oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Message added by tonycpsu

Messing with the rules after everyone's money is already in the pot is incredibly shady behavior. If you didn't take rule change votes before the season started then sucks to be you.

• Thanks 4

Just now, lolcopter said:

Messing with the rules after everyone's money is already in the pot is incredibly shady behavior. If you didn't take rule change votes before the season started then sucks to be you.

I get it,   But that goes both ways.   I never put money in with the knowledge that entire games involving players who don’t have Covid would be canceled.   No one did.    That’s grounds for a refund 

• Thanks 1

A refund makes more sense than screwing over everyone else because you rostered a Titan

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Right this talk of giving people average points for Barkley/cmc/Henry is embarrassing to say the least.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I get it,   But that goes both ways.   I never put money in with the knowledge that entire games involving players who don’t have Covid would be canceled.   No one did.    That’s grounds for a refund 

My league was certainly aware of the possibility... where have you been the last 6 months? Lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Completely agree. There should be 0 rule changing mid-season.

My team was without Big Ben, Tannehill, Diontae, Jonnu, Pitt defense last week. We had added an IR spot for this season, but obviously those guys weren't covered with IR last week. Therefore I literally couldn't field a full team, needed another WR and QB, so I was forced to drop Joshua Kelley (trust me, I didn't want to at all),

Then the Ekeler injury occured, and Kelley was the #1 pickup, to another team.

If the commish goes and adds extra bench spots now ,mid season, then I have the valid argument that Kelley should be placed back on my team. Clearly 1 extra bench spot and I wouldn't have dropped him.

And this is an endless loop of what-ifs, if you change the roster makeup and rules midseason. The dude who added Kelley has the argument that he would'ved added the next guy, and so on and so forth.

We all knew this would be a screwy year with COVID. We just need to deal with it within the rules of our own leagues. And this coming from a guy who it has certainly affected the most in my league thus far.

• Like 2

these major sites should allow for auto swaps of players with games at risk of covid cancellations....

like Josh Allen is my QB1, but I have no idea if he's going to play so I play Goff instead. But if the Bills/Titans game plays on Tuesday then it swaps in Allen no matter what.

Otherwise it's impossible to set good lineups.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

A refund makes more sense than screwing over everyone else because you rostered a Titan

What about a Steeler last week?   Can’t be put on Covid IR when don’t have Covid.    What about a Bill this week?

Props to the commish who saw all this coming and put in “emergency backup” player before the season.   That would have been laughed at by my league mates.    

Nah...a good commish adapts as needed by the situation.    JMO-  reasonable minds can disagree 

• Like 3

Just now, Klientel said:

these major sites should allow for auto swaps of players with games at risk of covid cancellations....

like Josh Allen is my QB1, but I have no idea if he's going to play so I play Goff instead. But if the Bills/Titans game plays on Tuesday then it swaps in Allen no matter what.

Otherwise it's impossible to set good lineups.

Treat it as if the guy is questionable... weigh the risks, have a backup option ready to go, etc. We’ve all been doing this for years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Oh the indignity to gambling integrity 😂 😂 

As if the NFL isn’t changing things every week last minute.  

What you are proposing is more of a grounds for a refund than games being postponed 

Posted (edited)

In the league I commission I held a vote prior to the season and we added an extra bench spot and IR spot. I’ve been cruising because my bench is stacked also, but I don’t think it’s unfair to make a rule change for an additional bench spot during the season IF the majority of the league agrees to it.

I floated the idea of adding even another bench spot yesterday, even though at the moment it doesn’t benefit me whatsoever and my opponent this week is actually in trouble if the Bills/Titans and Pats game is cancelled, but most people said they didn’t want another spot added. 

However, giving a team “average” points for a player who misses due to cancellation is ludicrous and I’d be demanding a refund. 

Edited by Uncle_Ruckus
  • Like 2

The only change we made mid-season was putting in the caveat that if a game is pushed by to Monday/Tuesday like what happened with KC/NE, and the game is subsequently canceled after the Sunday games have already started, then the following is allowed:

Prior to the Sunday games beginning, if you submit a list of specific substitute players that are on your roster as of the first Sunday morning game, and the re-scheduled game is subsequently canceled, the commish will retroactively replace the players from the now-canceled game with the listed players.  So for example I had Mahomes, CEH, Hardman, Butker, and KC Def.  I had to add a second Def and Kicker and posted Stafford, Homer (Return yardage league), Beasley, Slye, and Houston.  The game was played so it didn't matter.  The purpose of the change was to have protection against the unknown factor, essentially allowing people with KC/NE players to be treated the same as people who had Pit/Ten players.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I think you can do it but only with unanimous approval about a situation that hasn't accrued yet. We did this last week with the matter of replacement  players. Everyone seemed really enthusiastic about it and appreciated my proposal.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I think people imagined that players would be added to IR for COVID. I don't think people necessarily thought games would be postponed due to the nature of the sport. Hard to make locked plans for something that has no precedent. 

