on the Rojo front my man 😆 

Also no problem with the opinion that you don’t change anything with the rules.  All players have an equal chance of getting screwed.  

I do think entire games getting cancelled last minute is something you can mitigate in more casual leagues,  Short bench leagues, etc.   The nfl won’t let the season die easily..so the schedule could get pretty crazy before it’s said and done.   Not one right answer for all leagues here 

Mid-season rule changes

Next Man Up

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hops said:

It is possible and thankfully someone recommended and validated it earlier in this thread. I also proposed the same thing to my 2 commish leagues and everyone is on board. Basically, if the official reschedule/cancellation doesn’t happen before kickoffs tomorrow, just designate your replacement players prior to games starting and commish can swap them if/when the game does happen. 

I also don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities that the game gets officially rescheduled for Tuesday but then positive tests come back Monday night after all the other games have played. In which case the NFL would cancel immediately. So this approach should help avoid issues in that case as well. 

in your league did it have to be unanimous or majority for the proposed rule? 

How about this question for those who purchased the nfl ticket? We pay a price for the noon & 3pm kickoffs, every game delayed to primetime monday or tuesday, we lose out on our nfl ticket experience, i may call and complain if i lose a good amount of games and get a partial refund

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Chargers88 said:

As commish Should the vote be majority or unanimous? 

Majority

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chargers88 said:

When I proposed it I didn’t “take it to a vote”. I just said that if anyone objects please say so and we can all discuss. Nobody objected. I think it’s a pretty fair rule as I assume every manager will have to deal with it throughout the season. To clarify, the backup has to be on your roster/bench and you can’t declare a speculative WW add as a replacement. So the benefit/detriment is fairly equal, since managers would likely have to add/drop bench players and potentially carry 2 kickers, 2 defenses, 2 QBs etc. when they wouldn’t otherwise. This way it replicates the same issues they’d face with a normal bye week or injury. 

Edit - But if it was a vote I’d say majority rules

Edited by Hops

8 minutes ago, Hops said:

When I proposed it I didn’t “take it to a vote”. I just said that if anyone objects please say so and we can all discuss. Nobody objected. I think it’s a pretty fair rule as I assume every manager will have to deal with it throughout the season. To clarify, the backup has to be on your roster/bench and you can’t declare a speculative WW add as a replacement. So the benefit/detriment is fairly equal, since managers would likely have to add/drop bench players and potentially carry 2 kickers, 2 defenses, 2 QBs etc. when they wouldn’t otherwise. This way it replicates the same issues they’d face with a normal bye week or injury. 

Edit - But if it was a vote I’d say majority rules

This may make sense for this week, but if this happens every week with multiple games? Tell your wife & kids you’ll see em in January cause Daddy’s about to have another full-time job

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised we made it this far. They might want to consider some hard stops for the whole league as the season progresses. Every 4 weeks, just put in a league wide bye week. That'll give 2 weeks for people to quarantine and etc. It'll stretch the season out a few weeks, but its not like people bought tickets to attend games. Just a thought.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

How about this question for those who purchased the nfl ticket? We pay a price for the noon & 3pm kickoffs, every game delayed to primetime monday or tuesday, we lose out on our nfl ticket experience, i may call and complain if i lose a good amount of games and get a partial refund

I am certain the DirecTV rep will be sympathetic to your plight.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Mid-season rule changes

Next Man Up

thank you.

case. closed. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Mid-season rule changes

Next Man Up

what_she_said_office.gif

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am certain the DirecTV rep will be sympathetic to your plight.

I do t get it thru directv, i get the student streaming package

10 minutes ago, smeeze said:

This may make sense for this week, but if this happens every week with multiple games? Tell your wife & kids you’ll see em in January cause Daddy’s about to have another full-time job

That's my concern with this as a commish. Right now it's only one game that might be like this. If this snowballs I think the avg commish who adopts this is going to be sorry they did so. 

I'm usually pretty proactive but my instinct is telling me to not go down this rabbit hole. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Chargers88 said:

Mid season rule changes have to be unanimous in my league.

• Like 4