Yes exactly, nobody thought about games being postponed/forfeited and if they say they did their lying, everyone knew there was a possibility about the league being cancelled or not finishing but not several games/or a game being postponed/forfeited. It’s usually the guys sitting at 4-0 or their players are playing every week that say “it is what it is” or “we knew what we were getting ourselves into”. I’m sitting nice in all my leagues and only have been affected by Steelers D/Juju lost 1 won 1, I don’t own any Titans/Bills real estate but I still feel for the ones that do in our league, it’s really being dealt a bad hand. We added a roster spot/ or roster spots with everyone’s agreement in all my leagues  and will have to just ride it out. I wouldn’t suggest doing anything more.

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

Right this talk of giving people average points for Barkley/cmc/Henry is embarrassing to say the least.

Total joke and grounds for team owner mutiny. I’ve never heard such foolishness 

Edited by Jordan Coppington
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WEIL3R said:

The only change we made mid-season was putting in the caveat that if a game is pushed by to Monday/Tuesday like what happened with KC/NE, and the game is subsequently canceled after the Sunday games have already started, then the following is allowed:

Prior to the Sunday games beginning, if you submit a list of specific substitute players that are on your roster as of the first Sunday morning game, and the re-scheduled game is subsequently canceled, the commish will retroactively replace the players from the now-canceled game with the listed players.  So for example I had Mahomes, CEH, Hardman, Butker, and KC Def.  I had to add a second Def and Kicker and posted Stafford, Homer (Return yardage league), Beasley, Slye, and Houston.  The game was played so it didn't matter.  The purpose of the change was to have protection against the unknown factor, essentially allowing people with KC/NE players to be treated the same as people who had Pit/Ten players.

25 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

Yes exactly, nobody thought about games being postponed/forfeited and if they say they did their lying, everyone knew there was a possibility about the league being cancelled or not finishing but not several games/or a game being postponed/forfeited. It’s usually the guys sitting at 4-0 or their players are playing every week that say “it is what it is” or “we knew what we were getting ourselves into”. I’m sitting nice in all my leagues and only have been affected by Steelers D/Juju lost 1 won 1, I don’t own any Titans/Bills real estate but I still feel for the ones that do in our league, it’s really being dealt a bad hand. We added a roster spot/ or roster spots with everyone’s agreement in all my leagues  and will have to just ride it out. I wouldn’t suggest doing anything more.

Well done commissioners.    Some leagues this is the right call- short bench/redraft/casual,  and some are doing just fine- dynasty/ deep benches. 

i implemented these conditions in 2 redrafts and it’s been a hit.   

48 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

... so we're still floating the midseason rule change/rosterbation crap?

e8a.gif

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, straightfire118 said:

Wtf is Roger Goodell doing? You can’t change everyone’s schedule because these pos Titans can’t follow protocol. Forfeit every game the Titans are not healthy to play. It’s not the rest of the leagues fault the Titans are playing grab a** all day. FORFEIT their games already Goodell.

This. Don't punish the Bills and then take away their Thursday primetime game also next week/ Titans forfeit.

Edited by FantasyGeek2018

49 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I think you can do it but only with unanimous approval about a situation that hasn't accrued yet. We did this last week with the matter of replacement  players. Everyone seemed really enthusiastic about it and appreciated my proposal.

Agree.  The only way to do in season rule changes is for it to be unanimous IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Uh, no it's not. It should have been perfectly clear to anyone that anything could happen this season. It's football in a pandemic. We all rolled the dice.

2 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

So the dipshit Titans can get their stuff together? They're the only problem here. NE having 2-3 cases is a relative non factor. We don't need any time off, hand the Titans a big fat L and hopefully they can pass their tests next week 🤷‍♂️

No cause im 1-3 and I need MT back 🤣🤣🤣, give him that rest while we don't play this week

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Just have the Titans play a double-header.  Easy peasy.  And I'm clearly kidding, for those of you about to get triggered.

Just make the 2nd game 3 quarters instead of 4.

24 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Well done commissioners.    Some leagues this is the right call- short bench/redraft/casual,  and some are doing just fine- dynasty/ deep benches. 

i implemented these conditions in 2 redrafts and it’s been a hit.   

I'm gonna make an assumption that either all the owners agreed in your leagues, and/or you were able to talk the dissenters into agreeing.  That's fine.

But what would you have done if you had an owner who was very fortunate and didn't have any players on the teams with positive Covid tests, and said "Hey, this is b.s.  These rules were not there at the beginning and now you're putting them in and helping my opponents even though I never agreed to them."  And this guy is threatening to quit because, in his opinion, we all knew Covid would cause problems and we assumed this risk when we joined.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Rotocious said:

Just make the 2nd game 3 quarters instead of 4.

... or shorten the field to 50 yds.